Let’s talk 7 Strings

4vNjewu.jpeg
I have the hardtail version of that Solar. Really dig it.

4vNjewu.jpeg
I have the hardtail version of that Solar. Really dig it.

I think that yellow Solar is still in the running for me. Tell me more. Do they have a nice feel? Is the neck good? How do they compare to Schecter?

I think that yellow Solar is still in the running for me. Tell me more. Do they have a nice feel? Is the neck good? How do they compare to Schecter?
The best way I've found to describe them is a cross between Jackson and Ibanez. Thinner, fast necks (Not Wizard thin, but in that realm), light bodies that are very well balanced, great access to the higher frets (not that I use them cause I'm just a rhythm hack) and good pickups (IIRC, a modified Duncan Custom 5 with alnico magnet?)

I had to change the volume pot on my 2019 A2.6S a few months back, but otherwise none of my Solars have ever let me down - and lets face it, replacing a pot isn't a big deal, particularly on a 5-year old workhorse.

I'm not the biggest fan of the guitar tuning keys, but the bass ones are just about the best ones I've ever had.

As for comparison to Schecter, the Solars are lighter/sleeker/faster and don't have that horrendous volute bump that some Schecters have. I may not be the best person to ask though, as for every 10 Schecters I pick up, I put 7 of them right back down. I did have a KM6 mk1 for years that I absolutely loved, but once I got my A2.6S, the KM just started collecting dust and I ultimately sold it, then bought my Solar A2.6CAR.

For Solar 7s, I had an A2.7LNFR (Lemon Neon Floyd Rose) for awhile, but again, not a lead player so a Floyd is just an excuse to do dive-bombs and get annoyed when changing strings. So, I sold it when I got this Canibalismo.

If you go listen to my Do Something Challenge entries, most of them are done with Solar guitars.

Hope that helps!

The best way I've found to describe them is a cross between Jackson and Ibanez. Thinner, fast necks (Not Wizard thin, but in that realm), light bodies that are very well balanced, great access to the higher frets (not that I use them cause I'm just a rhythm hack) and good pickups (IIRC, a modified Duncan Custom 5 with alnico magnet?)

I had to change the volume pot on my 2019 A2.6S a few months back, but otherwise none of my Solars have ever let me down - and lets face it, replacing a pot isn't a big deal, particularly on a 5-year old workhorse.

I'm not the biggest fan of the guitar tuning keys, but the bass ones are just about the best ones I've ever had.

As for comparison to Schecter, the Solars are lighter/sleeker/faster and don't have that horrendous volute bump that some Schecters have. I may not be the best person to ask though, as for every 10 Schecters I pick up, I put 7 of them right back down. I did have a KM6 mk1 for years that I absolutely loved, but once I got my A2.6S, the KM just started collecting dust and I ultimately sold it, then bought my Solar A2.6CAR.

For Solar 7s, I had an A2.7LNFR (Lemon Neon Floyd Rose) for awhile, but again, not a lead player so a Floyd is just an excuse to do dive-bombs and get annoyed when changing strings. So, I sold it when I got this Canibalismo.

If you go listen to my Do Something Challenge entries, most of them are done with Solar guitars.

Hope that helps!

I'm tempted to get it and also yellow custom BKP with black Helldivers 2 themed etching.

Bumping this thread. I'm in the market for a 7 string but I'm finding it really hard to decide.
Go for fanned frets. It makes for a better playing experience on anything with more than 6 strings. The blue Schecter looks nice.

I'm finding it very hard what to choose. Was also looking at this Schecter today. It has great specs for a low price. A perfect do-er upper.

Sunset6%20Extreme.Grey%20Ghost.01.png

I won't be getting it 'til the end of Summer so I'm not under pressure. You never know what might come out in the meantime.

Yeah I think I'm getting that guitar right above after watching all the video reviews I can find plus two people on the Schecter FB page got this guitar in the last couple of days and are absolutely gushing about them.

I also think it's the most risk adverse path I can take going with a brand I already love and have been reliable.

I think it will look good with brushed nickel covered BKPs.

Also looking at getting a 7 string. I can't decide and it's been a tough decision.

Was looking at the KM7 mk-ii, a Banshee Mach 7 or the c-7 SLS Elite. Been racking my brain trying to decide. If anyone has any input between these guitars.

The sunset looks cool too but for 1k new id rather buy an sls or banshee used.

My 2 favorite 7s have been the Caparison Dellinger FX-AM. Neck was a little chunkier than I was used to but damn was it incredible and so easy to play. Definitely the best playing and best sounding 7 I've had. I regret selling it. Was looking at another but I don't want to spend that much and the market doesnt seem to have anything good to offer me.

The 2nd best was the KM7 mkiii artist. Definitely an amazing guitar, I like everything about it but the Fishmans to me are generic with no personality although it still sounded great.

On paper the Banshee is what I want but I went to play one at GC and was very disappointed. I want to force myself to believe it was just setup very badly so I am going to the other GC nearby to try a different one tomorrow.

Anyway long ass post. If anyone here has had these models to compare them what are your thoughts?

I’d definitely advise anyone buying their first 7-string to do what you can to play them in person. The wideness of the neck is enough to throw people off and if you take one in that’s on the chunky side with the thickness, it doesn’t really translate the same way playing a chunky 6-string neck does because you’re essentially fighting 2 different ways.

It seems most companies realized Ibanez got it right with the neck thickness and made some adjustments, the early Schecter 7-string necks were stupid big, but the few I played last year were comfy and closer to the Ibanez profile. The PRS Holcomb 7 was a bit chunkier than the Schecters, going off memory.

Personally, I LOVE the Solar neck profile. It’s a perfect C shape, fills your hand without being ‘big’ and is just super comfortable for riffing out or leads. I also really dig the taper on that neck, I noticed last night at practice I barely ever look down to ensure I’m on the right fret when playing the Solar, but my LP I constantly have to check because the neck taper isn’t as wide.

I got a tax rebate of €1392 today. Might be getting my 7 string sooner than I thought.
After seeing your posts I wanted to chime in with my experience.

I also had a Reaper and it was a GREAT neck. Like a 9/10 where as my KM7 mk iii was a 9.5/10.

Very very close to the same carve even though on paper they should be the same. But I wanted to talk about the Banshee. We are talking a thin U vs a thin C. I'm not sure if you've ever played one but I just could not love the Banshee. I played 2 different guitars and idk, I just highly prefer the thin C over the thin U. To me there is a difference.

If the reaper neck is your thing I would stick with a thin C.

As a side note I just bought a beat to hell C7 Sls because the price was right BUT I almost pulled the trigger on this minty KM7 mkiii in Trans black. Its still available in the groups on Facebook i believe. Dude is asking 1200 shipped. Idk if he will ship to EU but I would be all over that one

I’d definitely advise anyone buying their first 7-string to do what you can to play them in person. The wideness of the neck is enough to throw people off and if you take one in that’s on the chunky side with the thickness, it doesn’t really translate the same way playing a chunky 6-string neck does because you’re essentially fighting 2 different ways.

It seems most companies realized Ibanez got it right with the neck thickness and made some adjustments, the early Schecter 7-string necks were stupid big, but the few I played last year were comfy and closer to the Ibanez profile. The PRS Holcomb 7 was a bit chunkier than the Schecters, going off memory.

Personally, I LOVE the Solar neck profile. It’s a perfect C shape, fills your hand without being ‘big’ and is just super comfortable for riffing out or leads. I also really dig the taper on that neck, I noticed last night at practice I barely ever look down to ensure I’m on the right fret when playing the Solar, but my LP I constantly have to check because the neck taper isn’t as wide.

Unfortunately no one really sells 7 strings in Ireland.

I'm going to Sweden in two days so I'm going to try pop into a guitar shop there. You can buy Strandberg off the shelves.

Edit: This place has loads of 7 strings.

After seeing your posts I wanted to chime in with my experience.

I also had a Reaper and it was a GREAT neck. Like a 9/10 where as my KM7 mk iii was a 9.5/10.

Very very close to the same carve even though on paper they should be the same. But I wanted to talk about the Banshee. We are talking a thin U vs a thin C. I'm not sure if you've ever played one but I just could not love the Banshee. I played 2 different guitars and idk, I just highly prefer the thin C over the thin U. To me there is a difference.

If the reaper neck is your thing I would stick with a thin C.

As a side note I just bought a beat to hell C7 Sls because the price was right BUT I almost pulled the trigger on this minty KM7 mkiii in Trans black. Its still available in the groups on Facebook i believe. Dude is asking 1200 shipped. Idk if he will ship to EU but I would be all over that one

There's a KM7 of some sort on the local ads. Mki I think.

Last edited:
Unfortunately no one really sells 7 strings in Ireland.

I'm going to Sweden in two days so I'm going to try pop into a guitar shop there. You can buy Strandberg off the shelves.

Edit: This place has loads of 7 strings.

There's a KM7 of some sort on the local ads. Mki I think.

Well shit, if you’re in Sweden, just knock on Ola’s door and ask to try a Solar!

Back