NGD: The Djent’ening (Schecter Banshee Mach7)

Whizzinby

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Curious to see if I can take to a 7 string guitar. :unsure:

Might need a sleeveless t-shirt.

IMG_4535.jpeg

Beautiful! Congrats. I found adapting to 7 (standard tuning) really easy. I mean, you've been messing around with adjacent E and B strings your whole life. Think of it this way: it's not an extra string - it's a topological upgrade. :giggle:

Love it! Schecter has that abalone overdose era but they have really righted that fugly ship, imo :love

A lot of the 7-string aesthetics aren’t my thing, but this is minimally offensive, and kinda sharp in its own way. I can’t do a proper Glamor Shot to do it justice. :ROFLMAO:

Neck is nice at first play, I expected it to be like playing a 4x4 post, but it’s smooth and not too intimidating.

I had one of their early 7s in the lateeeee 90s. It was a baseball and some ugly quilted plastic coated turd. This looks WORLDS better.

Beautiful! Congrats. I found adapting to 7 (standard tuning) really easy. I mean, you've been messing around with adjacent E and B strings your whole life. Think of it this way: it's not an extra string - it's a topological upgrade. :giggle:

I’ve done the accidentally play an E minor chord trying to play an A major thing a few times, but I think I’ll adapt.

Looks like it came in “standard” so the 7th string is forming standard tuning power chord shapes. Gonna play around with that or dropping the 7th string to dropped “D” shapes.

I had their 7 string suicide silence sig that was like a silverburst tele. I liked it at the time but in retrospect think it was kinda fugly. Your's looks infinitely better

I had one of their early 7s in the lateeeee 90s. It was a baseball and some ugly quilted plastic coated turd. This looks WORLDS better.

Was it the red one with the tribal or star abalone inlays with a 3” neck? The store I worked at in the late 90’s got a bunch of those and the early LTD M207’s in, I absolutely hated them. It was like both ESP and Schecter saw Ibanez pumping out 7’s and went “Oh, me too!” and just grabbed the nearest guitar and said “Make this a 7 string!”

Was it the red one with the tribal or star abalone inlays with a 3” neck? The store I worked at in the late 90’s got a bunch of those and the early LTD M207’s in, I absolutely hated them. It was like both ESP and Schecter saw Ibanez pumping out 7’s and went “Oh, me too!” and just grabbed the nearest guitar and said “Make this a 7 string!”
It was the red one that kinda looked like a slightly tamer version of the Hellraiser C7? At least from the looks of it. It was a Diamond series iirc.

I’ve done the accidentally play an E minor chord trying to play an A major thing a few times, but I think I’ll adapt.

Looks like it came in “standard” so the 7th string is forming standard tuning power chord shapes. Gonna play around with that or dropping the 7th string to dropped “D” shapes.

I think the quickest way to get used to it is to play some regular riffs you know in E, just on the lower string. It’s REALLY hard not to just chug some power chords with that low B, though. I really prefer 7-strings because of the way they feel and sound opposed to a downtuned 6 string. Even if I’m not utilizing all 7-strings, it’s hard not to feel like you’ve got giant balls when you’re chugging on that low B.

And when you dig up a pair of Jnco’s you can slap the Virtual Capo on, drop the whole thing down a step and bust out some Korn tunes!

May be an unpopular opinion but I put these guys up at the top with anyone else when it comes to bands that defined the 90s and influenced SO DAMN MUCH that followed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah they changed the game.

Ive drifted away from them with time, but they have some absolute slappers.

Stupid question, but has anyone just tried tuning to dropped D on the bottom six, (like a normal 6 string) then dropping the 7th string down to whatever would form a standard or dropped power cord with that 7th string?

Not helping that I’m trying to pick at this between calls at work. :ROFLMAO:

Nice! That's the model I played when I was I GC. Neck was pretty comfy, and I immediately dropped the B to A, because even I can figure out something to drop chug on. And it doesn't have a ridiculously flat radius, I think it's just under 14- which isn't extreme.

As for initially trying to play an E or A chord....Some times you end up playing the other one you didn't mean to, I definitely did several times.

Should be fairly easy to get used to over a few days.

Back