Purging all my gear and getting an Axe FX 3

Is there? Mine has been working pretty much perfectly as is since day one. There's used to be a "recording delay" you had to set up in your daw, but that was fixed a while ago.
Ah nice. Last I saw; that instructional thread on FAS forum was still rolling because of this. Duly noted and good to know.

I've found that the more options I have, the more time I spend comparing them, and the less time I spend playing. I've also found that gear seems to invite more gear, and a lot of the stuff I bought to "simplify" my setup resulted in making things way more complicated (such as running multiple modelers on a board with other pedals).

Reading this hit home. I recently pulled a bunch of stuff off my desk and slimmed it down to Axe-Fx/interface/computer so that when I sit down to write or record something it doesn't turn into "I wonder if I can accurately match the asymmetric waveform of this obscure old chorus pedal on the Axe". I keep my pedals and rack stuff out of the way now and only introduce when I'm explicitly doing a demo or comparison for the YT channel. It's made both of those workflows a little smoother and more productive too.

Looking forward to hearing you you like the slimmed down setup.

Reading this hit home. I recently pulled a bunch of stuff off my desk and slimmed it down to Axe-Fx/interface/computer so that when I sit down to write or record something it doesn't turn into "I wonder if I can accurately match the asymmetric waveform of this obscure old chorus pedal on the Axe". I keep my pedals and rack stuff out of the way now and only introduce when I'm explicitly doing a demo or comparison for the YT channel. It's made both of those workflows a little smoother and more productive too.

I always have that thought process too but then you go and do pedal reviews (like the H90) and I'm like "what's one more pedal?" :beer

Yes that need to compare things is one of my pitfalls. For what you do in creating YT content (always awesome by the way), it's super useful and entertaining. For getting better on the instrument or for writing music, it's a huge impediment.

The same thing happens to me with guitars. The more I have, the more I end up tinkering with things like pickups, rather than just playing them. At some point I could see getting rid of a couple, although I don't have a massive collection at this point.

In early 2020 we were selling our house, and that meant I had to keep my place spotless for showings. I had all my guitars and excess gear packed up in storage. I kept two guitars at my house, one acoustic and one electric. For gear I just had my Axe FX 3 and a pair of headphones. I could set up or put in a closet within about two minutes. Had to focus more on playing than on gear.

Agreed. I decided to stick with Fractal because it does everything I need a modeler to do.

Fortunately I was born without the FOMO gene.
Welcome!

Joining Welcome Home GIF

It's only me..

So what's the backstory on this?

I don’t think I was there for the start of it, but if I remember right, he was holding off on buying a modeling unit because he was looking into hot tubs, but it was going on for so long it just became a joke. Due to his hard takes on modeling units that I don’t believe he ever actually tried, he kind of opened himself up to the jokes. He cracked me up a lot, I don’t think he’s a bad dude at all, just opinionated and he liked to stir the pot a bit, mostly with the NDSP guys.

Back