Neural DSP Nano Cortex

HCAF was mostly pricks anyway. So he probably responded in kind. He doesn’t seem to have much patience for stupidity

Maybe, the way he conducted himself on that forum left a very bad taste in my mouth for a while and kept me away from his products beyond just the fact that they were modelers :LOL:

But that was a long time ago and I know longer gaf, water under bridge and axe III is all over my bands releases :LOL:

Maybe, the way he conducted himself on that forum left a very bad taste in my mouth for a while and kept me away from his products beyond just the fact that they were modelers :LOL:

But that was a long time ago and I know longer gaf, water under bridge and axe III is all over my bands releases :LOL:
Certainly personalities are loved by some, outright fucking hate-wanked by others.

<looks at self>
<remembers being a regular on thefretboard.co.uk>
<laughs>

Yeah, this is the often put forth logic. But personally, I don't really buy it, but I don't have any facts to back that up. It just feels wrong to me.

I'm sure QC must have some sort of analytics built in where they track what areas of the product people are using, and they'd probably have hard numbers about how often the capture tech is used.
My take is that the NC ought to be used to make captures *more* than the QC or even the big Kemper’s were, on average. (Talking end users here, capturing their own gear for their own use.) Partly because the QC offers enough other functionality to warrant its price, whereas the NC is arguably overpriced if you ignore the capturing feature; and partly because it’s so extremely portable, it’s that much easier to drag along to wherever the amps happen to live. I don’t make a lot of captures, personally, but if I did, I’d rather use an NC than a QC.

But there’s no telling who’s going to buy a product or how they’re going to use it. The NC has that NDSP polish (physically and sonically) that will cause some people to purchase even if it’s not the most practical or cost-effective solution for their use case. (I had to actively talk myself down from buying one LOL.)

Last edited:
Life’s too short to hold grudges.

And if I were to stay away from products and services due to my opinions of company owners, CEOs, etc., I’d probably be naked and

1727128328883.jpeg

I ordered the Nano. Ticks enuf boxes for me. I don't already have an investment in expensive modelling or capture solutions, just a collection of amps and a couple earlier amp sim pedals. I'm not a touring pro, just a studio composer and occasional small venue performance artist. Sure - I wish it was $100 bucks cheaper, but this will suffice and I don't think I'll be lusting after next month's even more ground breaking game changing ultimate perfect your-search-is-over box of perfect tone. I have no axes to grind regarding the company, just hope they aren't destroying the rain forests or donating millions to... the other candidate, whoever he is.
That’s cool. I am trying to decide if I need to try the Nano when I already have a Tonex. I am definitely curious but I am already somewhat invested in the Tonex platform and the sound is fine. I think the thing that would push me over the edge would be the ability to use the onboard effects with a small switcher on a simple nano sized pedalboard. Something like comp-dirt-Nano with a small switcher. Basically replacing the need for separate mod and delay pedals.

That’s cool. I am trying to decide if I need to try the Nano when I already have a Tonex. I am definitely curious but I am already somewhat invested in the Tonex platform and the sound is fine. I think the thing that would push me over the edge would be the ability to use the onboard effects with a small switcher on a simple nano sized pedalboard. Something like comp-dirt-Nano with a small switcher. Basically replacing the need for separate mod and delay pedals.
I'd been eyeballing the Tonex for a couple of years as well as the other Nam offerings and waiting for Tonocracy to go hardware but the onboard capture and simple effects pushed me over the edge for the Nano. Unless you really have the cash to blow and maybe want to use your Tonex for pedal captures, I'd think you've got all you need and with an external delay/reverb/mod pedal you have more readily available controls. I just want to capture some funky vintage concoctions I have that include an old DG Stomp, Twin Tube, Kitty Hawk Quattro, Ampeg Gemini VI and a Seymour Duncan 84-40 and see if they can be squeezed into a capture profile. Just have some fun and capture quick and dirty in an external pedal with basic effects and thus, the Nano fits the bill for me. We'll see if I regret it, but I think I would have regretted the Tonex more because I make my living on the computer and I'd rather my guitar toys be off the computer - except when recording of course. ☺️

Back to the Nano:

Using the DD200 and tap tempo switch I synced it a couple times to the repeats of the Nano and it's set at 426 ms give or take a few,
It loves both tubescreamers and the integrated pre but doesn't much care for the RC clean boost. It doesn't sound bad but it doesn't
sweeten the tone like it does with SS/tube gear.

Last edited:
KSR Vesta has been demoted. Having the Nano tilted helps with the tiny LEDs.
I should have my Nano on Thursday. I was wondering about those tiny LEDs - probably been better to have those larger and farther apart. It's like this modern design aesthetic where everything needs to be super tiny and light gray text against a slightly darker gray background.
Are those soft foot switches that are easy to operate by hand?

Also ditched the Talisman reverb.

Jammed a couple hours yesterday also using the delay in the Nano in place of the DD-200 and to be honest if not for having
the tap tempo footswitch with the DD probably would have ditched that too.
The Nano is ~426 ms and sounds sorta analog without any mod and then tape-ish with mod.
My standard default with the Boss is 420 ms and either digital, tape, or analog, with tape being 90% of the time so it would
have been an easy trade to save a cable and wall wart. I may still do it.

EQ right after anything in my room is a must. It's only 110 sq. ft. with a twin bed, office desk, bureau, and gear rack.
Even a single 1 x 12 ends up with issues.

20240924_095620.jpg

Hi pass is set about 200Hz and the Lo around 10-12K. Both shelves are off.
First band is isolated on the cab resonant frequency. This always needs a pretty good scoop because my room is basically one big bass trap.
Second is the ice-pick/glass breaking spot which only needs a little cut.
Third is used as a bit of presence boost with the KSR - which the Nano hasn't needed.
All 3 bands set for the tightest Q possible.

This pedal is so damn helpful with everything I've used right in front of it. Highest recommendation. (y)

Last edited:
I scored 7 excellent captures from the included 20 (not counting the 5 bass amps).
Have all running with the #4 IR which is far and away my favorite.

Was able to super easily edit the four onboard presets to have the #4 IR and one of the
7 amps. And all right on the unit.

View attachment 28995
That CA Studio 290 capture is a keeper. Probably my favorite of the stock high gain captures.

Can we talk about USB-C power? Like how does a device that requires 9v 600ma DC run on 5v USB supply? Does it consume less power in this mode? Can I run it off of my rechargeable power brick? Lots of jesting, yes. Thank you. 😊
I successfully tested mine with a 10k mAh Anker PD power bank, but I only ran it that way for 20 minutes or so with headphones.

Back