NMD: Taking a spin with Tonex

Achilles

Rock Star
Fender Tone Master living room amp is going back cause it was a stupid idea.
Just cause she says it's cool to have one out there doesn't mean the thing's going to get played enough to justify it.
Between the defective Benson and Fender I'd put maybe 2 hours total on them in close to a month.

Tonex looks like it doesn't need a full time peripheral device connected for quick access to basic editing.
That's why the Amperium got moved. Hated having to have a tether - even with it being BT.

Coming from the AZ warehouse so should have it tomorrow.

preview.jpg

Shame about the Benson. I really wanted one of those. Not so sure about that now.

It's even crazier that it had problems because those Benson amps are such simple circuits with almost nothing in them, so you'd think that there'd be way less to go wrong in the first place!

Fender Tone Master living room amp is going back cause it was a stupid idea.
Just cause she says it's cool to have one out there doesn't mean the thing's going to get played enough to justify it.
Between the defective Benson and Fender I'd put maybe 2 hours total on them in close to a month.

Tonex looks like it doesn't need a full time peripheral device connected for quick access to basic editing.
That's why the Amperium got moved. Hated having to have a tether - even with it being BT.

Coming from the AZ warehouse so should have it tomorrow.

preview.jpg
Define “basic editing’. IME it was a PITA to edit with or without a full time peripheral device. But I was an early adopter. Perhaps things have improved.

It's even crazier that it had problems because those Benson amps are such simple circuits with almost nothing in them, so you'd think that there'd be way less to go wrong in the first place!

Just to recap. when I bought it (demo unit) the EL84 tube was WHACKED out badly and I think it messed up one of the caps. I'm certain that my case was a pretty unique outlier.

If you can learn to live with the software, it does sound superb.
I’ve been kicking around getting a used one. I’d like to try and profile the Ultra. I’ve heard the software is a PITA and I’m used to having to do that in my work. Still agree you shouldn’t have to fight it. Also I’ve never tried one so curious. Sounds really good you say?

I’ve heard the software is a PITA.

From what I've looked at so far it just seems really old school in operation and graphics. Rudimentary.

My plan is to never need it once I have the box loaded with DI captures. I'll have dirt pedals in front and then EQ
and time based pedals after it going into a guitar cab.

The complaints about the software UX are warranted, but the tones keep me coming back.

Sort of a tip - I swear there’s extra magic happening when using the captures included mic’d cab and I feel like I lose that magic when using IRs.

If you can find a half dozen captures (or make your own) that suit your tonal needs, I don’t personally think there’s a digital option out there that beats Tonex’s realism.

I hope it works for you.

One thing I’ll add is that I’ve been impressed at how realistically the Tonex hardware responds to dirt and boost pedals out front. I’ve not had great experiences with this in the past with most modeling tech, but Tonex seems to handle in stride.

Back