Neural DSP Nano Cortex

Again, just via headphones and no linking.
Navigating on board the thing is pretty easy but one big complaint.

1. The IR, FX, Bank, and Capture LED lenses could be improved by having the light pipe flush with the top face
and with a bit more juice behind the LED. In a room w/o any window light you can see them OK but not so much
with daytime ambient brightness.

1726873092503.png

Otherwise it's really simple to get around after very little time and all of the included sounds are QC level nice. Impressive box.

Last edited:
Is there a setting on the Nano that brings up the tuner when the expression pedal goes heel down/toe up (like BOSS, Kemper Player, FM3 etc...)?

Also, where in the chain is the expression pedal volume placed? I need it to be after the amp and cab but before the delay and reverb.

Is there a setting on the Nano that brings up the tuner when the expression pedal goes heel down/toe up (like BOSS, Kemper Player, FM3 etc...)?

Also, where in the chain is the expression pedal volume placed? I need it to be after the amp and cab but before the delay and reverb.
No to the tuner it seems. I don't think there is an expression pedal volume control. You can control the level with expression so I imagine that will be in the capture block so not where you are imagining it

It might be hard to believe but I've spoken to a bunch of non forum guitar players and they love the thought of having a mini kemper thats NeuralDSP branded for that price... they literally can't see any downsides to it. I've pointed out a few and its like, whatever dude it works and makes noise, awesome. I kind of massively get that, if you were willing to deal with the quirks of the ToneX and ToneX one then I dont see the NC as being any worse in that department... if anything its better cause it doesnt need a computer for captures. The app looks slick enough to get things done as well.

Again, capture only pedal not for me / probably not for anyone with a decent amount of gear but for someone dipping their toes into this stuff its a decent offering.

The Nano comes with a USB-C to USB-C cable.

Mine only works with the plugs in a certain orientation. If I reverse either 180 it doesn't work.
I've never experienced this before with USB-C. I know my phone charges better with a certain
orientation but it still functions both ways.

Can this be right?

The Nano comes with a USB-C to USB-C cable.

Mine only works with the plugs in a certain orientation. If I reverse either 180 it doesn't work.
I've never experienced this before with USB-C. I know my phone charges better with a certain
orientation but it still functions both ways.

Can this be right?
I’ve seen that before, as well as non-data, charge-only USB-C cables.

What kinda KoolAid have those Guitar World guys been drinking?
I mean, sure, you can like this device. And I'm sure I'd like it as well, at least for what it is.
But "ultra-powerful"? When a device can't even run a dirtbox along with an amp sim? When there's a limited and fixed amount of FX that isn't exactly overwhelming?

As said, no problem with people buying and liking the unit. But this time the hyperbole is really strong all around.
FFS, there's nothing game changing, there's nothing exceptionally powerful and there's nothing exceptionally brilliant in terms of anything else or NDSPs engineering at all.
Sure, the package itself might float your personal boat so well it checks all boxes. Again: Fine. But people rave about it as if it was the second coming of the guitar christ.
$$$$$$$$$$ koolaid

I think even though it’s sold out(because of price point) a lot of guys will likely return them one they figure out the hard limits. So you will see a bunch used

Cost, size, heat.

a1fc54eb-bcf9-490c-82ee-6a6600e30bee

Having said that, I can't imagine why there aren't a few different modulation effects, a couple of different reverbs, and the ability to swap something else in place of that transpose block. Hopefully we'll see improvements like these in firmware updates... S O O N.
Are you saying you can’t swap out effects for diff ones?

They should have aimed a bit higher and made it useful. It’s seriously half assed as it is.

Or aim lower. Either drop the FX (which probably would have made it cheaper) and just have it be a thorough dual capture (series or stereo) + dual cab option. Or, pump the specs up for FX, add an Fx loop, and let users select one algo for each Fx type. (Comp, drive, mod, delay, reverb) If that device is $750, who gives a shit, if that makes it a proper offering?

To me this is caught between being a “product” and “solution”.

Noting this will sell very well and there will be people that find value in its narrow application.

Or aim lower. Either drop the FX (which probably would have made it cheaper) and just have it be a thorough dual capture (series or stereo) + dual cab option. Or, pump the specs up for FX, add an Fx loop, and let users select one algo for each Fx type. (Comp, drive, mod, delay, reverb) If that device is $750, who gives a shit, if that makes it a proper offering?

To me this is caught between being a “product” and “solution”.

Noting this will sell very well and there will be people that find value in its narrow application.

Or they're setting the table for the MiniCortex that'll come out in a year.

You want all the guns - buy a Quad
Only need a pistol - the Nano's got you
Middle of the road will be the Mini.

GettyImages-136802589-cb6eaa407da8407ab971b23d583843a8.jpg

Re: effects. I think they put the bare bones stuff in out of convenience.
All 3 sound really, really good and could get any player by in a pinch.

I was auditioning all the captures in the box last night with phones on and
having a nice blend of stereo delay and verb happening helped a ton.

Glass is half full!

Or they're setting the table for the MiniCortex that'll come out in a year.

You want all the guns - buy a Quad
Only need a pistol - the Nano's got you
Middle of the road will be the Mini.

GettyImages-136802589-cb6eaa407da8407ab971b23d583843a8.jpg

Re: effects. I think they put the bare bones stuff in out of convenience.
All 3 sound really, really good and could get any player by in a pinch.

I was auditioning all the captures in the box last night with phones on and
having a nice blend of stereo delay and verb happening helped a ton.

Glass is half full!
They could do that , but really they don’t move that fast , I doubt you will see another hardware unit from them for a long while , the biggest clue is that they did have the Dual Cortex trademarked but it was abandoned last year
Unless maybe they changed names to Duo or Mini

Back