OD pedal redundancy. What do I still "need"?

JT

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
Here's what I got:
MXR Sugar Drive (Klon-ish)
JRR OD 1.3 (OCD clone)
Caline Pure Sky (Timmy-ish?)
Mesa Grid Slammer (TS I think?)
Mesa Dynaplex (MIAB; not sure what it is actually based on?)

I am looking at a Waza Blues Driver still. How redundant is this list? I know I am missing a fuzz still. Might look at a Rat variant as those can cover some fuzziness as well as straight up distortion? These are split out on a couple boards right now. I like to stack but my mentality is more stacking on top of amp drive versus using them stacked on each other.

Here's what I got:
MXR Sugar Drive (Klon-ish)
JRR OD 1.3 (OCD clone)
Caline Pure Sky (Timmy-ish?)
Mesa Grid Slammer (TS I think?)
Mesa Dynaplex (MIAB; not sure what it is actually based on?)

I am looking at a Waza Blues Driver still. How redundant is this list? I know I am missing a fuzz still. Might look at a Rat variant as those can cover some fuzziness as well as straight up distortion? These are split out on a couple boards right now. I like to stack but my mentality is more stacking on top of amp drive versus using them stacked on each other.
I'm a huge fan of my SD1. I've read they are different than a TS but I'm not going to pretend I know why. They just have something going for them in front of a marshall.

Outside that looks great! For the fuzz id say a RAT or fuzz face (specifically the Jimi light blue model). Super responsive to your volume knob and you can go from crunch to fuzz.

A Rat is very intriguing to me.

How much crossover is there between the Sugar Drive, the Dynaplex and a Bluesbreaker variant? Is there any? I know blowtorch levels of gain but my abilities to recognize and appreciate nuance is a little limited :bag :rofl

How much crossover is there between the Sugar Drive, the Dynaplex and a Bluesbreaker variant? Is there any? I know blowtorch levels of gain but my abilities to recognize and appreciate nuance is a little limited :bag :rofl
I think the Bluesbreaker variant, at least how I use them, falls closest to the Timmy. I think it'd be worth bringing in and then once in hand you can decide (1) whether there's too much overlap with the Timmy or Dynaplex (I've never played any MIB pedal, so dunno how much it resembles Bluesbreaker...but would be surprised if they were that similar) and (2) if so, which one you should move on.

I think it would be fun to have the MXR Sugar Drive, Duke of Tone, and Timmy all on a tiny board. Just for visuals.

Honestly I think you're probably covered on the Bluesbreaker with the Timmy thing. I know they're different but for me the BB is more of a neutral drive pedal (not transparent) where the Klon/TS has some kind of mid push and EQ-ing.

I never got along with any kind of RAT so I don't know how useful it would be.

Fuzz would be the most different and interesting, but I don't know where to start for Fuzz. They seem so hit or miss.

Reactions: JT
I feel like we are in a similar boat. However I run this into my Axe Fx. I'm trying not to be too redundant as well and am happy where I'm at

Attachments

• PXL_20230122_194509969.jpg
    PXL_20230122_194509969.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 57
I've had a convo or 5 about fuzz on here but never seem to be able to pull that trigger. Mainly because it's such a NICHE tone that I wouldn't ever put on my live board. It might make the most sense to go down the Rat rabbit hole as it can pull double duty to a degree depending on how gained out you have it and where the filter knob is set.

Had the Bion. Wasn't ready for it at the time. What is the BAT? Fuzz or...? I have always heard good things.

Dude the Bion is sick with the range control, and the Pharaoh is a fuzz, yeah. Doom in a box if you want it but so much more too. One of the best fuzzes I’ve tried and I’ve had a lot.

• Love
Reactions: JT
If you are into RAT-style stuff, make sure to check out the TC Magus if you can. Has 3 modes (classic, fat and turbo), covering a lot of ground from rather classic distortion tones to almost fuzzy. Bonus: I/O on the top (there should be a law not allowing for anything else anymore).

I dont think you could go wrong with a blues driver, it definitely has its own thing going on outside of what you have listed/their equivalents

SD-1s are so cheap it can't hurt to own one, circuit is similar to TS with some minor circuit differences but I think still are different enough to justify (again, especially at the price point)

The correct answer is: all of them. You need all the overdrive pedals, JT! :rofl

In all seriousness, I would recommend checking out...
BD-2
SD-1
Rat
DOD OD Preamp 250
Morning Glory
Fuzz Face
Tone Bender
Big Muff
I feel like BD and Rat are a good start. Grab an SD-1 as well. Then drill down into deeper waters afterwards :love :chef :rofl

I also thought I needed all the od pedals in the world, amassing dozens of chinese knockoffs just to try them all.
Long story short, only a TU-3 remained on my amp, nothing beats amp distortion.

I also thought I needed all the od pedals in the world, amassing dozens of chinese knockoffs just to try them all.
Long story short, only a TU-3 remained on my amp, nothing beats amp distortion.
Agreed. But I love a good pedal/amp gain stack! I forgot I have the Silver Horsie thing you recommended. That pedal is actually really good, little bit of noisiness aside.

Back