Ok, now I understand LP weight complaints

I’m pretty good about stretching in the morning before I start the day as a result of throwing my back out putting on socks one too many times. Gonna have to start yoga classes for LP weight relief. :rofl
Stomach vacuum. The exercise.

Bodyweight squats.

Last edited:
I like using a Les Paul for a few tunes and then switching to something else. If you're not playing it all night weight isn't as much of a problem.

I’m pretty good about stretching in the morning before I start the day as a result of throwing my back out putting on socks one too many times. Gonna have to start yoga classes for LP weight relief. :rofl

I do Yoga every morning. I have to. It's only about 5 to 10 minutes depending on what is going on that day.

But I am with Fret, stretching them hammies, glutes, and hip flexors is really helpful with lower back pain and tightness. :beer

Yoga Self Care GIF by Alice Socal

Sun Salute something or other. 5 to 10 full series of those connected movements with synchronized,
rhythmic breathing. In through the nose out through the mouth. :LOL:

I bounce back and forth between telecasters and LPs, and the weight thing is real. I say that as a 6’3 guy who is in the gym 4-5 times a week and chokes out other strong men for fun. I can ABSOLUTELY feel when I play a full set with a LP versus a tele.

Stretch your hamstrings … lower back?

Or higher?

Learn to touch/hold your toes regularly; long stretches … It will relieve the pull on your lower back significantly
This guy stretches. :rofl

Initially I wasn’t sure if you were being sarcastic but now I see you were being at least partially serious and IM HERE FOR IT.

This is no joke. As a lifelong low back pain sufferer, marrying a yoga instructor changed my whole pain situation. For those of you feeling the back pain, seriously give this a shot…it’s called pigeon pose in yoga speak. Try it once or twice a day for a week, and maybe before you hit the stage.

I know. I know. You think it’s for sissies and housewives. Just ignore all the example images with pretty women, swap in a hungover guy with a beer belly and an AC/DC shirt. It’ll help.

I’ve seen my wife train pro football players who broke into tears in the middle of a yoga routine. This stuff gets HARD.

I bounce back and forth between telecasters and LPs, and the weight thing is real. I say that as a 6’3 guy who is in the gym 4-5 times a week and chokes out other strong men for fun. I can ABSOLUTELY feel when I play a full set with a LP versus a tele.

Initially I wasn’t sure if you were being sarcastic but now I see you were being at least partially serious and IM HERE FOR IT.

This is no joke. As a lifelong low back pain sufferer, marrying a yoga instructor changed my whole pain situation. For those of you feeling the back pain, seriously give this a shot…it’s called pigeon pose in yoga speak. Try it once or twice a day for a week, and maybe before you hit the stage.

I know. I know. You think it’s for sissies and housewives. Just ignore all the example images with pretty women, swap in a hungover guy with a beer belly and an AC/DC shirt. It’ll help.

I’ve seen my wife train pro football players who broke into tears in the middle of a yoga routine. This stuff gets HARD.

Yup. (6’2” and broken back much earlier in life; a long fall. Had the surgery a few yrs ago after a 40 year wait.)

Yup. (6’2” and broken back much earlier in life; a long fall. Had the surgery a few yrs ago after a 40 year wait.)
Jeez. Everything’s ok with it now?

I once took a 2 story ladder ride into the ground as a teenager building houses…someone thought it would be a fun prank to place plywood below a ladder under the dirt. Predictably the ladder kicked out as I got hear the top. No breaks but it rattled me bad. Can’t imagine a back break.

Jeez. Everything’s ok with it now?

I once took a 2 story ladder ride into the ground as a teenager building houses…someone thought it would be a fun prank to place plywood below a ladder under the dirt. Predictably the ladder kicked out as I got hear the top. No breaks but it rattled me bad. Can’t imagine a back break.

Is what it is …L4 burst fracture and now sciatic nerve gets grabbed a lot with all the new activity prepping for the Camino … (but it’s a pain I can cope with because I know it won’t kill me, even though it wants to drop me on the floor occasionally.)

I waited until lower back surgery was as good as it can get… Neural tube in your back is supposed to have 21 mm of clearance and I was down to 7mm, so I had to let them go in and rotor rooter that shit out.

I used to be super flexible; working on getting back there.

I don’t mind getting all beat up in life too much… I enjoy playing the game.

Last edited:
Same, one herniated disc and a few other torqued around the fractured vertabrae will teach you how important stretching is, or you stay semi-locked up from age 20 on. I've been able to deal with the sciatica from stretching, but probably within about a decade of needing what you had done.

I don't do cliff's/rock climbing these days. I'll hike quite a bit, but climbing trying to get beyond certain phobias and cliffs was a bad combo for me - from a time where I had no choice regarding when or where I was going to have to climb. A flak jacket and helmet saved most of the rest of my spine and skull on those two occasions.

Same, one herniated disc and a few other torqued around the fractured vertabrae will teach you how important stretching is, or you stay semi-locked up from age 20 on. I've been able to deal with the sciatica from stretching, but probably within about a decade of needing what you had done.

I don't do cliff's/rock climbing these days. I'll hike quite a bit, but climbing trying to get beyond certain phobias and cliffs was a bad combo for me - from a time where I had no choice regarding when or where I was going to have to climb. A flak jacket and helmet saved most of the rest of my spine and skull on those two occasions.

Exactly- fugging rock climbing… I lived in Colorado for a long time.

I never could climb with quite the same confidence afterwards… Sewing machine legs, and all that shit. I tried to overcome it for quite a while… But was happier on a bike.

I remember getting stuck with a big badda 2000’ drop on Long’s Peak and we had to make a move on an overhang… Took me about 40 minutes (on an 8 hr scramble.) Ugh!

Thanks for your service Maverick

Last edited:

Anyone who thinks yoga is for sissies hasn’t been to a single session. I’ve been to a few and was really getting into it for a while, a 90 minute session would have me ready to collapse harder than working on a South Florida roof for 8 straight hours. Never mind a hot yoga session.

I need to get back into it. I got pretty sick this week, the kind of sick that had me putting my current health choices (lack of) into serious question and I’m at that spot where it’ll take very little to get me back into really good shape, but if I keep going the way I’ve been going it’ll take that much more effort to get back into shape. I‘m 5’10” and about 180lbs, I’m not hugely overweight or anything, it’s just putting in that extra effort that’ll keep me going without avoidable health issues popping up.

Exactly- fugging rock climbing… I lived in Colorado for a long time.

I never could climb with quite the same confidence afterwards… Sewing machine legs, and all that s**t. I tried to overcome it for quite a while… But was happier on a bike.

I remember getting stuck with a big badda 2000’ drop on Long’s Peak and we had to make a move on an overhang… Took me about 40 minutes. Ugh!

Thanks for your service Maverick
I almost got stuck on Long's Peak, even on the lower area before getting into the very techical climbing area. I knew enough to just stop and head back down.

Didn't want to be like a buddy back in the mid 80's climbing boulders around Pasadena area, had to call in a SAR team to pull him off the overhang - it got in his head and he just locked up.

I came close to that once in Alaska out in the Aleutians on a free climb, but was able to deep breathe and relax for about 10 mins and clear my head enough to ease back out.

I almost got stuck on Long's Peak, even on the lower area before getting into the very techical climbing area. I knew enough to just stop and head back down.

Didn't want to be like a buddy back in the mid 80's climbing boulders around Pasadena area, had to call in a SAR team to pull him off the overhang - it got in his head and he just locked up.

I came close to that once in Alaska out in the Aleutians on a free climb, but was able to deep breathe and relax for about 10 mins and clear my head enough to ease back out.

Having your mortality on the line with your decisions and ability is a small test. 👍

A buddy of mine got me a "zero gravity" strap from Cable Free Guitar. Considering using it and playing my LP for the first set tonight. :idk

Back