OD pedal redundancy. What do I still "need"?

I keep thinking about getting one of these. I don't have a TS and I like the clips I've heard of this one.

But I'm trying to stay away from discrete pedals with the goal of only using the FM9. Still, it haunts me.
The struggle is real!

I keep thinking about getting one of these. I don't have a TS and I like the clips I've heard of this one.

But I'm trying to stay away from discrete pedals with the goal of only using the FM9. Still, it haunts me.

I really wish Fractal would do it as a drive block.
I have no external Pedals, nor any desire or use, I Use what I have in the Helix :idk

The struggle is real!

alice-rabbithole.gif

I have no external Pedals, nor any desire or use, I Use what I have in the Helix :idk

I hear you.

I sold off my pedals that I wasn't really in love with and kept the ones that were my favorites. Took the batteries out of them and haven't used them in over two years since I got the FC-12 for my Axe III.

Now that I'm using the FM9 using pedals just for the special thing that they do so well seems like more hassle than it's worth. I still keep them though because each of them is really good at what they do.

My Megalith Delta is selling for twice what I paid for it now.

origin.jpg

I hear you.

I sold off my pedals that I wasn't really in love with and kept the ones that were my favorites. Took the batteries out of them and haven't used them in over two years since I got the FC-12 for my Axe III.

Now that I'm using the FM9 using pedals just for the special thing that they do so well seems like more hassle than it's worth. I still keep them though because each of them is really good at what they do.

My Megalith Delta is selling for twice what I paid for it now.

origin.jpg
Oh MI Audio I ordered an amp from them a few years ago and it was the worst customer service experience. It sounded killer tho

I'd highly recommend all three of my gain pedals. I've been using them for years, two of them over a decade, and they cover all the bases for me.

(....)
BB Preamp (crunch)

Xotic%20BB%20Preamp-2.jpg
The BB Preamp has a special place in my heart. It has a great crunch sound like you said, but one of the best heavy sounds I've ever recorded was this pedal pushing a triple rectifier. Such a great and versatile pedal.

D-style pedals have been mentioned already. Couldn't live without one, very flexible and "elegant" (lacking of better words). In my case it's a J.Rockett "Dude", no voicing control like the Zendrive but independent bass and treble controls with great characteristics, so you can use a wide range.

What I've used so far in my Helix for the past 2 years

Deranged Master
Minotaur
Dhyana Drive
Valve Driver
Stuper OD
Pillars
Ratatouille Dist.

No need to use any other has come up

For me if I were building a board and wanted only two or three drives… I’d use my J Rocket Archer Silver, mini MXR Timmy, and the Chupacabra from Mythos (fuzzish distortion in the vein of a ZZ Top). Those sound great on my Shiva’s clean and edge of breakup tones. Then turn on the boost on the Shiva and use one of those on top and I can have all the gain I want. Sounds great and that would cover a lot of ground.

Last edited:
At this point; whatever ends up on the board is going to fall into clean/light boost, fat boost and sizzle boost. The Grid Slammer and Caline can do the clean/light and the OCD clone will do the sizzle. (GS and Caline could do that cranked as well not what I want them for). The trick is deciding on that fat boost in the center. The Sugar Drive is awesome. As micro-complaint as this is; I don't necessarily like the way mini pedals sit on velcro. They kind of juggle back and forth because they are so narrow. I am going to swap out the maverick wah for the Tremonti and put the GS and Dynaplex on the board for Friday's gig and go from there. I think :unsure:

At this point; whatever ends up on the board is going to fall into clean/light boost, fat boost and sizzle boost. The Grid Slammer and Caline can do the clean/light and the OCD clone will do the sizzle. (GS and Caline could do that cranked as well not what I want them for). The trick is deciding on that fat boost in the center. The Sugar Drive is awesome. As micro-complaint as this is; I don't necessarily like the way mini pedals sit on velcro. They kind of juggle back and forth because they are so narrow. I am going to swap out the maverick wah for the Tremonti and put the GS and Dynaplex on the board for Friday's gig and go from there. I think :unsure:
Mini pedals IME do better with dual lock Velcro than regular Velcro.

Last edited:
As micro-complaint as this is; I don't necessarily like the way mini pedals sit on velcro. They kind of juggle back and forth because they are so narrow.

Uhm. You're living in some sort of velcro 3rd world country?
Seriously, while you can wiggle them around much easier than a full- or medium-sized pedal, I never had any issues when operating them as intended (stepping onto the switch, that is...). If anything, what bothers me most with them is that there's still no standard for the PSU connector (and sometimes not even the I/O jack locations). And if I was ruling the world, no single pedal would be allowed to use right/left I/O jacks, they'd all sit on the top. That way, the pedal could be a bit wider without sacrificing pedalboard space (thing along the lines of TC, J. Rockett and what not, perfect form factor).

Uhm. You're living in some sort of velcro 3rd world country?
Seriously, while you can wiggle them around much easier than a full- or medium-sized pedal, I never had any issues when operating them as intended (stepping onto the switch, that is...). If anything, what bothers me most with them is that there's still no standard for the PSU connector (and sometimes not even the I/O jack locations). And if I was ruling the world, no single pedal would be allowed to use right/left I/O jacks, they'd all sit on the top. That way, the pedal could be a bit wider without sacrificing pedalboard space (thing along the lines of TC, J. Rockett and what not, perfect form factor).
There is a LOT of jostle happening when I hit the switch. Like a using ice skates sort of vibe. Just using the velcro roll I have on hand? It's stuck down secure but the pedal is so tiny that it has a lot of back and forth play.

but the pedal is so tiny that it has a lot of back and forth play.

Hm, sideways I'd understand (and I could as well understand if that annoyed someone), but back and forth never really bothered me - or rather, I don't see this happening any more than with a standard pedal. Just to make things clear: We're talking about Mooer-alike pedals, right? With those pedals even smaller (some Hotones and the Joyo Ironman series for example), yeah, there's a lot more wiggling in all directions happening.

Hm, sideways I'd understand (and I could as well understand if that annoyed someone), but back and forth never really bothered me - or rather, I don't see this happening any more than with a standard pedal. Just to make things clear: We're talking about Mooer-alike pedals, right? With those pedals even smaller (some Hotones and the Joyo Ironman series for example), yeah, there's a lot more wiggling in all directions happening.
Yeah lean to the left and right. It's secure; but I feel like a ziptie (or 4) would be a better solution :rofl
SugarDrive-large.jpg.auto.webp

It's this guy. FANTASTIC drive pedal :chef There's the Fat Sugar which is the full size but I have a problem buying the same thing. In this singular instance, of course :oops::rofl

Yeah lean to the left and right. It's secure; but I feel like a ziptie (or 4) would be a better solution :rofl
SugarDrive-large.jpg.auto.webp

It's this guy. FANTASTIC drive pedal :chef There's the Fat Sugar which is the full size but I have a problem buying the same thing. In this singular instance, of course :oops::rofl
MXR is making some great mini pedals. Jeorge Tripps knows his stuff.

You can find it on Amazon. I prefer the whitish clear type it’s a bit more stronger but the black color version holds well too.

It’s a stronger more firm hold. A little goes a long way. I just put one square at the top and bottom of a mini and it holds tight and doesn’t do the little whole of traditional velcro. I won’t ever use regular Velcro again.

Ah, thanks - I've seen that already, just didn't know it was called dual velcro.
Can you exchange pedals easily? That's something often bothering me with standard velcro. Once the pedals are sitting nice and tight, exchanging them becomes annoying. Not a biggie as I only change 2-3 more regularly, still would like something easier to deal with.

-----

Fwiw, that MXR is proving my point. Why can't these folks just agree on a certain I/O standard? All Mooers and quite some others have their ins on the upper right, out on the lower left. But MXR is doing it vice versa, so is Tone City (absolutely brilliant pedals, btw). Mixing and matching them without wasting space becomes a nightmare that way.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks - I've seen that already, just didn't know it was called dual velcro.
Can you exchange pedals easily? That's something often bothering me with standard velcro. Once the pedals are sitting nice and tight, exchanging them becomes annoying. Not a biggie as I only change 2-3 more regularly, still would like something easier to deal with.

-----

Fwiw, that MXR is proving my point. Why can't these folks just agree on a certain I/O standard? All Mooers and some quite some others have their ins on the upper right, out on the lower left. But MXR is doing it vice versa, so is Tone City (absolutely brilliant pedals, btw). Mixing and matching them without wasting space becomes a nightmare that way.
Yeah changing them is easy but I use a plastic tool like in the link below at the corner of pedal to pry them off. Once you put enough pressure it just pops off. I even tested it when I first started using it by holding a not light board over a couch cushion encase it dropped by just holding two pedals. Held just fine and works well. Even even used it to mount pedal power supplies under the board with no issues.

BLAU GRUN 5PCS Auto Trim Removal Tool Kit, Car Interior Door Panel Clip Fastener Removal Set, No Scratch and No Marring Plastic Pry Tool Kit for Vehicle Dash Radio Audio Installer (Blue) https://a.co/d/f3kArWB

Back