Neural DSP Quad Cortex Firmware Update Thread

QC Question:

Can I capture my Mesa Electra Dyne head using the "Slave Out" on the back? (ie. without a load box?)

It seems like "thumperjack" (I know, I know...) at TOP has done this with other Mesas?

SLAVE OUTPUT / LEVEL This 1/4” jack and its associated LEVEL Control capture the entire sound of the amplifier (preamp and
power section) for use as a feed to either an effects processor(s) or additional power amps for big venue applications. The signal is
derived from the Speaker Output and is padded down and wired to the SLAVE LEVEL Control so that you can adjust
the signal strength to match your application.

There is no “speaker simulation” present at the SLAVE Output so this signal will not perform well as a “recording output”.
Guitar speakers have a significant amount of roll-off of the top end and many have a “bump” in the bottom end as well
and the effect of this shaping can’t be overlooked when recording guitar sounds. There will simply be too much top
end present to use any of the overdriven sounds for direct recording applications. There is also a much larger amount
of signal available at the SLAVE and these higher levels could overload and possibly damage the mixers Input section if the SLAVE
is used with a high level setting. Use the SLAVE for adding additional power or for a feed to your effects (rack).

NOTE: Once you have taken a line out of the SLAVE you cannot go back into the EFFECTS RETURN or a feedback loop will occur
and result in a high pitched squeal.

NOTE: ALWAYS BEGIN BY SETTING THE SLAVE LEVEL TO 7:30 (All the way off) WHEN PATCHING UP YOUR SYSTEM! The signal
from the SLAVE can be quite high and an accidental high setting could cause damage to both your ears and other gear downstream
in the signal path. Always zero the LEVEL out before you power up unless you have it marked for a safe setting. Check the setting
every time you move your gear as the SLAVE LEVEL may have been moved during transport.

Can I capture my Mesa Electra Dyne head using the "Slave Out" on the back? (ie. without a load box?)
I would not be turning my amp on without some sort of load connected (internal or otherwise). I wouldn't recommend this just because I'm overly cautious lol

Yes you'd have to have it connected to a cab or loadbox still by the sounds of it

But yeah I don't see why slave out couldn't be fed into the QC
Yes, I've done it with my SLO 30's slave out. As noted, it needs to be connected to the cab still but the slave out eliminates the need for anything beyond your amp and speaker to get a signal to the QC suitable for capture.

Sorry, I see this is a very update-focused thread, was trying to ask that ^^^ in a general QC one (don’t know if we have that?).

Anyway, looks like I’ll be making some Electra Dyne captures tonight!

(Paging @JiveTurkey)
Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Yes, I've done it with my SLO 30's slave out. As noted, it needs to be connected to the cab still but the slave out eliminates the need for anything beyond your amp and speaker to get a signal to the QC suitable for capture.

What kind of cable should I use from the Slave Out into the QC? TS?

Back