NDSP Quad Cortex

Gapless switching especially for the FM3 guys was huge and I would use the term game changer there perhaps
You can now run 4 different amps , 4 different drive
4 different mod effects etc etc
In one preset , I don’t think one of the other products available allows 4 amp models gap free in the same preset
But only 1 amp at the time?
QC can do 4 amps in 1 preset on 4 lanes at the same time. Even tho I only do max 2 ( maybe 3 if I play bass stuff ) when playing guitar

I don’t mean to keep sounding negative, but I think the QC is now the only major device that doesn’t have gapless switching :unsure:

That was one of the things I considered when I was recently thinking about which modeler to get

I don’t mean to keep sounding negative, but I think the QC is now the only major device that doesn’t have gapless switching :unsure:

That was one of the things I considered when I was recently thinking about which modeler to get
Helix can only do it if you sacrifice half the processing power for it.

Afaik the QC uses a similar DSP to the Fractal FM9 so I would like to see NDSP implement gapless switching of presets.

Afaik the QC uses a similar DSP to the Fractal FM9 so I would like to see NDSP implement gapless switching of presets.

Yeah, but it is an option on Helix.

It would be nice to see that on the QC

The different units have different pros and cons. I like the ability to stuff more things into a single preset and switch via scenes/snapshots over gapless preset switching myself. I also like that you can run dual amps with tons of other effects on the QC. But I also have an Axe 3 that can do that so it's not much of a concern.

Just rebuilding a Plini based preset this morning to make a versatile all arounder. Running into my SS power amp and Orange cab.

The crunch amp really does do a really nice clean-ish tone. The clean amp is more pristine clean but the crunch is quite versatile.

It's interesting to see how little the compressor does for gain reduction. That's why it's nice to have meters. I should probably use my ears but it's tricky when you don't know how it kicks in.

Also the spatial chorus doesn't have any effect in mono, which is also a bit interesting. Nice to have the vintage option onboard for that.

They would likely need a moar vulgar display of power
Because if they follow helix method you will lose at least a substantial chunk of CPU

QC can do 4 amps in 1 preset on 4 lanes at the same time. Even tho I only do max 2 ( maybe 3 if I play bass stuff ) when playing guitar
Yes one amp but you can change 4 of them in a preset without drop outs
To me I have the FM9 and rarely if ever use 2 amp blocks simultaneously to me I can get great sounds with one amp , in a studio I would layer perhaps but I am not hell bent on reproducing a multi layered compressed recording live , that’s why I also hate reverb on live tones

IMO swapping between 4 amps (or 4 anything really!) is far more useful functionality than multiple amps in parallel. If you run multiple instruments into the same box then I can see wanting that.

IMO swapping between 4 amps (or 4 anything really!) is far more useful functionality than multiple amps in parallel. If you run multiple instruments into the same box then I can see wanting that.
Everything has a use case but even that switching out 4 amps in a track I would not likely do
I remember this quote from Micheal Britt the guitarist from lonestar in an interview about amps and Kempers and his quote sticks with me
It was basically “just because you can do it doesn’t mean you should “

And he was talking about the ability with modern tools to be able to cram everything into a preset
For instance if you started a song
With a Fender Twin , then switched at bridge to JCM800 , then did the chorus with a Mesa , started the second verse with an AC30

He basically said that our ears cannot adjust to those type of things and constant changing tones , the audience would hear it as “jarring and wrong and unpleasant

Everything has a use case but even that switching out 4 amps in a track I would not likely do
I remember this quote from Micheal Britt the guitarist from lonestar in an interview about amps and Kempers and his quote sticks with me

And he was talking about the ability with modern tools to be able to cram everything into a preset
With a Fender Twin , then switched at bridge to JCM800 , then did the chorus with a Mesa , started the second verse with an AC30

He basically said that our ears cannot adjust to those type of things and constant changing tones , the audience would hear it as “jarring and wrong and unpleasant

On Fractal I think of the amp block like a 4 channel amp, but I get to pick exactly what each of the 4 channels is. And I have gapless switching between the channels.

It’s great to be able to do things like have a 4 channel Mark IV where I can actually dial in Rhythm 2 to sound good!

It can sound jarring if you do it wrong, but I do it all the time and get nothing but compliments on the tones. The key for me is pick one single cab + mics and stick with it for all amps. Just like if you had multiple heads plugged into the same cab

Last edited:
My QC arrived yesterday, but I didn't have time to try it out until this afternoon. Perhaps it‘s just because I‘m tired and exhausted from work, but no matter what presets, amp models and effects I've tried so far, I haven't exactly been blown away.

On Fractal I think of the amp block like a 4 channel amp, but I get to pick exactly what each of the 4 channels is. And I have gapless switching between the channels.

It’s great to be able to do things like have a 4 channel Mark IV where I can actually dial in Rhythm 2 to sound good!
Exactly that really cool ,that you could build somthing like a Bogner XTC with say Shiva clean , Blue channel and red channels like the real amp and switch by scenes

I truly think that channels as soon as gapless was introduced was a game changer
I have no idea how they fit that in the FM3 It’s obviously some sort of cross fading
I think it started on the Fractal Forum with one guy who pretty much wrote a 60 page essay on it , doing tests showing which blocks could be seamless which were not
And I think Cliff just went hmm 🤔 I wonder if I did this

So I think we owe that guy a debt of gratitude but to get it to the FM3 was amazing
Cliff easily could have said FM3 not enough power and held it back to the next Gen features as probably many other companies may have

That was a "game changer" for my current needs.
Dont You Dare The Office GIF by hero0fwar

My QC arrived yesterday, but I didn't have time to try it out until this afternoon. Perhaps it‘s just because I‘m tired and exhausted from work, but no matter what presets, amp models and effects I've tried so far, I haven't exactly been blown away.
Just make your own preset
Freidman lead
Marshall 1960 GB 71 cab
Mics 160 and 421 pretty much stock setting
808 in front
For delay I would recommend the dual delay
Verbs the plates tight or lush

If your a rock guy
Krakens too either of those channels

Cleans , Paul from studio rats 🐀 got killer Morgan SW( dumble) tones with his Tele Captain 50 I think it’s called

Last edited:
You'll probably like some of the Neural Captures; there a lot of good ones on the Cortex Cloud.

Just make your own preset
Freidman lead
Marshall 1960 GB 71 cab
Mics 160 and 421 pretty much stock setting
808 in front
For delay I would recommend the dual delay
Verbs the plates tight or lush
The JP2C amp is juicy too

I just like the possibility and workflow of "4 different models or settings for almost any block" much better than the "put in every block you need and try to figure out which is which and how to make them fit. Doesn't mean I always use 4 different ones for every one of them.

By comparison I find it much more difficult to manage multiple amps in parallel and above all, to make that setup sound better than one amp on its own.

Most high gain amps have a Fender Blackface based clean channel, effectively making them a Twin with different speakers. Then your main overdrive sound could be a Marshall based one, and your lead is adding further gain stages (from pedals or else) so the Fender -> Marshall -> Mesa scenario is not totally unreasonable.

I would agree if you are also changing the cab sims for all of them, if those are different enough it can be jarring if it's not a clean -> overdrive change that is already a big change in sound. But if you have say a clean cab sim and an overdrive cab sim it's not much of a problem. Or using a real single cab.

Back