Purging all my gear and getting an Axe FX 3

Yeah I don't get the obsession with having hundreds of amps models at your fingertips.
Really?

The point for me is, I can pick whatever amplifier I want to play with which is probably three or four.

Sometimes I just wanna try something new.

But calling it, obsessive… lol

I Love You Elf GIF by MOODMAN

Really?

The point for me is, I can pick whatever amplifier I want to play with which is probably three or four.

Sometimes I just wanna try something new.

But calling it, obsessive… lol
Yes I believe from observation on forums some people are obsessed with the idea of having hundreds of amps. Whether that is you or not is up to each person to decide. Interesting you internalized it as if I was speaking about you.

I’m not obsessed about having that many, and could certainly get by with something like 10. But having access to hundreds is FUN. Trying different marshall flavors = fun. Trying FAS created amps = fun. Playing dumbles and trainwrecks that I would never play through in real life = fun.

Yes I believe from observation on forums some people are obsessed with the idea of having hundreds of amps. Whether that is you or not is up to each person to decide. Interesting you internalized it as if I was speaking about you.
Meh. I have seen folks that are obsessed with every way they can brag about the superiority of their modeler, one point of which is the number of amp models on-board. I can't recall anyone just going out and looking for the modeler with the longest list. I mean, the Zoom MG-50 I think probably had more amp models than the Helix in some of the early days, but I doubt anyone was considering going with the MG-50 over the Helix because it had more amp models.

If I like two amp modeling platforms and one has more amp models than the other, within the tonal area that I like...well, that does become a positive check mark in its favor. Why wouldn't it?

I think the point being even though we’re all going to have 3-4 amps we consistently go to, which 3-4 that ends up being for any given user, will vary. So hundreds of amps does sort of serve a purpose, beyond just being there for rainy days.

Last edited:

Just as much as you were congenitally compelled to cast aspersions and negative sentiment in your last sentence.

homer simpson episode 6 GIF

I think the point being even though we’re all going to have 3-4 amps we consistently go to, which 3-4 that ends up being for any given user, will vary. So hundreds of amps does sort of serve a purpose, beyond just being there for rainy days.
“Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.”

“Two is one, one is none.”

;)

Running everything into the same cabinet really does homogenize the sound quite a bit, but I think for me that can be a big help. For years when I get annoyed by the sound of the modeler, I look for different IR's or a different amp model or change the EQ/cuts, etc. But I think now it would have been a lot simpler to just run into a guitar speaker.

Even the last couple of days, I was trying to get a good tone out of IR's into monitors and it's not quite happening, but plugging back into the Catalyst 60 (cheap as it is), much better.

This is exactly why I spend more time on my FM9/guitar cabs rig than I do my studio rig which is just my AxeFX into studio monitors. I literally just pull up an amp head, turn the knobs until it’s something I dig and I’m good to go, without the IR searching. And the cab/speaker interaction is just a bit more fun do to amp in the room stuff or not feeling like you’re playing a modeler.

The only time I’m making new presets on my AxeFX rig is when I’m recording and often times, I’m just tweaking existing presets to work for the song I’m recording. Thankfully, between my own presets and Austin Buddy’s, I pretty much have everything ready to go so I’m not spending much time with the IR searching.

And even if I’m not using the ideal speaker/cab combo with a specific head, (like V30’s and a Fender Twin), it’s generally just a simple EQ tweak to get them sounding how I want.

This is exactly why I spend more time on my FM9/guitar cabs rig than I do my studio rig which is just my AxeFX into studio monitors. I literally just pull up an amp head, turn the knobs until it’s something I dig and I’m good to go, without the IR searching. And the cab/speaker interaction is just a bit more fun do to amp in the room stuff or not feeling like you’re playing a modeler.

The only time I’m making new presets on my AxeFX rig is when I’m recording and often times, I’m just tweaking existing presets to work for the song I’m recording. Thankfully, between my own presets and Austin Buddy’s, I pretty much have everything ready to go so I’m not spending much time with the IR searching.

And even if I’m not using the ideal speaker/cab combo with a specific head, (like V30’s and a Fender Twin), it’s generally just a simple EQ tweak to get them sounding how I want.

I got an XLR to 1/4" cable to run from the Fractal into my Cat 60 modeler input, so now I can run two different outputs simultaneously. I split the end of the signal chain into two outputs:

Output 1 has no cab block and that goes to the Cat 60 for amp in the room.
Output 2 has a stereo cab block (using the legacy 60 and 61 cabs which are on the warmer side) out into the interface and studio monitors.

That actually helps quite a bit to dial in the cab block and sound a little more natural. Another thing, I pushed my monitors back a bit more so there's a little more space and turn them up a little louder, and that seems to help.

I forgot just how incredibly powerful the vanilla Axe FX 3 is. Dual amps and cabs and stereo effects and ultra high reverb and still not even at 50% CPU.

I’ve maxed mine out exactly one time and it was because I was trying to, I’ve still yet to do it with any presets that I actually use, I just wanted to see what it would take. Even my craziest of presets are only hitting around the 60% mark, but I don’t really do kitchen sink presets.

Back