OMG..Don’t Cry ..Slash joined the Magnatone’s.

Two things come to mind.
1. Slash follows the money.
2. Magnatone are not going to sell more amps, they are not part of rock history, it's not the 60's-90s' anymore, and Slash is old news.

who cares family guy GIF

Yup. Billy Gibbons didn't move the needle for Magnatone either. :idk

Last edited:
Really? Is it just the over-playedness?

Strutter, Cold Gin, Deuce... some of their best material, to me.

We've always had fun playing Cold Gin and talked about playing Deuce, too (drummer is a huge KISS fan and I've grown to appreciate them over the years).

I think the early years of KISS was a super cool era. The image, songs, and overall vibe was extremely creative and cool, in retrospect (and maybe having to ignore everything later on, just taken on its own).

Yup. It can be personal preference to not like KISS, but to throw them under the bus
and think that skewed view is somehow going to undo their impact and influence is
just the kind of nonsense one would expect from outspoken sources on a Gear Forum. :facepalm

One could easily argue that they had more impact on future rockers and musicians than
all of the NWOBHM bands combined. And I love NWOBHM.

They also had a big impact business-wise.... pushing the envelope of Merch far beyond
what it had been prior. Their impact is undeniable, and it wasn't because they had bad songs
and were shit players either.

The first Kiss album came out spring of 1974. My album collection at the time included Sabbath, Purple, Zeppelin, Beck, Santana, Mountain, The Who, Grand Funk, Montrose, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Genesis, David Bowie, Yes, King Crimson, and Jethro Tull. And shortly after Kiss came out so did Bridge of Sighs by Robin Trower and Ted Nugent's first album.

No offense to anyone, and if I'd been born 5-6 years later it would have been different, but musically speaking Kiss was a pretty big joke from day 1 in our crowd. The image was AMAZING but the songs were bubble gum pop BS by comparison to Zeppelin, Purple, etc.

Last edited:
This pic here is my favorite thing about late Guns'n'Roses and it pretty much sums up my feelings towards GnR today.
That said, Slash single-handedly made Les Pauls cool again.
If it weren't for him, Gibson would have had a very different trajectory.
I don't think he will make Magnatone hugely popular, but Slash really changed the guitar market, back in the day.

Axl.jpg

The first Kiss album came out spring of 1974. My album collection at the time included Sabbath, Purple, Zeppelin, Beck, Santana, Mountain, The Who, Grand Funk, Montrose, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Genesis, David Bowie, Yes, King Crimson, and Jethro Tull. And shortly after Kiss came out so did Bridge of Sighs by Robin Trower and Ted Nugent's first album.

No offense to anyone, and if I'd been born 5-6 years later it would have been different, but musically speaking Kiss was a pretty big joke from day 1 in our crowd. The image was AMAZING but the songs were bubble gum pop BS by comparison to Zeppelin, Purple, etc.
I was 5 in 74' so they were cool. I even had all the trading cards with that shitty gum. You could turn them over and make the Destroyer Album cover with them. That was around 76' when bicentennial was going on. I also dressed up with a couple of buds in the neighborhood as Kiss on Halloween one year. We thought they were the shit back then, but I was little. If I would have been older, I would have probably thought the same. The older kids, high schooler's, in the hood had all those albums and we listened to them too when we could.

I'm certainly not denying the influence of Kiss. I just don't like their music other than a few songs here and there. I would say it is over-played-ism with zero depth in their songs. Nothing is below the top layer and then when you have heard them on repeat for 40+ years; it's a snoozefest.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yup. It can be personal preference to not like KISS, but to throw them under the bus
and think that skewed view is somehow going to undo their impact and influence is
just the kind of nonsense one would expect from outspoken sources on a Gear Forum. :facepalm

One could easily argue that they had more impact on future rockers and musicians than
all of the NWOBHM bands combined. And I love NWOBHM.

They also had a big impact business-wise.... pushing the envelope of Merch far beyond
what it had been prior. Their impact is undeniable, and it wasn't because they had bad songs
and were shit players either.

Always thought this said it well, from Chuck Klosterman’s excellent KISS guide (referring to the first record):

“If Kiss had somehow died in a boating mishap the week this record hit stores, the very same people who currently hate them would insist this 35-minute document is a forgotten progenitor of punk, on par with the Stooges. Kiss would be remembered as a catchier, savvier version of the New York Dolls, and only Morrissey would disagree.”

I'm certainly not denying the influence of Kiss. I just don't like their music other than a few songs here and there. I would say it is over-played-ism with zero depth in their songs. Nothing is below the top layer and then when you have heard them on repeat for 40+ years; it's a snoozefest.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So I guess you're not into rock n rollin' all night and partying everyday? :hmm

Back