OMG..Don’t Cry ..Slash joined the Magnatone’s.

I never understood how GnR gets so much credit for being a 1.5 album wonder. Appetite? Classic. Sure. Use Your Illusion? Maybe a single album’s worth across two that was worth a damn, and that’s being generous. The rest? Uh……

I don’t really give a shit what amp Slash chooses to get his abysmal tone through.

Almost forgot: Ozzy's Boneyard and Hair Nation need to chill on the constant Motley Crue and Guns n Roses.

That’s actually how I heard some of the first Kiss album songs. “Oh this is actually some half decent blues rock”.

The first Kiss album came out spring of 1974. My album collection at the time included Sabbath, Purple, Zeppelin, Beck, Santana, Mountain, The Who, Grand Funk, Montrose, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Genesis, David Bowie, Yes, King Crimson, and Jethro Tull. And shortly after Kiss came out so did Bridge of Sighs by Robin Trower and Ted Nugent's first album.

No offense to anyone, and if I'd been born 5-6 years later it would have been different, but musically speaking Kiss was a pretty big joke from day 1 in our crowd. The image was AMAZING but the songs were bubble gum pop BS by comparison to Zeppelin, Purple, etc.

Yeah that’s probably why I didn’t get into them. Again, born in 83 and great up on 80s hard rock, 90s alternative, and 70s classic rock but coming from the Zep/Sabbath/Floyd side of things. KISS albums kind of sounded like mid tempo pop rock.

IMO, Appetite For Destruction > All other Guns N’ Roses albums.

I don’t think you’re going out on a limb there.

Really? Is it just the over-playedness?

Strutter, Cold Gin, Deuce... some of their best material, to me.

We've always had fun playing Cold Gin and talked about playing Deuce, too (drummer is a huge KISS fan and I've grown to appreciate them over the years).

I think the early years of KISS was a super cool era. The image, songs, and overall vibe was extremely creative and cool, in retrospect (and maybe having to ignore everything later on, just taken on its own).
Love Aces playing on the first 3 records, as well as ALIVE! However, KISS has run those songs into the fucking ground by this point. I prefer Hotter Than Hell, their "Sabbath" record (if Sabbath wrote an album from their dicks instead of bad acid trips) to the first record.

Yup. It can be personal preference to not like KISS, but to throw them under the bus
and think that skewed view is somehow going to undo their impact and influence is
just the kind of nonsense one would expect from outspoken sources on a Gear Forum. :facepalm

One could easily argue that they had more impact on future rockers and musicians than
all of the NWOBHM bands combined. And I love NWOBHM.

They also had a big impact business-wise.... pushing the envelope of Merch far beyond
what it had been prior. Their impact is undeniable, and it wasn't because they had bad songs
and were shit players either.
If this was directed at me, then the first paragraph is funny. That said, I'm not sure who you are directing it at.

I had that 45! Same goes for I Was Made For Lovin' You. :rofl
Beth and IWMFLY are not my thing. I couldn't care less for Destroyer (starts strong, then the remaining 20 minutes are blah). The production and lead track gave that album a horrible rap that ruined their career. Paul had zero clue what fans wanted, whereas Gene did due to doing fanzines and stuff. However, Gene was "too big for his britches," dating stars and lost sight of things. The best track on Dynasty is Hard Times, which I love playing.

Beth and IWMFLY are not my thing. I couldn't care less for Destroyer (starts strong, then the remaining 20 minutes are blah). The production and lead track gave that album a horrible rap that ruined their career. Paul had zero clue what fans wanted, whereas Gene did due to doing fanzines and stuff. However, Gene was "too big for his britches," dating stars and lost sight of things. The best track on Dynasty is Hard Times, which I love playing.
My older brother had all of their records, me -- just a casual fan (i was 5 lol). I was enamored by their image mostly but I did like Beth and IWMFLY at that time.

My older brother had all of their records, me -- just a casual fan (i was 5 lol). I was enamored by their image mostly but I did like Beth and IWMFLY at that time.
Older fans (from the 70s) would blame you for ruining KISS. Shows went from young teens to 5 year olds dragging mom along to see the musical equivalent of a carnival. Personally, I just wish they had kept more blues rock influences.

I learned Beth on piano as a little kid and really enjoyed playing it. Ah, such a sensitive soul I was… :grin

Easy to make fun of, but it's a very well-written ballad, perfect song and sound for its time, and was a huge hit for them. (Though I've read it alienated their rock fans and caused dissension/resentment within the band.)

I learned Beth on piano as a little kid and really enjoyed playing it. Ah, such a sensitive soul I was… :grin

Easy to make fun of, but it's a very well-written ballad, perfect song and sound for its time, and was a huge hit for them. (Though I've read it alienated their rock fans and caused dissension/resentment within the band.)
I think it was their only "hit"? It's a good song, definitely out of character for them though.

@Spaced Out Ace
😂😂😂
IMG_0784.jpeg

Back