NGD: The Djent’ening (Schecter Banshee Mach7)

Stupid question, but has anyone just tried tuning to dropped D on the bottom six, (like a normal 6 string) then dropping the 7th string down to whatever would form a standard or dropped power cord with that 7th string?

Not helping that I’m trying to pick at this between calls at work. :ROFLMAO:

You mean like

G-D-A-D-G-B-E ?

Stupid question, but has anyone just tried tuning to dropped D on the bottom six, (like a normal 6 string) then dropping the 7th string down to whatever would form a standard or dropped power cord with that 7th string?

Not helping that I’m trying to pick at this between calls at work. :ROFLMAO:

I know Wes Borland did something like that back in the day when he was using a 7. Then at one point he had two high E’s on it. Don’t think that dude ever actually wanted to play a 7-string. :rofl

I know Wes Borland did something like that back in the day when he was using a 7. Then at one point he had two high E’s on it. Don’t think that dude ever actually wanted to play a 7-string. :rofl
Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes

I think it'd be A-D-A-D-G-B-E.

Yeah like X-D-A-D-G-B-E. With the 7th string being whatever I could tune it to to form a power chord in either standard or dropped.

I’d also probably drop the others to dropped C#, but that 7th string might flop around like a set of geriatrics nutz trying tuning that low.

Yeah like X-D-A-D-G-B-E. With the 7th string being whatever I could tune it to to form a power chord in either standard or dropped.

I’d also probably drop the others to dropped C#, but that 7th string might flop around like a set of geriatrics nutz trying tuning that low.

Whats the scale length?

When I played 7s I used tuned to "drop G" (D standard with the low string tuned to G). Never had any flopiness problems on 26.5". I also was a goofball and started buying 8 string packs and using that lowest guage on the low string, but it was necessary, I just liked really huge strings back then lol

Whats the scale length?

When I played 7s I used tuned to "drop G" (D standard with the low string tuned to G). Never had any flopiness problems on 26.5". I also was a goofball and started buying 8 string packs and using that lowest guage on the low string, but it was necessary, I just liked really huge strings back then lol

This thing is kind of hilarious because it’s tuned to E standard on the bottom 6 strings which I never play in. So it’s pretty much happy tones, then you hit the A and it sounds like Armageddon. It’s kind of comical how happy/sad it gets.

I think I’ll drop everything down half a step soon to take a little of the sheen off the bottom 6 strings.

I don’t think it’s hard to play at all, but I think it’s going to be a test of will learning new chord shapes.

It also absorbs all the gain. Now I know what the 5153 Red channel is for :ROFLMAO:

Got a good session in. I figured this would be a polarizing experience, and it’s proving to be. Being in E standard takes away all my shit. What shit? My shit. :ROFLMAO: Normally I’ve got all my voicings on lock in dropped C#, in that I can hear it my head and go to it on the fretboard. I’m lost as a nun in a Wh*re house in E standard, despite the fact that dropping to A on the lowest string gets me somewhat a familiar chug base.

Dropped the 6th string to D and I get all my normal fingerings back. Yay. Going to spend more time with this tomorrow. Which I guess is A-D-A-D-G-B-E. I made a brief stop dropping the low string to G(?) So that it has a dropped shape with the adjacent D string. This is the tuning for the end of the world. :LOL: Good times.

I’m not normally a Recto guy, but it is made for this. :chef Gonna try the 5150 tomorrow.

Got a good session in. I figured this would be a polarizing experience, and it’s proving to be. Being in E standard takes away all my shit. What shit? My shit. :ROFLMAO: Normally I’ve got all my voicings on lock in dropped C#, in that I can hear it my head and go to it on the fretboard. I’m lost as a nun in a Wh*re house in E standard, despite the fact that dropping to A on the lowest string gets me somewhat a familiar chug base.

Dropped the 6th string to D and I get all my normal fingerings back. Yay. Going to spend more time with this tomorrow. Which I guess is A-D-A-D-G-B-E. I made a brief stop dropping the low string to G(?) So that it has a dropped shape with the adjacent D string. This is the tuning for the end of the world. :LOL: Good times.

I’m not normally a Recto guy, but it is made for this. :chef Gonna try the 5150 tomorrow.

Once you get down in A the need for a boost to tighten up the low end becomes increasingly necessary!

Congrats! I think I've played my 7 with a low B for all of 5 minutes. Drop A (or downtuned equivalent) makes way more sense to me, as it's basically a standard tuned guitar with the ability to add an easy low octave and 5th to root5 major/minor barre chords.

Recto or FAS Modern with the grinder boost on is absolutely sick with a 7.

The Helix Soldano amps work beautifully with 7s in B or A...

Now, use that gorgeous thang for a Do Something Challenge entry, stat!

Got a better feel for the thing this morning. Just going the A-E-D-G-B-E route. Nothing fit for human consumption yet as all I’ve been inclined to do so far is chug the worst atonal riffs known to man, which I suppose is the point.

My family is definitely loving this thing.

Screaming Matt Damon GIF

Got a better feel for the thing this morning. Just going the A-E-D-G-B-E route. Nothing fit for human consumption yet as all I’ve been inclined to do so far is chug the worst atonal riffs known to man, which I suppose is the point.

My family is definitely loving this thing.

Screaming Matt Damon GIF
What are you plugging into for it???

Just a thought. I'd tune down to your Eb/drop C#/aka now drop Ab tuning.... since that
longer scale length tends to also increase string tension. You'll likely get a more familiar
feel with those thicker strings at less tension by tuning down.

I have a 26.5 scale Shecter (6 string Baritone) and it really digs that half-step down on all strings.

Sounds like your ear is used to it, too. :idk

The one issue is it would impact your setup and maybe require a truss rod tweak and resetting
the intonation.

Just a thought. I'd tune down to your Eb/drop C#/aka now drop Ab tuning.... since that
longer scale length tends to also increase string tension. You'll likely get a more familiar
feel with those thicker strings at less tension by tuning down.

I have a 26.5 scale Shecter (6 string Baritone) and it really digs that half-step down on all strings.

Sounds like your ear is used to it, too.
Tune high E down to C# as well for Limp Bizkit riffage :guiness

Back