Pete Thorn ToneX video!!!

That’s a self referential credibility qualifier from Pete. Doesn’t really mean anything.

However I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with doing paid demos, and I wouldn’t expect someone to point out many deficiencies in a product being demonstrated given the nature of the business relationship in that field.

I’m just wondering what’s a distinguishing element that wouldn’t make it a form of shilling?
It’s interesting because he’s not only advertising a product, but also a professional accomplished guitarist as well.
“I really love this pedal” insinuates he’s actually using the item he’s demoing, which would be impossible. He’s demoed so much stuff he either has a very lucrative eBay account or an incredibly big storage room.
“I really love this pedal” can very well mean it’s good enough, but he’ll never actually use it and may be using a competitors product because it’s better. Nothing wrong or unethical about that. Still, the insinuation is hard to get past and always in the subconscious.

Let's look at the definition of shill:

It has a negative connotation, like someone is purposefully misrepresenting themselves. I don't see that with Pete.
If you were to say (prove) Pete cares more deeply about pushing gear than making music, then maybe I would agree with you.
Given the definition in that case I’d say shill isn’t the correct term. Though for many years Pete didn’t have a paid promotion disclaimer until YouTube started requiring one. I don’t really have a correct term right off the top of my head, though I’d say Pete is more similar to the Duncan Yo-Yo Man. Demonstrating what happens when he uses something, however results may vary at home. A commercial essentially.

Last edited:
When original music has been financially gutted in this current climate the only way to get paid is to demo gear for
manufacturers, retail outlets, and distributors. It's the new normal.

I also don't think there will be a single soul involved in that endeavour who will not be tainted by the new paradigm
for a professional/working musician.

A commercial essentially.
With caveats though. Pete, from my understanding, is not obligated to have his demo videos given a 'stamp of approval' from the manufacture. Yet, having his videos full of negative commentary wouldn't do him any good either (at least in the way he sees 'good'). And honestly, based on the OP video, he doesn't have to be negative. Believe it or not, all the steps involved to get to where he got at the end is a major turn off for a lot of players.

I mostly watch videos not really for the tones as thats totally different than what you actually hear if bought a said product be it guitars amps or pedals, its mostly what features it has and what can or can't be done and if its suited to what you want
:idk

With caveats though. Pete, from my understanding, is not obligated to have his demo videos given a 'stamp of approval' from the manufacture. Yet, having his videos full of negative commentary wouldn't do him any good either (at least in the way he sees 'good'). And honestly, based on the OP video, he doesn't have to be negative. Believe it or not, all the steps involved to get to where he got at the end is a major turn off for a lot of players.
I’m just going to throw this out there. I’m familiar with his video philosophy that he’s expressed at various times along with some caveats he’s shared after release about certain demos he’s done at various times. I’ve also spoken with Pete Thorn in person before. He’s generally polite and pleasant—as long as it’s outside of politics.

For me the conversation is about paid product demonstrations in general. Pete Thorn just happens to be the example in this thread.

I’m just going to throw this out there. I’m familiar with his video philosophy that he’s expressed at various times along with some caveats he’s shared after release about certain demos he’s done at various times. I’ve also spoken with Pete Thorn in person before. He’s generally polite and pleasant—as long as it’s outside of politics.

For me the conversation is about paid product demonstrations in general. Pete Thorn just happens to be the example in this thread.
Honestly, I don't know his politics. I don't follow him on any social media other than interactions at the other place and youtube stuff. He seems like a cool dude though.

well, you had me curious so i checked his twitter page. I'm not surprised, kinda figured really. I still stand by my opinions with his vids though.

Well this is my Regime and this is what my time permits, I do have to work and there are house chores & errands as well
and its every day, weekends may vary sometimes more sometimes less

Stones Daily Practice Regime

AM: ~2.5hrs

1) Hand Stretching exercise = ~5-8 Minutes
2) Fingerboard exercise, spider walk, scale runs with metronome = ~25 Minutes
3) Chord progressions and changes / timing = ~15 Minutes
4) Current song/goal practice, learn parts From lesson, varies 25-40 Minutes
5) Play along with part on repeat normal or slowed down with you tube once parts all learnt put it all together = ~60 – 75 Minutes

PM: ~30 Minutes

1) Hand stretching exercise = ~5-8 Minutes
2) Play along with part on repeat normal or slowed down with you tube ~ 20-25 Minutes

3) Tweak tones With Helix/ Now Fractal ~ 20-30 Minutes
4) Watch videos & read on dialing tone and understanding effect, chains, routing and other Helix/Fractal Modeling related content = 1-2 Hours

After Work my brain is fried so I don’t get in much time PM
I don’t really watch TV
Far be it from me to suggest how to practice stuff unless some one is my student.

But you are making my point with the tweaking and YouTube stuff as well as the scale exercises etc. could me streamlined and the stuff like time/chord, songs being the bulk.

well, you had me curious so i checked his twitter page. I'm not surprised, kinda figured really. I still stand by my opinions with his vids though.
I have no problem with peoples opinions no matter how extreme they may be. I have a problem being browbeat when trying to communicate with someone like an adult about said opinion.
Why would anyone give a public opinion to thousands of people if they didn’t want discussion? It’s like shouting an opinion into a soccer stadium and expecting people to not ask “but why” or say “I feel otherwise about XYZ”. It’s bizarre to me to word vomit out an opinion on a social platform and expect either everyone agree with you or stay silent.
Because I feel different about something doesn’t make me a bad person or unworthy of the same respect you give the echo chamber. Engage. If you bring it up you obviously want to talk about it. If I engage I want to talk about it, too.
Not Pete. Fall in line or suffer a browbeating wrath.
No thanks. Dickish behavior. I don’t care who he’s played with or how good he is.

I’d rather he admit to someone he doesn’t agree with that they just don’t see eye to eye.

Funny thing is from what I saw, Twitter was his only social where he did this. All his other socials were very chill. I super chatted his YouTube a bunch when I used to watch and enjoy his Sunday thing.

I just will never understand why grown men and women of even average intelligence can’t communicate on an issue without it ending up in the toilet. This doesn’t happen IRL. It happens on social media because you can’t lose teeth on the internet. When someone is sitting across from you, we tend to be better mannered in general. For god sakes if you like Floyds and someone else likes fixed bridges, all of a sudden they’re mortal enemies. The competition, narcissism and general tearing down of the next person is completely out of control these days. I’m so glad I flushed the social media toilet over a year ago now. Looking back it was all so stupid. Look at my dinner. Look at my dog. Here look at my balls too while you’re at it. Nothing is personal any more. Want my political opinion? Marry one of my cousins or know me for 20 years you might get it. It’s personal. People have to earn that. It’s not a flag to wave. No one has a unique opinion. It doesn’t make anyone special. Half the country has the same opinion and the other half doesn’t even consider you a person anymore, much less a countryman.

If we don’t get a hell of a lot better at communication, none of this is going to end well.

It’s interesting because he’s not only advertising a product, but also a professional accomplished guitarist as well.
“I really love this pedal” insinuates he’s actually using the item he’s demoing, which would be impossible. He’s demoed so much stuff he either has a very lucrative eBay account or an incredibly big storage room.
“I really love this pedal” can very well mean it’s good enough, but he’ll never actually use it and may be using a competitors product because it’s better. Nothing wrong or unethical about that. Still, the insinuation is hard to get past and always in the subconscious.
You can like - or even dislike - something and still consider it a product that will work well for someone else.

As an example, I won't bother with the Tonex because I don't like IK's policy on reselling, I don't like how the pedal operates for any deeper functions like cab sim adjustments, I don't like how the Tonex software works. But for someone else these might not be issues and they will instead like that they can package their favorite amps into a small, cheap box that will sound very close to those amps while not having to take their expensive stuff on tour.

Similarly I'll gladly recommend a Helix to anyone because I think it's a good product even if I prefer Fractal.

I feel like many make the mistake that these are reviews rather than product demos. Product demos are not meant to be a critical look at the device but to showcase its capabilities. You can of course read that as dishonest representation, but again, demos, not reviews. It's forums like this one and yes, even ThatOtherPlace, where you do find the nitty gritty details on all the bad stuff. I look at YouTube videos to see how it sounds and get a general idea of how it works.

Funny thing is from what I saw, Twitter was his only social where he did this. All his other socials were very chill. I super chatted his YouTube a bunch when I used to watch and enjoy his Sunday thing.

I just will never understand why grown men and women of even average intelligence can’t communicate on an issue without it ending up in the toilet. This doesn’t happen IRL. It happens on social media because you can’t lose teeth on the internet. When someone is sitting across from you, we tend to be better mannered in general. For god sakes if you like Floyds and someone else likes fixed bridges, all of a sudden they’re mortal enemies. The competition, narcissism and general tearing down of the next person is completely out of control these days. I’m so glad I flushed the social media toilet over a year ago now. Looking back it was all so stupid. Look at my dinner. Look at my dog. Here look at my balls too while you’re at it. Nothing is personal any more. Want my political opinion? Marry one of my cousins or know me for 20 years you might get it. It’s personal. People have to earn that. It’s not a flag to wave. No one has a unique opinion. It doesn’t make anyone special. Half the country has the same opinion and the other half doesn’t even consider you a person anymore, much less a countryman.

If we don’t get a hell of a lot better at communication, none of this is going to end well.
Makes me wonder if that’s him. Not one thing in there about music or his signature gear. I never even knew what his politics were but I only see his channel and his interactions on forums where political view sharing is a no go. Maybe he uses just that to rant about politics because that’s what it seems full of? Weird.

Last edited:
Gotta say I'm digging Thorn even more after visiting his Twitter account.
Opposite for me. Twitter can bring out the worst in people, and apparently Pete is no exception. The contrast compared with his musical life is night and day. It's so odd and out of place. Like @ejecta says - makes you wonder if that's him? But you know, people get much bolder with written word. They wouldn't dare say most of those things to someone's face, and for good reason.

You can like - or even dislike - something and still consider it a product that will work well for someone else.

As an example, I won't bother with the Tonex because I don't like IK's policy on reselling, I don't like how the pedal operates for any deeper functions like cab sim adjustments, I don't like how the Tonex software works. But for someone else these might not be issues and they will instead like that they can package their favorite amps into a small, cheap box that will sound very close to those amps while not having to take their expensive stuff on tour.

Similarly I'll gladly recommend a Helix to anyone because I think it's a good product even if I prefer Fractal.

I feel like many make the mistake that these are reviews rather than product demos. Product demos are not meant to be a critical look at the device but to showcase its capabilities. You can of course read that as dishonest representation, but again, demos, not reviews. It's forums like this one and yes, even ThatOtherPlace, where you do find the nitty gritty details on all the bad stuff. I look at YouTube videos to see how it sounds and get a general idea of how it works.
No doubt. For every piece of gear I may not dig, someone is out there making it sound awesome.

That’s cool and all. I just prefer the reviews or demos delivered by NOT a dick.

Back