Pete Thorn ToneX video!!!

Well this is my Regime and this is what my time permits, I do have to work and there are house chores & errands as well
and its every day, weekends may vary sometimes more sometimes less

Stones Daily Practice Regime

AM: ~2.5hrs

1) Hand Stretching exercise = ~5-8 Minutes
2) Fingerboard exercise, spider walk, scale runs with metronome = ~25 Minutes
3) Chord progressions and changes / timing = ~15 Minutes
4) Current song/goal practice, learn parts From lesson, varies 25-40 Minutes
5) Play along with part on repeat normal or slowed down with you tube once parts all learnt put it all together = ~60 – 75 Minutes

PM: ~30 Minutes

1) Hand stretching exercise = ~5-8 Minutes
2) Play along with part on repeat normal or slowed down with you tube ~ 20-25 Minutes

3) Tweak tones With Helix/ Now Fractal ~ 20-30 Minutes
4) Watch videos & read on dialing tone and understanding effect, chains, routing and other Helix/Fractal Modeling related content = 1-2 Hours

After Work my brain is fried so I don’t get in much time PM
I don’t really watch TV
Damn son!

I don't outline it like that, but I do focus on one area and stay with it for about an hour.

Like yesterday I worked on syncopation picking on low strings, which still trips me up, but sounds fantastic when it's tight, with the accents where you want them.

And something I've added which I think helps everything, is practicing acoustically for the first 30-45 minutes. I can tell, because when playing this way my dynamics aren't even, yet when amped up, I don't notice. =Needs work.

To be fair to Pete, he did say his only gripe is the UI -- that it is initially confusing.
But he didn’t even mention one of the most frustrating issues many Mac users, including himself, have run across, which is the poorly implemented use of contextual menus.

It’s obvious that those who’ve been paid for their demonstrations have little to critique.

Shills.

But he didn’t even mention one of the most frustrating issues many Mac users, including himself, have run across, which is the poorly implemented use of contextual menus.

It’s obvious that those who’ve been paid for their demonstrations have little to critique.

Shills.
Shill? Nah. I'm sure he negotiated a fair price to do the vid, seeing it took much longer to make. I genuinely think he likes the results, and he made his gripes fairly clear, but did it in a professional way. Being smart doesn't necessarily make you a shill.

Fair enough.

How about being paid for a demo that puts something in its best light?
I see Pete as a 'half-full glass' kinda guy. If he has more gripes than positive feedback he wouldn't make the video. He's even said that before and been transparent about his demo process. That's being smart and staying in business. He also can't help that he's damn good at what he does and makes it appear easy.

Realistically how much gear is that ever going to apply to?
Enough to where he's made a point to mention it before. And he's getting his hands on more gear than most.
Bottom line is, he showed what was possible with the unit and software through his vid. He made music and gave some insight into the product. That's fair.

Enough to where he's made a point to mention it before. And he's getting his hands on more gear than most.
That’s a self referential credibility qualifier from Pete. Doesn’t really mean anything.

However I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with doing paid demos, and I wouldn’t expect someone to point out many deficiencies in a product being demonstrated given the nature of the business relationship in that field.

I’m just wondering what’s a distinguishing element that wouldn’t make it a form of shilling?

Last edited:
I’m just wondering what’s a distinguishing element that wouldn’t make it a form of shilling?
Let's look at the definition of shill:

shill | SHil | North American informal
noun
an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others: I used to be a shill in a Reno gambling club | figurative : the agency is a shill for the nuclear power industry.
• a person who pretends to give an impartial endorsement of something in which they themselves have an interest: a megamillionaire who makes more money as a shill for corporate products than he does for playing basketball.
verb [no object]
act or work as a shill: your husband in the crowd could shill for you.
ORIGIN
early 20th century: probably from earlier shillaber, of unknown origin.
It has a negative connotation, like someone is purposefully misrepresenting themselves. I don't see that with Pete.
If you were to say (prove) Pete cares more deeply about pushing gear than making music, then maybe I would agree with you.

Last edited:
As a victim of one of his many Twitter brow beatings for making the mistake of trying to engage in respectful dialog, I just can’t get into anything he does anymore.
He sure plays good and makes everything sound great. I just don’t like him much as a person and think his communication skills are incredibly lacking.

Back