New Mesa Mark amp coming?

Soooooooooo....... @PBGas

Now that you've had it a little bit; some questions from me:

1. How much redundancy/overlap is there between the VII and the Badlander?
2. How easy is it to get a usable 3 channel combination for live gigging? Clean/crunch/lead that is balanced and doesn't feel like you are hopping into completely different worlds with each channel change?

Hey Bud! They sound very different and for me that is 100% a good thing!
I still just love both amps equally. The Badlander is just a tight sounding chug machine and when I switch back to the cleans, can do a wicked funk tone. It sounds completely different from this amp, no question. When I am now recording, I have so many choices for tones!

The VII has just so much more in in. I can't explain how much I love all three channels on it. That Mark IV mode is just incredible on this amp. I have used the 2C+ a bit as well but I love the Mark IV tones on it.

On the second channel, the VII and the Crunch mode are the only 2 I have used thus far. I can go with either of them. The VII has this gnarly bite to it and just grinds nicely when you bite down hard on the strings. It's pretty damn cool! I switch between those 2 modes for rhythm depending upon where we are playing or rehearsing and what I am feeling at the time. Crunch is awesome for a great rhythm tone!

As far as using it live, I have a big corporate gig on Apr. 14th that I will be using this. I played on Friday night at my local pub for my regular house band gig and used the Badlander. Why? I was waiting for my parts to arrive for my pedalboard. I am mounting in a 7-pin socket and wiring it to a 90degree jack on the Mesa footswitch. That switch is going to be mounted to my board. This way, everything is on my board and I just plug in the cable snake I made. Easy peazy.

I have a rehearsal next Sunday and will try it there. Using it at home, I have all I need with clean, dirty and filthy! This will work nicely.
Not to mention, I don't have to carry the load box and power supply with me anymore! The York IRs I put in from Bogner and Mesa sound stunning in this thing! I was extremely happy with the headphone out using IRs as well. I would have loved to have a space control like the Captor X and OX have but I can replicate that on the DAW going direct and all good.

Soooooooooo....... @PBGas

Now that you've had it a little bit; some questions from me:

1. How much redundancy/overlap is there between the VII and the Badlander? And is the VII $1500 better?? :whistle
2. How easy is it to get a usable 3 channel combination for live gigging? Clean/crunch/lead that is balanced and doesn't feel like you are hopping into completely different worlds with each channel change?

:idk

Reactions: JT
It's interesting to me that the Mark VII mode is on Channel 2, which suggests it incorporates
fewer gain stages than the modes on Channel 3, which include the Mark IV and IIC+ modes. :idk

• 100%
Reactions: JT
Hey Bud! They sound very different and for me that is 100% a good thing!
I still just love both amps equally. The Badlander is just a tight sounding chug machine and when I switch back to the cleans, can do a wicked funk tone. It sounds completely different from this amp, no question. When I am now recording, I have so many choices for tones!

The VII has just so much more in in. I can't explain how much I love all three channels on it. That Mark IV mode is just incredible on this amp. I have used the 2C+ a bit as well but I love the Mark IV tones on it.

On the second channel, the VII and the Crunch mode are the only 2 I have used thus far. I can go with either of them. The VII has this gnarly bite to it and just grinds nicely when you bite down hard on the strings. It's pretty damn cool! I switch between those 2 modes for rhythm depending upon where we are playing or rehearsing and what I am feeling at the time. Crunch is awesome for a great rhythm tone!

As far as using it live, I have a big corporate gig on Apr. 14th that I will be using this. I played on Friday night at my local pub for my regular house band gig and used the Badlander. Why? I was waiting for my parts to arrive for my pedalboard. I am mounting in a 7-pin socket and wiring it to a 90degree jack on the Mesa footswitch. That switch is going to be mounted to my board. This way, everything is on my board and I just plug in the cable snake I made. Easy peazy.

I have a rehearsal next Sunday and will try it there. Using it at home, I have all I need with clean, dirty and filthy! This will work nicely.
Not to mention, I don't have to carry the load box and power supply with me anymore! The York IRs I put in from Bogner and Mesa sound stunning in this thing! I was extremely happy with the headphone out using IRs as well. I would have loved to have a space control like the Captor X and OX have but I can replicate that on the DAW going direct and all good.
Thanks for the detailed breakdown. The Badlander is awesome. So justifying that price difference is definitely a thing. I am keeping my eyes peeled and will be pouncing when the right moment hits. Hopefully :bag

Little side by side from Raf :satan :chef:satan

@PBGas ; report back when you get more time with it. I'd actually like to hear more about Crunch mode (for cover band justification purposes :bag)

Just seeing this now, but the VII on the IV mode was beautiful. Edit- Derp, now I see what he's doing (lotta Cheetos today), yeah....holy sh*t....both the IIC and IV slay. I haven't had this kind of reaction to an amp in a long time....I can't think about this anymore!

That JP2C sure sounds dark and muddy in comparison. Which means I don't trust how that
dude has those amps dialed. :facepalm

:LOL:

That is true. I didn't even look to see what metrics he was using as a comparison at all aside from being two different heads. Regardless, if those are the tones that came out of the VII, they're sick.

That JP2C sure sounds dark and muddy in comparison. Which means I don't trust how that

The JP2C is definitely not a dark and muddy amp. The JP is a really straight forward amp, well for a Mark anyway. I'm looking forward to putting the VII through it's paces when mine arrives this week. I expect it to be a lot more versatile and I'm expecting VII mode to be very good for leads.

He also has a video comparing the JP2C, Mark VII, and EVH 5150 100w Stealth where the Stealth has nowhere near even close to the same upper frequency EQ profile because he has the Presence dialed at noon, which due to the log Presence pot means it is almost off for that amp.

Dude definitely dials his stuff with his eyes and not his ears, so his videos can't really be trusted imo.

He also has a video comparing the JP2C, Mark VII, and EVH 5150 100w Stealth where the Stealth has nowhere near even close to the same upper frequency EQ profile because he has the Presence dialed at noon, which due to the log Presence pot means it is almost off for that amp.

Dude definitely dials his stuff with his eyes and not his ears, so his videos can't really be trusted imo.
100% agreed. But he does get good tones most of the time.

Absolutely ludicrous post.

The JP2C is definitely not a dark and muddy amp. The JP is a really straight forward amp, well for a Mark anyway. I'm looking forward to putting the VII through it's paces when mine arrives this week. I expect it to be a lot more versatile and I'm expecting VII mode to be very good for leads.

That's exactly why I commented about how it sounded in that comparison vid. Something is way off with that comparison.
He made a great amp (JP2C) sound like ass.

Congrats on the VII, Vince. Look forward to your thoughts/experience with it. :beer

Last edited:
That's exactly why I commented about how it sounded in that comparison vid. Something is way off with that comparison.
He made a great amp (JP2C) sound like ass.

Congrats on the VII, Vince. Look forward to your thoughts/experience with it. :beer
Thanks! I have a good feeling I know what my experience is going to be with it. I'm a Mesa fanboy, I'm sure it's going to be great.

If you're not specific when you insult people, you just come off like a barking dog.

What about my post was ludicrous to you?
ludacris GIF

If you're not specific when you insult people, you just come off like a barking dog.

What about my post was ludicrous to you?

No offense.. but you were the one casting insults. Raf is good people, and frankly I’d consider him the authority on anything 5150 of any iteration. I’m sorry you don’t like his clips but your knocks against the man are total bullshit. Take some self analysis my friend

But essentially, everything about your post was ludicrous

Feel free to share your own stealth, JP2C, or mark VIi clips to prove me wrong or stupid

Everything about your post is not just ludicrous, but strait horse shit actually

Last edited:

To be fair....

The presence only looks like it is at noon for the green channel... the others are at about 2 o'clock .... but also... the presence on those amps really doesn't do very much until it is at around 3 o'clock....

Gotta be honest, he has dailed the EVH in way too dark for me, he also has the volumes quite low. The VII sounds great.

I agree with the spirit of GG's post, even if not the exact wording.

Back