Quality Control / Design Improvements / Cost

Even “less in the way” is subjective. If someone never found the old one to be in the way, then a new one couldn’t be less in the way. You can’t have less of none
It’s objective, just because it doesn’t matter to you is the part that is subjective.

It’s objective, just because it doesn’t matter to you is the part that is subjective.

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

I think you could call a neck heel that gets less in the way to be objectively better. Even the Fender Ultra version.
When I said that I found the Ultra Heel better than my previous Strats, I think I meant it subjectively and objectively, fwiw.

And I wasn't going to pay $4500(AUS) more for a Suhr Modern - and none in the store were SSS. A Suhr Classic SSS was only $3500 more than the Ultra. Price-point and availability are major factors in my purchasing.

I'd love a Murphy Labs Les Paul Custom and a Pete Thorn signature Suhr with a 100w Marshall Stack. $$$ and space - and noise poluution laws - are in the way.

Some of us don't mess with what we purchase too much. I have a PRS SE 245 that I like, but has a dead spot on one fret. It could also do with replacing the plastic nut with Tusq or bone, putting in locking tuners as well a fret dressing or whatever it needs for the dead spot.

Maybe I should consider changing the pickups while it's in for the rest.

Yeah I could get the right angled pickups from Bare Knuckle at least, probably from Seymour Duncan but it's always custom orders so it'll be extra expense. Can't just walk into a store and buy a set so I've just stuck with the Juggernaut and made it work. It's a very fat sounding pickup that I wish was a bit brighter in character.

I've been contemplating changing the pots to 1M to see if that helps.
1M might help a bit. Have you considered adding a series/parallel switch or even a bass cut control in place of the tone control (if it has one)?
The bass cut is a much simpler mod of course, but it is effective at taming a fat pickup.

1M might help a bit. Have you considered adding a series/parallel switch or even a bass cut control in place of the tone control (if it has one)?
The bass cut is a much simpler mod of course, but it is effective at taming a fat pickup.
I honestly want both tone and bass cut, but that would need to be a concentric pot which is not very nice. Maybe a push pull preset bass cut could do.

I honestly want both tone and bass cut, but that would need to be a concentric pot which is not very nice. Maybe a push pull preset bass cut could do.
How about a no load pot for tone .
It adds a decent amount of top end.
You could even try one on the volume as well.

How about a no load pot for tone .
It adds a decent amount of top end.
You could even try one on the volume as well.
That's not a bad idea either. I have no load pots on my old Yamaha SA-1200S but I do tend to prefer that guitar with tone at 9 or below.

I feel like the Skervesen has a similar issue that I had on my Tele before changing pickups, that the overall brightness was just a bit too low to get a good range of adjustment from the tone pot. Like it went from "eh, could be brighter" to "darker" when you start turning the tone pot.

I don’t know, playing a Les Paul sat down or on the upper frets is pretty shitty isn’t it?
It’s an unpleasant experience for me personally. I think they’re incredibly ass heavy. But that doesn’t make the guitar shitty. I’m also dismayed that they’re seemingly always in need of a really good setup brand new, when that’s not my experience with other equivalently priced instruments.
But I’m trying to finally be the grownup here, and not call something I don’t like “shitty”. :rofl

It’s an unpleasant experience for me personally. I think they’re incredibly ass heavy. But that doesn’t make the guitar shitty. I’m also dismayed that they’re seemingly always in need of a really good setup brand new, when that’s not my experience with other equivalently priced instruments.
But I’m trying to finally be the grownup here, and not call something I don’t like “shitty”. :rofl
It's not "just" you don't like it, it does have objectively bad design in parts . A lot of things that people say are "opinion" are a lot more than that. I think it is down to the individual how they react to the objective problems in the design. Whether the iconic history plays a part or it's the guitar you always wanted as a kid. There is a lot going on but calling it a shitty experience is more than fair.

Back