Poly Verbs

yeky83

Roadie
Convolution reverbs in a pedal. 48 presets, 8 of which can be filled with imported IRs.

Guess it’s cool for those who dig this kind of thing, but IR’s largely sound like ass to me compared to good algorithmic stuff. IR’s can be cool for springs and chambers but they get congested quick, sound boring and modulation on them sounds baffling compared to a more complex algo verb.

Haven’t checked the video(s) yet, curious how well it holds up to the better algo stuff.

Sounds very good!

Here's a video from EytchPi42 where he demoes all the space options:

I'm not sure if I would swap my favorite algorithmic reverbs for this. Looking at the controls, you've got pre-delay (Onset), Mix, Low cut and Smoosh which "Spreads and expands the sound particles to fill the void" according to the manual.

Which means that if you don't like how long the decay is on a reverb the best you can do is reduce mix or pick a different reverb. Which at least to me seems you might end up in similar annoyances as e.g a one knob amp reverb where the reverb is too long and splashy and reducing mix can't fix it.

Last edited:
@Sascha Franck this seems in your wheelhouse

Unfortunately just sort of, because...

Which means that if you don't like how long the decay is on a reverb the best you can do is reduce mix or pick a different reverb.

This!
One of the most important things when dealing with fancy IRs as reverbs for me is being able to at least somewhat shape their decays. That alone allows you to get sooo much more out of just a handful IRs (you'd just keep them as long as you may ever need them and shorten them to your temporary needs using whatever kind of envlope).
8 user slots isn't exactly a lot, either.
Given all that, it's pretty a expensive unit.

Unfortunately just sort of, because...

This!
One of the most important things when dealing with fancy IRs as reverbs for me is being able to at least somewhat shape their decays. That alone allows you to get sooo much more out of just a handful IRs (you'd just keep them as long as you may ever need them and shorten them to your temporary needs using whatever kind of envlope).
8 user slots isn't exactly a lot, either.
Given all that, it's pretty a expensive unit.
Wouldn't you control the decay when making your IR?

Convolution reverbs in a pedal. 48 presets, 8 of which can be filled with imported IRs.

I'll ask here rather than via PM. How would adjusting decay, etc., work in real world of real-time effect parameter modification? Are the following two scenarios the equivalent, mathematically?

(1) Apply envelope Z to the OG IR; sound comes in is processed by the enveloped IR, envelope-IRed audio signal is output.
(2) sound comes in and is processed by OG IR, envelope Z is applied, IRed-enveloped audio signal is output.

i.e., in that scenario would IRed-enveloped audio signal = envelope-IRed audio signal?

Wouldn't you control the decay when making your IR?

Yes and no. You can obviously "burn" the decay into the IR - but all it does is taking away flexibility. So when I'm creating IRs, I usually just keep them long enough for all "just in case" scenarios (let's say 5 seconds is a decent length) and then just adjust their decays in Logic's Space Designer to accomodate the actual situation. Works absolutely great and allows me to get *way* more mileage of a single IR - which would be pretty important for a unit only allowing you to store 8 user IRs. Just a single of my creations would possibly eat up half of those slots in case I wanted different decays.

i.e., in that scenario would IRed-enveloped audio signal = envelope-IRed audio signal?

No. Just compare it to the decay of a reverb. Even if your input is very short notes, a 5 second reverb remains a 5 second reverb. And it works just the same on all IR loaders.

Yes and no. You can obviously "burn" the decay into the IR - but all it does is taking away flexibility. So when I'm creating IRs, I usually just keep them long enough for all "just in case" scenarios (let's say 5 seconds is a decent length) and then just adjust their decays in Logic's Space Designer to accomodate the actual situation. Works absolutely great and allows me to get *way* more mileage of a single IR - which would be pretty important for a unit only allowing you to store 8 user IRs. Just a single of my creations would possibly eat up half of those slots in case I wanted different decays.
If the answer to my earlier question is actually "no" as you assert, then it 100% explains why there is no decay control on this device. Being able to process IRs of this length in a pedal alone is impressive, if one were going to have to be applying a user-adustable envelope to the IR stored in memory and then applying this enveloped IR to the input signal...that just made the job even harder.

Being able to process IRs of this length in a pedal alone is impressive

Really? Why? I can process several IRs simultaneously on a 2008 Macbook and a ton of them on any more or less actual iPad, including envelope modifications (which, at least when using Space Designer, don't use up any extra CPU as the IR is recalculated once you adjust the envelope).
Also, the Logidy Epsi was able to process IRs up to 6 seconds in length 10 years ago already.

Really? Why? I can process several IRs simultaneously on a 2008 Macbook and a ton of them on any more or less actual iPad, including envelope modifications (which, at least when using Space Designer, don't use up any extra CPU as the IR is recalculated once you adjust the envelope).
Also, the Logidy Epsi was able to process IRs up to 6 seconds in length 10 years ago already.
Yes, its trivial. That's why there are so many IR loader pedals that can handle five second IRs on the market...

Also, its not your lack of sense of humor that makes folks find you abrasive as your sig line seems to suggest you think. It's the excessive abrasiveness that makes people find you abrasive.

Also, its not your lack of sense of humor that makes folks find you abrasive as your sig line seems to suggest you think. It's the excessive abrasiveness that makes people find you abrasive.

You can keep the BS to yourself. Thank you.
Edit: Alternatively, write me a PM so we can sort this. But you won't, as you seem to enjoy having a go at me again and again and again.

I'd say this is an issue for a pedal, then. Nobody wants to hear any of the options available if this is the case while turning a knob on a pedal.

I don't understand that. It wouldn't be a realtime tweakable process then, but well, without an envelope, it's not a process at all.

I don't understand that. It wouldn't be a realtime tweakable process then, but well, without an envelope, it's not a process at all.
Because not everyone who uses guitar pedals thinks like you do. I think the VAST majority of folks would be super annoyed at either the sound staying exactly the same when a knob is tweaked, silence when a knob is tweaked, or a garbaled mess when a knob is tweaked. I would also expect a pedal that could store the OG IR in its slot, keep a working memory slot for the processed IR, and process the IR in various ways with various knobs would be...more than $399.

Would it be awesome and a lot more useful with such an onboard envelope option? 100%. But one can reasonable understand (1) why it doesn't and (2) that if it did so most folks would look at it and think "that's cool, but too rich for my blood".

Back