Let’s talk 7 Strings

You know, I hated the inlay at first but it's kinda growing on me. Same goes for 'lizard' bursts. I agree it would be a cool option to have no inlay -- but it's their brand.
Yeah, I don’t actually mind that one in particular. I was just talking about the overall trend (primarily with metal guitars) lately, of having one really ornate inlay at or around the 12th fret. I just think, “OK, except I don’t happen to be the artist formerly known as ‘Gzorpalarph’ or whatever TF that’s supposed to mean.”

Since @jellodog revived my Mac with a single button click, it’s new guitar time. I think I’m moving a 7-string up in the queue in front of a strat. (Chuggy time)

Naturally I’ve started the hunt with Schecter. I really dig the Banshee Mach 7. (Non-sustainiac version) Swamp ash, flamed maple neck, 26.5 scale length, locking tuners. It’s about as extreme a look as I’d go for too. (Some of these 7 strings look to be designed for meth fueled serial killers)

The C-7 Blackjack looks AWESOME, but mohogany body, mohagany top, mohagany neck, ebony fretboard makes me think this would be the darkest sounding guitar in the history of man.

The Aaron Marshall sig looks nice, but there seems to be some feedback that there are QC issues with that.

Non schecter I’ve obviously looked at Ibanez, they seem to be pretty safe, especially since I’m a 6 string RG owner already. (They shove Fluence pickups in many of them though, ugh)

I wish I had the stones to buy a Strandberg, but I don’t want to turn into a vegan. They actually look cool, but that’s a big dice roll to see if you’ll gel with something with that body type.

The Mark Holcomb 7 string is a great price, but I don’t recall being overwhelmed by the 6 string the one time I played it a few years ago. Might need to see if my local shop has it and give it another spin.

Anyways, what 7 strings do you guys have and like? What do you guys look for? I just want something 26.5 or greater in scale. Non-fluence pickups. (Which for some reason I just avoid at all cost)
A couple thoughts:

Schecter - I’d challenge the notion that the blackjack is going to be dark. In my experience as a C7+ (similar specs) owner for 20 years, the ebony fretboard adds a bright snap to the attack that really makes some guitars sound massive with high gain.

Scale Length - I personally find the extended scale length stuff to sound really weird when playing on anything other than the low B string. I know extended scale is all the rage and can help keep those lowest strings tight…but I just can’t get into the tonal impact. Everything ends up sounding plinky.

PRS Holcomb 7: I bought the 7 string Satin model last year and it was one of the biggest disappointments I’ve experienced in guitar buying. I hated the neck, hated the satin feel, the fretwork was the worst I’ve encountered on any PRS SE I’ve ever seen, and there were some significant finish flaws in the binding and on the body where the top had small chips. Could not send that back fast enough. Very cool looking instrument though.

Im down to a single 7 string guitar now, and it’s a PRS SE 24-7 custom which reminds me very much of my old Schecter C7+ and just feels awesome in every way. Cost wasn’t really a factor at the time that I scooped it up, but these pop up in GC’s used inventory for < 700 all the time. It’s a nice mix of traditional and modern appointments.

“OK, except I don’t happen to be the artist formerly known as ‘Gzorpalarph’ or whatever TF that’s supposed to mean.”
:: Backs out CNC instructions for "Gzorpalarph" 12th fret inlay ::

side-eye-meme-625x399.jpeg

Any love for multi scale headless guitars? I love my GOC.

Not sure if they have it in 7s, but they have the classic strat looking models.

8ae6f8_8a26df3e4056482ea0c59b9524f91d79~mv2.png
I like the wood finish on yours, and the multi-scale has always intrigued me. I was pretty close to buying a Kiesel Holdsworth model but never pulled the trigger. I sorta have a love/hate thing with headless guitars and it's purely from an aesthetic point of view. They're tough to visually balance unless you make the body smaller, because the headstock is gone. I'd almost have to have a faux headstock there, which would help visually and also be a place for the brand logo. I don't like when they but the company name right there on the body. The symbol on yours looks fine though.

I like the wood finish on yours, and the multi-scale has always intrigued me. I was pretty close to buying a Kiesel Holdsworth model but never pulled the trigger. I sorta have a love/hate thing with headless guitars and it's purely from an aesthetic point of view. They're tough to visually balance unless you make the body smaller, because the headstock is gone. I'd almost have to have a faux headstock there, which would help visually and also be a place for the brand logo. I don't like when they but the company name right there on the body. The symbol on yours looks fine though.
I have a Kiesel Holdsworth on long-term loan here, and I mostly love it. Looks wise I find it kind of bland and odd at the same time, but tonally it’s nice and snappy and articulate. And the small size without headstock is very practical in tight spaces, e.g. practicing at the kitchen table or wherever. There are downsides, though: string bending feels weird - too much tension and you can sometimes hear the ball ends pinging around at the nut - and the tuning machines put up a bit of a fight.

Same friend lent me a Strandberg with fanned frets and that funky hex wrench neck carve a few months back. Neither of those “features” work for me, at all.

I have a Kiesel Holdsworth on long-term loan here, and I mostly love it. Looks wise I find it kind of bland and odd at the same time, but tonally it’s nice and snappy and articulate. And the small size without headstock is very practical in tight spaces, e.g. practicing at the kitchen table or wherever. There are downsides, though: string bending feels weird - too much tension and you can sometimes hear the ball ends pinging around at the nut) and the tuning machines put up a bit of a fight.

Same friend lent me a Strandberg with fanned frets and that hex wrench neck carve a few months back. Neither of those “features” work for me, at all.
I've always read the Holdsworth neck was like a baseball bat. Is this the case?

I have a Kiesel Holdsworth on long-term loan here, and I mostly love it. Looks wise I find it kind of bland and odd at the same time, but tonally it’s nice and snappy and articulate. And the small size without headstock is very practical in tight spaces, e.g. practicing at the kitchen table or wherever. There are downsides, though: string bending feels weird - too much tension and you can sometimes hear the ball ends pinging around at the nut - and the tuning machines put up a bit of a fight.

Same friend lent me a Strandberg with fanned frets and that funky hex wrench neck carve a few months back. Neither of those “features” work for me, at all.
I still want to try a fanned fret guitar, but definitely one of those 'try in person' kinda things.

I like the wood finish on yours, and the multi-scale has always intrigued me...

Hey, thanks!

On multi-scales... I needed a 7-string years ago, but couldn't get along with the guitars I had before. So, I tried baritones. But, the longer scales were giving my short fingers a hard time. So, I gave up on 7-strings and baritones. Then, I saw a multi scale Agile 6-string, and it felt comfortable to me. So, I finally went for the multi-scaled GOC Materia 7, and finally got comfortable with 7s! It has the longer scales where it matters, and the familiar 25.5" giving me 2 guitars-in-one for me. I just opted for a 7 because its small'ish form fits my current tight play/studio space.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks!

On multi-scales... I needed a 7-string years ago, but couldn't get along with the guitars I had before. So, I tried baritones. But, the longer scales were giving my short fingers a hard time. So, I gave up on 7-strings and baritones. Then, I saw a multi scale Agile 6-string, and it felt comfortable to me. So, I finally went for the multi-scaled GOC Materia 7, and finally got comfortable with 7s! It has the longer scales where it matters, and the familiar 25.5" giving me 2 guitars in one for me. I just opted for a 7 because its small'ish form fits my current tight play/studio space.
More so in the last 2 or 3 yrs I keep one of my guitars tuned down to C or C# standard. It's an old MIJ Squier strat and it sounds really good. But the problem is it's impossible to have it intonate where it should be, due to heavier strings and no more saddle adjustment in the bass strings. So I see the benefits of a multi-scale and maybe in the near future I'll jump on something.

More so in the last 2 or 3 yrs I keep one of my guitars tuned down to C or C# standard. It's an old MIJ Squier strat and it sounds really good. But the problem is it's impossible to have it intonate where it should be, due to heavier strings and no more saddle adjustment in the bass strings. So I see the benefits of a multi-scale and maybe in the near future I'll jump on something.
1688217566801.jpeg

I've always read the Holdsworth neck was like a baseball bat. Is this the case?
It’s a bit chunky, yeah, but string spacing and overall width are pretty narrow, and the round cut (C? I’m not good at terminology) is comfortable.

I used to be really particular about always wanting really shallow necks (Ibby Wizard, Parker Fly) but these days I’ll adapt to almost anything. (Except giant hex wrenches LOL.) I’ve also come to appreciate - the hard way - that a neck that’s TOO thin can completely undermine tuning stability. :(

Seems like cheating.:grin
I have a Ricochet and it tracks pretty good... assuming the Drop does too?
I use it all the time. It’s on more than 50% of my Challenge entries. Just can’t drop more than 3 semis or it starts to tonesuck.

Although I haven't tried the Ricochet, I really enjoyed my Drop! It worked really well. However, I would prefer using a real guitar tuned to what is needed in a recording setting. The Drop would do great in live situations.

I made a comparo some time ago:

Although I haven't tried the Ricochet, I really enjoyed my Drop! It worked really well. However, I would prefer using a real guitar tuned to what is needed in a recording setting. The Drop would do great in live situations.

I made a comparo some time ago:

Great comparison. (y)
The Drop did very well. It loses some clarity/attack in the upper mids and bottom but perhaps post eq can remedy that.

Bumping this thread. I'm in the market for a 7 string but I'm finding it really hard to decide.

I guess the safest bet is just to get the 7 string version of my absolute favourite guitar just in a different colour. This one.

C-7%20SLS%20Elite.Blood%20Burst.01.png

Then there's this multiscale Reaper Elite but I'm not sure if fan frets are even a necessary thing(?).

Reaper-7%20Elite%20Multiscale.Deep%20Ocean%20Blue.01.png

Then there's also Evertune. Another thing I'm not sure if it's something that's needed or kind of snake oil.

I could go maverick and try a Solar.

20230503123707-A1.7LN20Canibalismo20-20DETAIL.png

Though it would probably be safer to stick with Schecter.

Banshee%20Mach-7%20Evertune.Fallout%20Burst.01.png

I really can't decide. Why does no one sell these around here?

Bumping this thread. I'm in the market for a 7 string but I'm finding it really hard to decide.

I guess the safest bet is just to get the 7 string version of my absolute favourite guitar just in a different colour. This one.

C-7%20SLS%20Elite.Blood%20Burst.01.png

Then there's this multiscale Reaper Elite but I'm not sure if fan frets are even a necessary thing(?).

Reaper-7%20Elite%20Multiscale.Deep%20Ocean%20Blue.01.png

Then there's also Evertune. Another thing I'm not sure if it's something that's needed or kind of snake oil.

I could go maverick and try a Solar.

20230503123707-A1.7LN20Canibalismo20-20DETAIL.png

Though it would probably be safer to stick with Schecter.

Banshee%20Mach-7%20Evertune.Fallout%20Burst.01.png

I really can't decide. Why does no one sell these around here?

I landed on the Schecter Banshee Mach 7

Really like it. Neck is really comfortable and this thing stays in tune like a champ. (Like I can pick it up after a couple weeks and it’s still in tune) The Lundgrens are very mid forward and hot, I’ve come around to them. (Particularly because they have a cool character for clean’ish stuff too)

IMG_4535.jpeg

Back