Neural DSP Nano Cortex

Honestly has me leaning more towards a QC. damn you Mbergini Damn you :facepalm

14jfeh.gif

Two ways to look at the Nano lack of effects:

"We haven't gotten around to adding other effects" = get ready for another several years of waiting for cross compatibility. That seems highly unlikely to me.

"Let me introduce you to our product tiers" = Kemper Player 2.0. I think this is far more likely.

Of course they could somehow do both, which isn't out of the realm of possibility for NDSP.

Two EXTREMELY NEGATIVE ways to look at the Nano lack of effects:

Or, simply, here's the 3 most common post FX that most folks can get by on with a Utility device.
Pretty wild how much extra control you get over them via the cloud to really fine tune them to your liking.

If you read the specs and don't dig that don't buy it.

So much better than wasting brain matter thinking up negative hypotheticals. ;)

Five hundred and forty nine dollars and 00 cents.
Boss CE-2, killer analog delay, and a versatile reverb.

On A side note: It's pretty funny seeing all of the music you folks listen to, and the very hard rock looking guitars you own,
and then how many of you be-moan the lack of spring reverbs on devices. :grin

Seriously, raise you hand if you spend more than 5% of your total playing time running a spring for ambience.

I'm AM NOT talking about you in any of this @Boudoir Guitar (y)

Two ways to look at the Nano lack of effects:

"We haven't gotten around to adding other effects" = get ready for another several years of waiting for cross compatibility. That seems highly unlikely to me.

"Let me introduce you to our product tiers" = Kemper Player 2.0. I think this is far more likely.

Of course they could somehow do both, which isn't out of the realm of possibility for NDSP.
I am sure they will add more mod delay and verbs in time
The fact that they have in the manual added in OS column

Also ,at the recent Guitar summit they were saying for now
That said I doubt it will be all that soon likely won’ t be updates till next year
I also don’t think it has the CPU to ever run something like a Freidman HBE or Kraken model from QC
I suspect captures and fx only from this guy

Last edited:
It's pretty funny seeing all of the music you folks listen to, and the very hard rock looking guitars you own,
and then how many of you be-moan the lack of spring reverbs on devices@Boudoir Guitar (y)
Yeah I agree... 90% of my patches on any modeller or amp sim is a noise gate --> boost --> amp --> cab --> optional delay --> optional reverb. It's kind of crazy they didnt make the transpose block interchangeable with a boost pedal block. Doesn't really matter though, I would just run a boosted capture... my boosts are always on.

I'm not grabbing a NC because I don't need it, but if I wanted/needed to enter any capture ecosystem I'd probably grab the NC.

The more I think about it... if I want to noodle around with tons of options and cook up some "extra" tones then that kind of thing is full modeller turf (helix, fm3, qc etc). But if I purely just want a rig in my pocket and can rock up to band practice/gigs and get going in two seconds with a top tier tone... the NC will easily get the job done.

Downloaded your top 5, and this one is (and I need to swear for emphasis) FUCKING :chef:chef:chef

View attachment 29819

Nice looking pup! (y)
Glad you like it! My later captures are much better than the first ones I made (the Revv, Mark IV, etc).

She is beautiful but a handful 🤣

And I personally really like my dual rec captures if that's your thing

Last edited:
man just going back through Cortex Cloud , its way better then when I had the QC the first time , It pretty easy to find any amp you could even want and also easy to find the users captures you want , kudos for those improvements

but seriously what kind of sick deprived monster makes captures of a Headrush "FRFR" :facepalm

So even though I'm not necessarily part of the target market for this, I actually don't think it is all that dumb. I can think of several scenarios where this would be a good option:

- People who have a stack of effects pedals they love already
- People who have pedal looper/switcher units that send midi to their pedalboard amplifier
- People who are tied into another multi-effect eco-system but who also want to use amp captures
- People who need to travel light
- People who need to practice in the green room before a show
- People who want a small option for home recording or practicing

Honestly, you could throw this onto a Pedaltrain Nano along with a few other pedals, and gig with it:

The fact it can flick through a bunch of captures and IR's seamlessly, with no gaps or latency... means controlling it from a midi controller at the same time as controlling one or more other pedals... that could be a seriously powerful thing.

The only thing I can think of that seems like it might suck, is no ability to send a the full tone to FOH, while sending a no-IR version to an on stage poweramp + guitar cab for moving air on stage.
Seems like it was born to be on the same board with an HX Effects. You can use the HX both as midi controller and in 4 cable configuration. You add an expression pedal and it's all you're ever going to need live.

Edit: technically not 4 cables, but you can have the hx both in front and after it.

SO F-ING COOL.

Held off hooking up Bluetooth on the Nano until just today. Purposely wanted to get to know the unit and all of the stock captures/IRs before jumping right online.

Onboard the unit you can select between 25 captures - 5 banks of 5 each.
Then via the cloud you can access the additional library slots inside.

I've been living on Bank 4 with either the #2 (normal high gain) or #4 (goosed HG) captures running.

Day 1 on the cloud:

- pair
- go to the cloud capture library. each listing has a tiny Nano icon next to it
- tap the icon
- capture uploads to the Nano
- option pops up "overwrite preset?"
- tap yes and choose which of the main 25 you want to replace

In literally 30 seconds my Bank 4 has a Mark IV red in slot #1, a Granophyre in #3, and one of Fluff's SLO 100 leads in #5.

Boom.
So can you load diff effects into it

So can you load diff effects into it

You get two stomps in front of the amp and three stomps after it.

noise gate > pitch detune > amp capture > chorus > delay > reverb

You can turn each on and off and edit them via the cloud or onboard with a mix knob.
That's it. That's all you get. Nothing more. Nada. Zilch.

And you should be happy about it since you only spent $549 to get a portable
Neural Capture unit that's also an audio interface, has 4 preset slots, 25 capture slots,
10 IRs, and full Bluetooth access to the Neural DSP cloud.

So it's a utility device that can also be used to jam as a basic rig in all sorts of ways.

But you knew all that already.

:hmm

Last edited:
OK, I got another question: how’s the headphones experience? On the QC it was really subpar for me (when I need to use headphones, I default to using my phone or iPad because it’s just better with NAM. YMMV). FM3 was awesome.

Last edited:
Back