Ok, now I understand LP weight complaints

Let’s get Drew an inversion table …

upside down squat GIF

upside down spinning GIF

I’m 48 with 2 previous back surgeries (discectomy), and to this day still refuse to buy a weight relieved LP.

All of mine have been/currently are 9.5+ lbs.

I do not say this to be braggadocios, I just prefer heavy guitars, even for gigging. Like I’m building a custom strat right now that’ll likely net out to over 8lbs which is heavy for a strat.

I’m 48 with 2 previous back surgeries (discectomy), and to this day still refuse to buy a weight relieved LP.

All of mine have been/currently are 9.5+ lbs.

I do not say this to be braggadocios, I just prefer heavy guitars, even for gigging. Like I’m building a custom strat right now that’ll likely net out to over 8lbs which is heavy for a strat.

Yeah, I’ve got zero intention to change anything out. That was just the first time I ever had one over my shoulder while standing for longer than a half hour, never owning an LP before a few months ago. Hell, I spent last night considering bringing 2 LP’s and no Strat at all, but I need single coils for a lot of our stuff.

This is no joke. As a lifelong low back pain sufferer, marrying a yoga instructor changed my whole pain situation. For those of you feeling the back pain, seriously give this a shot…it’s called pigeon pose in yoga speak. Try it once or twice a day for a week, and maybe before you hit the stage.
Yup, been doing this the last few weeks, before I hit the stage. I might look like an idiot, but it has helped. Even just doing it for a minute or two. Before that, my right side lower back, before the 3rd set just has this annoying ache to it.
A buddy of mine got me a "zero gravity" strap from Cable Free Guitar. Considering using it and playing my LP for the first set tonight. :idk
Same, I just got mine today, looking forward to gigging it.

Had sciatica 3 yrs ago. Couldn't even pick up a ukelele let alone a Les Paul.
All good now, but a good wide padded strap helps. 👍

Right around the 2.5 hour mark last night I started feeling the burn and all the years of laughing at people complaining about 9.5lb guitars came rushing to my head.

Definitely not enough of an issue to make me NOT want to play it, I’ll GLADLY deal with the weight because it sounds so damn good, but damn….I wasn’t expecting that!
Oh yeah somewhere around the 2 hr mark and you'll start to feel it for sure. Shoulder first, then in the lower back depending on how much longer you go.

Wide bass strap helps a little.

my plan is to buy log heavy LP (ESP/LTD Eclipse) , if I suffer I don't care if it sounds good. I like it when you have to fight guitars i feel like im making effort :grin

I like it when you have to fight guitars i feel like im making effort :grin
This reminds me of a Billy Gibbons story:

“I was about 22 and just starting out with ZZ Top,” he says. “I was in the dressing room and BB King said to me, ‘Can I play your guitar?’ I said, ‘Sure man.’ He strummed it a few times and handed it back to me. He looked at me rather quizzically and said, ‘Why you working so hard?’ I said, ‘What do you mean?’ He said, ‘Those strings. You got real heavy, heavy strings.’ I said, ‘Well, isn’t that how to get the heavy, heavy sound?’ He said, ‘No! Don’t be working so hard!’

This reminds me of a Billy Gibbons story:

“I was about 22 and just starting out with ZZ Top,” he says. “I was in the dressing room and BB King said to me, ‘Can I play your guitar?’ I said, ‘Sure man.’ He strummed it a few times and handed it back to me. He looked at me rather quizzically and said, ‘Why you working so hard?’ I said, ‘What do you mean?’ He said, ‘Those strings. You got real heavy, heavy strings.’ I said, ‘Well, isn’t that how to get the heavy, heavy sound?’ He said, ‘No! Don’t be working so hard!’
i dont mean to have war with guitar but little effort is good, at least for me , im crazy i know :brick

:rofl

One of the reasons I don’t own a Les Paul. It would have to have some substantial weight relief.
Unfortunately the weight relief affects the tone and classic LP tone is solid. Most vintage Les Pauls that I have played are below 9lbs ( up to 1960).)The heaviest I have ever seen was a 72 custom that clocked in at just under 15lbs and sounded like concrete.

I’m definitely going to grab some wider straps for the LP’s. I’ve been digging those Planet Waves straps with the quick locks, but a little more dispersion across the shoulder would be appreciated. I can understand why Zakk Wylde has half a cow over his shoulder.

I’m definitely going to grab some wider straps for the LP’s. I’ve been digging those Planet Waves straps with the quick locks, but a little more dispersion across the shoulder would be appreciated. I can understand why Zakk Wylde has half a cow over his shoulder.
check well hung shop, he make very good straps, they are bit pricy tho.

I grabbed a Clip Aircell for my 11ty million pound bass. Makes a huge difference in shoulder strain by the end of practice.

guitar-strap-1_1600x.jpg

You can get em on Amazon for like $45.

Man I have one LP left, just one. It has sentimental value and I’ll never get rid of it but I can’t play it onstage for more than half an hour. It weighs almost 12 lbs and I’m just the young side of 50.

Since switched to my ESP Viper and a Caparison or three for that mahog body/maple top tone.

Just can’t do it anymore….

Back