NDSP Quad Cortex

Tried the QC head to head vs. Tonocracy (mainly NAM captures). Comparing NAM vs. a capture of NAM (so not real amp), QC sounds a bit more bloated on the low end and brittle on the high end even after EQ, but close enough for rock n’ roll. NAM, though felt and sounded better all around. Both through same IR.

Then, I tried a few QC amp models and amp captures against similar NAM captures, and even though not apples to apples, the extra detail and better feel of NAM (and Tonocracy) was evident.

Just data. No judgement here lol. YMMV and of course QC offers much more.
I got another QC recently and while NAM is definitely better, with some of the lessons learned while shooting NAM profiles, helped me get pretty good QC captures. They lack some of the high-end detail / low-mid depending on the amp but they're pretty serviceable for gigging.

That's what I'm coming from, but I wanted a better cab. Upgraded from Katana Artist to an Orange 1x12 cab. Got a Rocker 15 tube amp and a Blackstar Amped 1 solid state, and I really prefer the latter over the actual tube amp to be honest. The cab sounds great. I can find those 1x12 cabs all day long for $300-350 mint. Just need a stereo amp (or I guess another Blackstar...)
Check.

Many ways to Rome..but to consider as one: IME having two slightly different setups for each side is rather a plus then a con.
Also, as soon as the low end is handled adequately by one cab, using something on the other side that might be a bit boxy on its own, works rather well. Low end travels so multidirectional, not much added to have that from stereo sources.

Regardless…stereo setup with guitar speakers is nice: “bath of sound” ;)

Check.

Many ways to Rome..but to consider as one: IME having two slightly different setups for each side is rather a plus then a con.
Also, as soon as the low end is handled adequately by one cab, using something on the other side that might be a bit boxy on its own, works rather well. Low end travels so multidirectional, not much added to have that from stereo sources.

Regardless…stereo setup with guitar speakers is nice: “bath of sound” ;)

Good call! I’d be interested in a different speaker on one side too like a greenback. Open back cab may be fun.

youre not wrong.gif

Imagine getting an email from NDSP right now when you're waiting for 3.0 and you open it and it's telling you Parallax X just dropped?

Imagine getting an email from NDSP right now when you're waiting for 3.0 and you open it and it's telling you Parallax X just dropped?

I chuckled when I first read this, then wondered if they even announce firmware via email? I only remember getting marketing emails for sales and new plugins. Of course, I've been out of the loop of direct communication from them for awhile...

I just Googled "parallax" to remind myself whether it was a person, a band, an amp, or a tropical fruit.

MqrjgL.gif

I chuckled when I first read this, then wondered if they even announce firmware via email? I only remember getting marketing emails for sales and new plugins. Of course, I've been out of the loop of direct communication from them for awhile...
I got email announcements when 1.3 and 1.3.2 were released. Presumably for 2.0 as well, though I can't seem to find it now...

Bummer it's a few weeks out still. But I'm still using my QC 80% of the time.

Still working on making captures. I'll upload some later on to the cloud. Really happy with how they are turning out.

Here's what I have at this point:

Friedman IR-X (both channels)
Friedman Smallbox OD
MXR Sugar Drive (Klon)
MXR Dynamic Overdrive (OCD)
MXR CMBOD (modded SD-1)
MXR EVH 5150 OD
Jackson Audio Golden Boy (modded Bluesbreaker)

Would love to have a few more drives to capture. Really want to get a Duke of Tone, Nobels ODR-1, Big Muff Op Amp, and Tumnus.

Back