NDSP Quad Cortex

Good tone, but a little tip. The more tracks you add, the less gain you need. So if you double track, your gain levels are probably fine. For quad tracking, you can and probably should dial it back a little. It will help with the overall tightness and impact. With too much gain the combination of four tracks gets a bit too smeary and your riffs lose some balls.

Thanks! I just used a preset, as my room has no sound treatment or anything. It’s very difficult to dial a good tone in that environment, unfortunately, so I just went with whatever I thought sounded good in my room.

Wendy's is coming to Ireland in '25. Looking forward to trying it.

It's probably garbage but I'll try it once.

Best burgers in Ireland come from the Burger Cartel who operate out of a trailer in the Herbert Park food market.

trailer-park.gif

Yeah, my favorite current prog/tech/death metal band - The Zenith Passage - is using QCs and NDSP plugins as well. I don't doubt the roadworthiness of the units, despite some less-than-favorable rumblings on the power supply and reliability. People ARE making them work for professional use.

The size/form factor is great. I found myself longing for it this weekend when I had to do some gigging/recording in a tight space.

That being said, once I got my FM9 actually set up, its versaility and footswitching capability proved indispensable. I basically did an entire set of guitar-synth sounds (it's an 80s-leaning project), ambient cleans, modern fusion-y leads and straight up roaring Plexi rhythms (oh, and I recorded several different bass tones too) using nothing but factory patches. It chewed up everything I threw at it.

Feel like QC isn't quite there in offering such a palette, but the once the generic version of Rabea's synth is added along with much better delays and reverb....I'll have to take another look.

Yeah, my favorite current prog/tech/death metal band - The Zenith Passage - is using QCs and NDSP plugins as well. I don't doubt the roadworthiness of the units, despite some less-than-favorable rumblings on the power supply and reliability. People ARE making them work for professional use.
Yeah, step one: get a Ciocks. Problem solved.

Well, normally step one is cutting a hole in the box, but here it'll have to be Ciocks.

Yeah, step one: get a Ciocks. Problem solved.

Well, normally step one is cutting a hole in the box, but here it'll have to be Ciocks.

Are you referring to the $70 Cioks power converter + $250 Cioks DC7 combo? If I already had that for a pedalboard, I wouldn't bat an eye, but I don't (really dislike modular solutions). Can't see myself ever dropping that in add-ons for a $1700 piece of hardware.

Are you referring to the $70 Cioks power converter + $250 Cioks DC7 combo? If I already had that for a pedalboard, I wouldn't bat an eye, but I don't (really dislike modular solutions). Can't see myself ever dropping that in add-ons for a $1700 piece of hardware.
Or this.

I mean yeah, it's another $200+ on top of the $1700. But if you want to fix the problem, there it is.

IMG_1147.gif

This will surprise no one here, but there appears to be a wee bit of discrepancy between the press release of the TINA robot and subsequent disclosures from NDSP.

From the July TINA press release, Doug Castro says:

"We’ve successfully removed all human intervention within the amplifier modeling process – ensuring an unparalleled level of precision in every model by capturing every subtle detail in the amplifier's controls.”

From an article from Guitar World today about how they'd like to model a Dumble someday, Doug Castro also says:

“Until we’ve tried it, it's hard to say,” he explains, “Sometimes these models, you put it in the robot, and 24 hours later you have a model that everybody's like, ‘Yeah, that's it.’ “More often than not, you do have some iteration, where some designers give feedback to the machine learning guys, and they need to tweak things and try again. It really depends a lot on the amplifier.

Devil's advocate, I don't see that as a contradiction. The robot is there to turn knobs and capture data, which is done without a human. And yes the machine learning algorithms would be done without human intervention. But you still need people to validate the results, and probably to set some parameters up front. Maybe they need to add some more complexities in the models or the capture wasn't setup properly.

But you still need people to validate the results, and probably to set some parameters up front. Maybe they need to add some more complexities in the models or the capture wasn't setup properly.
It honestly doesn't matter, just stating that first lol

But when you say

"We’ve successfully removed all human intervention within the amplifier modeling process – ensuring an unparalleled level of precision in every model by capturing every subtle detail in the amplifier's controls."

But then say

"More often than not, you do have some iteration, where some designers give feedback to the machine learning guys, and they need to tweak things and try again."

That does contradict removing human intervention because humans are still very much part of the process by the sounds of it. Again, I really don't care and by now you should know neural is going to try and make anything they do sound innovative and advanced. Which in some aspects they have pushed the envelope (albeit many here disagree).

Back