Quad Cortex plugin support officially goes from "soon" to "eventually"

I do think they are genuinely working on it, but the blog post this thread is about clearly shows they don't have the resources to do all of it

i have no doubts there's at least plans to get that done. But all too apparently, it's not just as easy. Or their resources are too limited. Either way, it's frustrating for their users - and having to wait longer and longer certainly doesn't help.

I don't have an Apple silicon Mac yet so I don't know the ramifications of x86 plugin running on the Rosetta translation layer vs native ARM and what problems that causes for DAW usage.

I think it differs quite a bit from DAW to DAW. From all I know (no silicon Mac for me yet, either), Logic doesn't require you to run the DAW itself in Rosetta mode (even if it sometimes seems to help), just the plugins. Other DAWs however will have to be started in Rosetta mode, usually causing noticeably less efficient performance. So there's certainly some pressure for plugin makers to get things done - and there's been more than enough time by now (and I'm saying that as someone absolutely loathing Apple's strategies in terms of breaking compatibility all the time).

i have no doubts there's at least plans to get that done. But all too apparently, it's not just as easy. Or their resources are too limited. Either way, it's frustrating for their users - and having to wait longer and longer certainly doesn't help.

I think it differs quite a bit from DAW to DAW. From all I know (no silicon Mac for me yet, either), Logic doesn't require you to run the DAW itself in Rosetta mode (even if it sometimes seems to help), just the plugins. Other DAWs however will have to be started in Rosetta mode, usually causing noticeably less efficient performance. So there's certainly some pressure for plugin makers to get things done - and there's been more than enough time by now (and I'm saying that as someone absolutely loathing Apple's strategies in terms of breaking compatibility all the time).

I could be wrong but I'm %99 sure Presonus Studio One and all its plugins and instruments etc... is already %100 Native Apple Silicon complete / done (?)

Ben

There is a (now infamous) thread on TGP from a guy contemplating a lawsuit against NDSP. Most of the comments were trash, but an actual lawyer had a couple interesting takes there. In particular, he noted the main issue is jurisdiction: the QC sells all over the world, through business partnerships.

So yeah, there are potential legal angles regarding false advertisement and manipulation of terms, but it is not clear who would be liable, and for what. NDSP is a Finnish company, where they have relatively sane consumer protection law frameworks, but a lawsuit in, say, the US would likely impact Sweetwater alone.

I've been reading that thread and I think the outcome of any such a lawsuit would not be worth starting it (even if it could possibly be successful). You might get your money back or they might send you a new PSU and that was likely it.
Personally, I'd rather just keep warning people. And I know at least 1-2 persons who didn't buy a QC because of my advice.

I could be wrong but I'm %99 sure Presonus Studio One and all its plugins and instruments etc... is already %100 Native Apple Silicon complete / done (?)

Likely. But there's still quite some other plugins not running natively under silicone (half of the NI Komplete suite or so).

and there's been more than enough time by now (and I'm saying that as someone absolutely loathing Apple's strategies in terms of breaking compatibility all the time).
I definitely agree, Apple CPUs have been out for about 2 years now, with dev kits available longer than that so plugin developers have had ample time to upgrade their stuff. I get it might not be easy though.

Also agree about Apple's "hey we broke this or removed a totally functional feature, deal with it!" shenanigans.

As an audio guy in the industry... who would you want to work for? A company that has no resources, but gives you all the free bread and lectures on politics and social issues that you could ever ask for and enforces a crunch mentality but don't worry guys, free pizza for everyone if you stay in the office till 11pm every night!!

... versus a company that has resources, understands the market, performs user research before undertaking huge risky financial moves, and ultimately empowers you to make decisions that enable you as an individual to do the best things for your product line?

I know which company I'd pick.

I wouldn’t want to be an NDSP employee right now looking at all their social media pages. If there’s not an abrupt about face coming with their customers within the next 3 months I’d be surprised. You have to look across multiple areas to get an idea of what I’m talking about; Discord, FB user group and the Unity forum. There are several things that seem from an outsider to be coming to a head; development pace, a steady stream of RMA’d units with increasing wait times on returns (some customers reporting 6+ weeks for communication about their units they already sent in, some who are just getting ‘still figuring it out’ as an answer), it’s current functionality and customer expectations…..

I know in my job, I have to focus some of my attention on ALL things happening at my job on a daily basis; daily work, upcoming work, complaints, managing my staff and tenant expectations. If I let one of those things slip for one day, there’s hell to pay. One dip in communication can cause a lawyer to call me up reading a lease to me, one work order slips by and someone feels they aren’t getting the attention they deserve and it snowballs…..I just wouldn’t want to be dealing with ANY of that mess they’ve created. F*ck that.

I wouldn’t want to be an NDSP employee right now looking at all their social media pages. If there’s not an abrupt about face coming with their customers within the next 3 months I’d be surprised.

100% anecdotal, mind you, but i've seeing quite a lot of Quad Corteces for sale as of recently. Used prices have also been falling down a cliff - see f.ex. Reverb:

Screenshot from 2023-03-06 15-08-21.png

I don't believe the QC (nor the company) are anywhere near the point of no return... but a little love to their paying customers would go a long way.

Last edited:
If nothing else, this recent update is a major improvement in terms of clarity, level of detail, and overall tone (i.e. less unwarranted hubris than usual.) But it just proves out what I've said in the past: NDSP is already in a damned if they do, damned if they don't scenario with this crowd.

For my part, I woke up this morning wondering what the return policy is on my ToneX pedal, and seriously considering selling most of my other gear apart from my QC. All of these "issues" aside, the QC simply gets the job done better, more quickly, than anything else I own.

#notkevin
#notwaterbound
#gluttonforpunishment
#bellend

As an audio guy in the industry... who would you want to work for? A company that has no resources, but gives you all the free bread and lectures on politics and social issues that you could ever ask for and enforces a crunch mentality but don't worry guys, free pizza for everyone if you stay in the office till 11pm every night!!

... versus a company that has resources, understands the market, performs user research before undertaking huge risky financial moves, and ultimately empowers you to make decisions that enable you as an individual to do the best things for your product line?

I know which company I'd pick.

What kind of bread?

If nothing else, this recent update is a major improvement in terms of clarity, level of detail, and overall tone (i.e. less unwarranted hubris than usual.) But it just proves out what I've said in the past: NDSP is already in a damned if they do, damned if they don't scenario with this crowd.

For my part, I woke up this morning wondering what the return policy is on my ToneX pedal, and seriously considering selling most of my other gear apart from my QC. All of these "issues" aside, the QC simply gets the job done better, more quickly, than anything else I own.

#notkevin
#notwaterbound
#gluttonforpunishment
#bellend
Steps to enjoying Tone-X

1. Make your own captures.
2. Download TexHex, LRS and BHP captures.
3. Integrate it with something else for effects.

Banging your head against the wall over software and interface woes on that device is a sure fire recipe for an endless series of brain injuries :oops: :rofl

Steps to enjoying Tone-X

1. Make your own captures.
2. Download TexHex, LRS and BHP captures.
3. Integrate it with something else for effects.

Banging your head against the wall over software and interface woes on that device is a sure fire recipe for an endless series of brain injuries :oops: :rofl
4. Use your Quad Cortex.

The parade of double standards on this one is just a little glaring. I get that the ToneX was only $400, but that's not nothing. From there we have: also stole its most fundamental selling point from Kemper (and in more specific terms, one could argue, from NDSP! But here, no one cares.) Has a genuinely f***ed up UI (whereas on NDSP we managed to ferret out a couple of details we didn't love. But here, no one cares.) Comes from big corporate entity with a long history of selling lots of discrete products a la microtransactions, as if they were trying to *gasp* make money. (Not IK, surely...)

I don't want to overstate my frustration. The ToneX pedal is cool, and it is a GREAT value. But it's actually been a distraction for me, more than anything else. I probably shouldn't have rushed to register the half dozen software products that came with (I think), because now I don't know how to put the genie back in the bottle.

Also, i haven't tried the Tonex pedal yet, but from what i've seen/heard/read... i don't disagree with your pain points.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that people grade these devices on a curve. ToneX sells for almost one fifth of the QC, so expectations are completely different.

4. Use your Quad Cortex.

The parade of double standards on this one is just a little glaring. I get that the ToneX was only $400, but that's not nothing. From there we have: also stole its most fundamental selling point from Kemper (and in more specific terms, one could argue, from NDSP! But here, no one cares.) Has a genuinely f***ed up UI (whereas on NDSP we managed to ferret out a couple of details we didn't love. But here, no one cares.) Comes from big corporate entity with a long history of selling lots of discrete products a la microtransactions, as if they were trying to *gasp* make money. (Not IK, surely...)

I don't want to overstate my frustration. The ToneX pedal is cool, and it is a GREAT value. But it's actually been a distraction for me, more than anything else. I probably shouldn't have rushed to register the half dozen software products that came with (I think), because now I don't know how to put the genie back in the bottle.
The double standard for me comes strictly from the "arrogance at launch" factor. If it floats your boat; that's what all this is about. Other than repetitive griping :bag :rofl

On the bolded part; I agree 1000%. That all being said; it's an absolute TREAT when coupled with some curated FX :chef

Also, i haven't tried the Tonex pedal yet, but from what i've seen/heard/read... i don't disagree with your pain points.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that people grade these devices on a curve. ToneX sells for almost one fifth of the QC, so expectations are completely different.
Never underestimate the power of 20% the purchase price and a circuit board without gloat quotes printed on it :grin

Back