Pete Thorn ToneX video!!!

Seems the shortest and cheaper way to good tone is practice.

It defenitely is (at least assuming a certain basic sound quality is ensured, which it should be for pretty much everyone).
And well, no pun intended (seriously), but people rather spend some hard earned money on a new piece of kit than another playing hour.

It defenitely is (at least assuming a certain basic sound quality is ensured, which it should be for pretty much everyone).
And well, no pun intended (seriously), but people rather spend some hard earned money on a new piece of kit than another playing hour.
as you said "Some" this is not true of everyone some like me practice a lot (as much as time permits) but still like nice gear
so it varies by individual really

Or Making great quality products sound as amateur as posible for the pleasure of some.....
I admit I can’t always pick up on sarcasm; so not sure if you were responding to me negatively.

However, ther ARE tons of videos where people with incredible gear sound terrible, and people with mediocre gear sound great.

So technically, all our bases are covered!

20 years or so ago I saw him play with Robi Draco Rosa in an awards show he sounded so good everything was perfect! And I’ve been a fan since then and his demos always remind me that is not the gear.
Draco is amazing!!! Man that show must have been killer to watch.

Reactions: Elf
I admit I can’t always pick up on sarcasm; so not sure if you were responding to me negatively.

However, ther ARE tons of videos where people with incredible gear sound terrible, and people with mediocre gear sound great.

So technically, all our bases are covered!
Not to you at all, but in general people will always complain about either "that guy" is too good for doing demos as he will always get great tones or that other guy has too much great gear and can't make thing sound amazing and so on.....

Which begs the question… why do we argue over what gear sounds the best when we can “make anything sound good” like Pete if we work on our technique and get really good? Seems the shortest and cheaper way to good tone is practice. Funny how the playing technique sections of forums are one of the most neglected. Not pointing any fingers really just making an observation of activities that I'm totally guilty of myself.
Practice is for those who can't get it right the first time.
Nervous Tea Time GIF by VH1

Absolutely no mention of the trouble he had while using the software as witnessed on TGP? I smell a shill.

as you said "Some" this is not true of everyone some like me practice a lot (as much as time permits) but still like nice gear
so it varies by individual really
Except he didn’t say that one can’t like killer gear. And you just said …”as much as time permits”
I have a feeling there’s way more YouTube and Forum use than woodshed with many.

Pete does make everything sound good but I enjoy his demos. They may not show what a piece of gear will do in my hands but it's nice to hear what it's capable of.

Except he didn’t say that one can’t like killer gear. And you just said …”as much as time permits”
I have a feeling there’s way more YouTube and Forum use than woodshed with many.

Well this is my Regime and this is what my time permits, I do have to work and there are house chores & errands as well
and its every day, weekends may vary sometimes more sometimes less

Stones Daily Practice Regime

AM: ~2.5hrs

1) Hand Stretching exercise = ~5-8 Minutes
2) Fingerboard exercise, spider walk, scale runs with metronome = ~25 Minutes
3) Chord progressions and changes / timing = ~15 Minutes
4) Current song/goal practice, learn parts From lesson, varies 25-40 Minutes
5) Play along with part on repeat normal or slowed down with you tube once parts all learnt put it all together = ~60 – 75 Minutes

PM: ~30 Minutes

1) Hand stretching exercise = ~5-8 Minutes
2) Play along with part on repeat normal or slowed down with you tube ~ 20-25 Minutes

3) Tweak tones With Helix/ Now Fractal ~ 20-30 Minutes
4) Watch videos & read on dialing tone and understanding effect, chains, routing and other Helix/Fractal Modeling related content = 1-2 Hours

After Work my brain is fried so I don’t get in much time PM
I don’t really watch TV

Last edited:
Back