NDSP Quad Cortex

OK, so I'm finally getting around to updating to 3.0, and having never owned any NDSP plugins... I could use some advice as to which to select as my freebie.

Neither "Plini" nor "Gojira" are references that mean much to me, and I'm not all that motivated by the amp models considering how many models and captures are already available. (But please convince me if either of these plugins' amps have something unique to offer.) The effects overlap somewhat and also overlap with the new native doubler and transpose (which is a good thing: NDSP keeping to their recently stated position on QC vs. plugin content.)

Some of the not-yet-compatible plugins are also tempting. I want the MkIIc+ suite because MkIIc+, obviously. And I'm tempted by Rabea because synth... even if it is monophonic. People have been talking up the reverbs in Morgan and Tone King... but neither are described as being springs, oddly enough. (Both say, "The Reverb covers everything from subtle ambience to almost infinite soundscapes", whatever that means.)

Sorry, I know this has been discussed to death for the last 500 pages or so, but I'm just tuning in now. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
what kinds of tones do you like, or don’t feel are well covered with what you have?

OK, so I'm finally getting around to updating to 3.0, and having never owned any NDSP plugins... I could use some advice as to which to select as my freebie.

Neither "Plini" nor "Gojira" are references that mean much to me, and I'm not all that motivated by the amp models considering how many models and captures are already available. (But please convince me if either of these plugins' amps have something unique to offer.) The effects overlap somewhat and also overlap with the new native doubler and transpose (which is a good thing: NDSP keeping to their recently stated position on QC vs. plugin content.)

Some of the not-yet-compatible plugins are also tempting. I want the MkIIc+ suite because MkIIc+, obviously. And I'm tempted by Rabea because synth... even if it is monophonic. People have been talking up the reverbs in Morgan and Tone King... but neither are described as being springs, oddly enough. (Both say, "The Reverb covers everything from subtle ambience to almost infinite soundscapes", whatever that means.)

Sorry, I know this has been discussed to death for the last 500 pages or so, but I'm just tuning in now. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
JP IIC+ would be an instant selection for me. But the rest would be a tough call!

I think it depends if you intend to use the plugin or not.

As a plugin, things like Plini or Nolly are super versatile. Henson has the multi voicer and Rabea has the synth. For heavy stuff everyone really likes Gojira. Or you could go left field and get something like Parallax which likely wouldn't get modeled outside the plugin.

Plini vs Gojira
bad bitch GIF
wizard of oz GIF

JP IIC+ would be an instant selection for me. But the rest would be a tough call!
What's weird about this whole thing is that we already have a QC JPIIc+ model, and then NDSP has a JP Plugin Suite that doesn't have JP2c+ amp model, but rather a plug-in specific amp model that probably sounds quite like a JPIIc+ but for some reason looks like a kitchen appliance. All in an effort to sound like a MkIIc+... which you can buy in a different, cheaper plugin package?

what kinds of tones do you like, or don’t feel are well covered with what you have?
@mbenigni - what are your favorite amps, effects, musical artists, etc.?
Mostly older metal... mid-70's Sabbath, late 80's Queensryche, that kind of thing. Honestly, I don't have any issue getting amp tones I like, and I'm not a huge effects guy. Hence my confusion, maybe. :D I would like a much better spring reverb, and was hoping Morgan or Tone King might feature one, but I can't really tell from the ad copy (and I don't want to start downloading and auditioning all of these plugins if I can help it. Too time consuming.)

My NDSP expereinces are a bit old so I never tried a lot of the newer ones.
Think Petrucci may have been the first big one I missed out on.

That said, this is the greatest thing Neural has ever done and will ever do.
Full stop.

maxresdefault.jpg
Very true. The Grano plug is amazing. You can also check my caps of the real amp out if ya nasty. Mongillo19 is the username as well.

Mostly older metal... mid-70's Sabbath, late 80's Queensryche, that kind of thing. Honestly, I don't have any issue getting amp tones I like, and I'm not a huge effects guy.
I’d say maybe consider Asato or Henson. Asato has a great space echo style delay, the Shiva is one of the better models of that amp and there’s some nicer lighter stuff. Henson has a killer 2204 that’ll do those late 70’s/80’s tones. The Matchless in that one is great too.

If you want something heavier, Nameless is an awesome jose modded Marshall. It excels for really high gain but it can do way softer stuff too when using the low input and disengaging the diode clipping.

I find Gojira GREAT but IMO EVH amps are a bit vanilla when it comes to high gain. I prefer its pitch/octave/RAT fx to Plini though.

For plugins choices

I kind of feel like the Petrucci would have the best delays and effects, based on his needs , it sounds good and it will be going to X sooner rather than later .

I feel like they are currently working on a synth also like Rabea's based on the leak in the Sweetwater vid, so that might be in the next big update .

if they are correct in saying there will be a bug fix release and that will also add SoldanoX and Nameless, it sounds like that is weeks away not months .

Next up in the Fall would be Nolly , I think Nolly is a great all rounder . with 4 new cabs , New Drive, New EQ.

Morgan and Toneking are cool and have a nice verb , but I won't be surprised to see more verbs added before those are available on QC

Even with TINA, I would say getting the plugins into the QC that's likely the roadmap till the end of 2024

SOLDANO
NAMELESS
PARRALAX
NOLLY
WONG
PETRUCCI

Last edited:
I wonder if the complexity of the Henson multivoicer and Rabea synth may push those to the end of the chain.

I’d say maybe consider Asato or Henson. Asato has a great space echo style delay, the Shiva is one of the better models of that amp and there’s some nicer lighter stuff. Henson has a killer 2204 that’ll do those late 70’s/80’s tones. The Matchless in that one is great too.

If you want something heavier, Nameless is an awesome jose modded Marshall. It excels for really high gain but it can do way softer stuff too when using the low input and disengaging the diode clipping.

I find Gojira GREAT but IMO EVH amps are a bit vanilla when it comes to high gain. I prefer its pitch/octave/RAT fx to Plini though.
This is helpful information. 2204 and the Jose Mod are attractive, as is a Space Echo... Of course after a bit of soul-searching, I realize I'm going to wind up grabbing one of the two that are already compatible. Instant gratification is hard to resist at $0.00. :D (And SOON is altogether too elastic...)

After watching a couple of videos, I'm actually leaning toward Gojira. The most impressive thing I'm hearing in these demos are the Transpose and Doubler blocks, which are native to QC now anyway. :idk

Gotta say, plugin selection and activation (on both QC and PC) were completely seamless and incredibly fast. (y)

It would be cool if NDSP could make all of the plugin blocks on QC active with an n minute countdown or something. That way you could audition blocks to decide what you might want to buy, without needing to download and install on PC/Mac first.

Last edited:
Back