Neural DSP Quad Cortex Firmware Update Thread

A Kraken model is cool - i don't think it's available on any other platform? I wonder if they just modeled Rabea's after they got the amps shipped for the plugin :D

But, c'mon guys. Besides new amps, the rest is minor quality-of-life updates. Where're the plugin integration and desktop editor? I have money on those landing within three years after launch.

Last edited:
The Kraken is one of the worst amps I've ever played.
7wh47x.gif

And, that is.... baaaaaaaaad?

Never played one in real life, but every Kemper profile or Neural....whatever...of a Super Kraken or Kraken that I've played has not been good.

I remember when Rabea released his patches for QC, especially that one really good multi-scene one he used for his set with Stormzy....wasn't a Kraken capture to be found. Guy favors JVM and Soldano stuff, both of which sound waaaaaaaaaaaay better.

As unimpressed as I am with the "virtual devices" in this update , I'm happy for QC owners for any growth or progression for that platform.

Lord knows if they're still hanging around after all of the deception and radio silence......they deserve it.

Imo it's not a cheap amp and if you want watered down versions then you can give it a go. Much better options out there if that's what you are looking for.
I'll have to compare it against my Kraken V4 preamp + and power amps. That setup certainly does not disappoint in any way... Although, I would pick the Synergy stuff for sure as the keeper under duress; but that is just because some of the Syn stuff is beyond epic not because the Kraken is disappointing in any major way.

Sudden Kraken hate here post QC add, feels like when Fractal adds a new artist and the toobz4life crew on TGP responds with a chorus of "I never liked their tonez" or "their live sound sucks now, their first two albums are where it is at" kind of stuff. Well done, TGF.

Last edited:
The new Victory Kraken is suuper tight, and sounds good. Love the Focus option. And the new Matchless D30 and Chieftain also sounds really nice. we also got new cabs, but I liked the D30 one the best so far.

8 months.... haha

And yes the reverse dual delay is also nice sounding

Sudden Kraken hate here post QC add, feels like when Fractal adds a new artist and the toobz4life crew on TGP responds with a chorus of "I never liked their tonez" or "their live sound sucks now, their first two albums are where it is at" kind of stuff. Well done, TGF.
Ehhhh. i haven't thought about that amp for about 6 years, which is probably why I never expressed how crap it was before now. Sorry dad.

Speaking only for myself, I did qualify by saying I've never played one in real life. But I tried Neural's own factory Kraken captures with a ton of different cabs and always found the base tone to be thin and indistinct (I don't think theirs is a "Super Kraken" if that makes any difference). I even paid for the "official" Kemper Kraken profiles from the Victory Store way back in 2018 too. Same result. Just not for me.

Jon at Sonic Drive Studio managed to get some very good stuff from his Super Kraken, but I never gelled with any digital representation of the amp, including the exact one that Neural modeled in this very latest update. Kinda weird because I LOVE the Cornford Mk II (from the same amp designer) model in the Fractal firmware, but I dunno....

I give 'em props for adding Matchless amps and Matchless cabs too, tho!

Back