Sell Outs

This is a topic near and dear to my heart. Some favorite musicians of mine have sold out. This has been touched on in different threads in this and the Fractal forum, but it always goes off the main topic, so I though I’d make it a main topic here.

What does it mean to you?

Who has done it, and how?

Do you feel that it’s something people even care about any more?

Last edited:
I don't give a flying duck. I've grown old, stopped liking some music I liked when I was young, started liking some other music, developed other interests...
They're also just people who grew old, stopped liking some music they made when they were young, started liking some other music, developed other interests...
Life goes on, we're not children.

most times people who refer to bands as sell outs are jealous or upset they cant see them anymore for 10 bucks and those same people would take the money if it was ever offered to them

life is short. fuck bitches, get money. if your band blows up i'm happy for ya.

From chat-gee-pee-tee

Prompt: "what does it mean for a musician to sell out?"
When a musician is accused of "selling out," it means that they are perceived to have compromised their artistic integrity or personal values in exchange for commercial gain, popularity, or mainstream appeal. This usually involves shifting from a unique, authentic sound or message to one that is more widely accessible, often seen as more generic or corporate-friendly.

The term is often used critically by fans or critics who feel that the musician's original work was more genuine and that the change was made primarily for financial reasons or broader success, rather than for artistic evolution or experimentation.

Prompt: "what are examples of artists that could be considered a sell out?"

1. Metallica

• Why Considered a Sell-Out: Metallica faced backlash after releasing their 1991 self-titled album (often called The Black Album). It featured a more mainstream sound, with shorter songs and more radio-friendly production, moving away from their earlier thrash metal roots.
  • The Debate: While some fans viewed this shift as a betrayal, others appreciated the band's evolution and broader success. The album remains one of their most commercially successful releases.

Yeah that's the first thing it listed KISS was #6 :rofl

Admittedly, the “sell out!” tag is a trigger for me.

Particularly the Metallica one based off the fact that from the very beginning their goal was to be the “biggest metal in the world”, they never once said they wanted to be the best/biggest thrash metal band. I have nothing but respect for those guys for that, even if I don’t dig all the music that got them to that point.

My overall gripe with the term being used toward people is that no one really knows what someone’s motivations are, at best it’s assumption and at worst it’s unrecognized projection.

I think it means abandoning your principles as a trade for something of value. I’m curious what others’ definitions are.
Yes, but in the context of your OP. Do you mean:

• Starting a YT channel
  • Writing later music that you don't feel is up to their earlier material
  • Promoting other business interests (John Petrucci selling IR's)
  • Taking endorsements
It could mean various things.

Whatever form it takes, I don't have a problem with it mainly because my interpretation of their motivation for doing so could be completely wrong.

I've heard people claim JP sold out when he switched to EBMM for example. But he may have simply gotten a company more willing and able to build him the guitars he truly wanted, and, had the means to do so at the volume to allow his fans to play the same exact guitars he does.

Being a full-time musician doesn’t pay shit. If you have to sell out to put food on the table, by all means, go for it. I know I don’t have the balls to do it.

Truth! Not sure why False Dichotomy Friday seems to be a thing today. :LOL:

We can support a family/ourself/dependants and also be true to our craft/art.

Some might argue that is the more difficult path. And rightly so. :idk

Admittedly, the “sell out!” tag is a trigger for me.

Particularly the Metallica one based off the fact that from the very beginning their goal was to be the “biggest metal in the world”, they never once said they wanted to be the best/biggest thrash metal band. I have nothing but respect for those guys for that, even if I don’t dig all the music that got them to that point.

My overall gripe with the term being used toward people is that no one really knows what someone’s motivations are, at best it’s assumption and at worst it’s unrecognized projection.

Yeah, I was wondering if you'e weigh in on the Metallica question, because I've read your thoughts in other threads about this. I'm totally on the other side about those guys.

I think the way anyone defines selling out is a very personal, and can be a very subject, thing. To me I think they just became lazy.

Now, what you wrote at the end I'm so on the other side, even moreso than just the Metallica question. I think we have to assume a ton about people in order to deal with them, and it's unreasonable to act like you can withhold assuming people's motivations. To me, when I read your conclusion at the end, I think what you're saying is simply that you are just assuming different motivations from them that I am!

To me it's as simple as when you meet someone in person and you say to yourself "What a phony." Your instinct is everything here.

Back