Ok, now I understand LP weight complaints

IMG_1884.jpeg

7.5lb solid Honduran Mahogany.

Weight is a thing. An annoying thing.

I've got a Gretsch Electromatic, it's nothing incredible on paper really but I absolutely love it, it's got a really special sound & is inspiring to play. It weighs about 11lbs. Some days I just don't notice the weight, others I'll get an hour into practice and want to take it off for a bit. I actually kept an eye out, eventually found an identical one that was iirc 8.4lbs. @Snags owns it now, it was great but not the same, I think the 11lbs is just part of what makes the heavy one special to me.

We're an originals band so the longest set we've done is 45 minutes, gigging is no problem.

My 2007 Gibson Explorer weights 7 1/2 lbs, I can wear that forever. Incredibly comfortable guitar.

Weight is a thing.

It definitely is.

Years ago I took my 15 year old sons to a Guitar Center just to look around and one son saw a Gibson SG doubleneck hanging on the wall. He said "Dad I want that one, can you get it for me?"

Not wanting to disappoint him but also not wanting to drop thousands on a whim I said to him. "Ok, strap it on and if you can wear it for 15 minutes I'll buy if for you."

So I strapped it on him and after about 8 minutes or so he said "Take it off!!!"

After I took it off him he hung his head and said "I see what you mean."

i ended up buying him a Les Paul Studio Plus which he loves. We still go to guitar stores like the pic at Rudy's below but he now understands that weight is definitely a thing.

24775302097_77a3b0499c_c.jpg

It definitely is.

Years ago I took my 15 year old sons to a Guitar Center just to look around and one son saw a Gibson SG doubleneck hanging on the wall. He said "Dad I want that one, can you get it for me?"

Not wanting to disappoint him but also not wanting to drop thousands on a whim I said to him. "Ok, strap it on and if you can wear it for 15 minutes I'll buy if for you."

So I strapped it on him and after about 8 minutes or so he said "Take it off!!!"

After I took it off him he hung his head and said "I see what you mean."

i ended up buying him a Les Paul Studio Plus which he loves. We still go to guitar stores like the pic at Rudy's below but he now understands that weight is definitely a thing.

24775302097_77a3b0499c_c.jpg

That was a good lesson.

When I was less than five years old my father was occasionally smoking (he did quit a bit later). One day he handed a cigarette to me. I inhaled, and the experience was so disgusting that it never occurred to me to ever try to smoke in my life. Life lessons: tobacco and heavy guitars are not good for you health :geek:

That was a good lesson.

When I was less than five years old my father was occasionally smoking (he did quit a bit later). One day he handed a cigarette to me. I inhaled, and the experience was so disgusting that it never occurred to me to ever try to smoke in my life. Life lessons: tobacco and heavy guitars are not good for you health :geek:

Or you can live a little; pick up a heavy LP, a good woman, rock out and then have a decent smoke afterwards . :clint

episode 14 smoking GIF

Back