NDSP Quad Cortex

The problem is unfortunately if you read their FB there are some fools that cannot follow update instructions
Same thing happened to Line6 a few years back when they released their new HX engine update , bricked units everywhere

You have to also think how many of these they sell if you read about 5 or 6 bricked units it’s not that large or widespread, I would say
Line6 w the LT expression pedal issues were more common

It’s unbelievable how many people on FB assumed all plugins were compatible even though they’ve specifically talked about only two for months.

It’s unbelievable how many people on FB assumed all plugins were compatible even though they’ve specifically talked about only two for months.
its really bad there is a lot of anger right now because of that , and people feel ripped off and that their unit is crap and saying NDSP screwed us and we got nothing , I am like what ?? you didn't pay for any plug ins , even from day one they have never said our entire plugin library will be free to Quad cortex owners, and why should it be , I think the fact they gave everyone a free plugin to check it out was very cool of them

I snagged a Sweetwater demo (saving 15%) a couple months back. Zero issues for what it's worth. I think a couple others here did the same. You have to be quick though. They don't last at that price.
I did the EXACT same thing. The one I bought was up for maybe 45 min and I got it immediately !

The Plini crunch amp is a better clean amp than the Plini clean amp. I can't decide whether these amps are generally better than the QC ones or is it just they're new.

Could be the cabs are better not the amp. I'll run a stock amp through Plini cab later.

Could be the cabs are better not the amp. I'll run a stock amp through Plini cab later.
it does seem like the plugin cabs have either been resampled/deconvolved/eq’d very slightly differently:

1722684579531.jpeg

IIRC I wasn't a fan of QCs cabs. I always just slapped an IR in
I never really played around too much I found one combo that sounded great when I had it
I used the “Bob Rock”
M160 and MD421 in pretty much the stock settings w the Friedman HBE and it was awesome
Cab was one of Nollys Marshall or Zilla I think

IIRC I wasn't a fan of QCs cabs. I always just slapped an IR in
Some are meh but there are a few I really like now that I've started to use the Cab block more when playing loud:
- 412 Brit 60B GB 90s
- 412 Bogna Uber V30 00s
- 412 Range PPC V30 03
- 412 Watt S4123

Seems every modeler has good and bad when it comes to their stock cabs.

And there are some cabs that just don’t seem to translate well to digital for some reason. They sound great in real life, but not so good in digital

So if I have this right .... the TINA process Captures a large number of static Captures across a large range of interrelated Amp Control setting movements - say X - and then the ML process interpolates between them to best estimate the Amp controls in all the in-between non Captured positions across all knobs and all knob interactions to get from X to the fully captured full amp settings and full interrelated settings ... all done with zero human tweaking, refining, subjective ear-fixing etc....

Do I understand this right (?)

Ben
Maybe it shouldn’t bother me, but it’s weird that this (TINA) is a really complex way of saying “this thing does this”, instead of Fractal and Line 6’s way of saying “this is why and how it does this”.

Which is which? Blue=plugin?
Red is the original plugin one, I think they had to lower the resolution when doing things for the QC.

My buddy brought his QC round today, at similar settings the Gojira Red channel sounds a bit different to the stock EL34 100W amp but I think all the same tones are in there, you just need to tweak things a bit. When dialling stuff in by ear both sounded cool to me.

Overall it was the most “ehh” i’ve felt about the QC in general, I think overall it’s all solid enough and does what you’d want. Nothing really seemed bad but it just makes me realise how much more superior working with plugins is for what I like.

One thing I did notice though - when you set the amps MV to 10, do they sound as shit as a real amp would? I know for a lot of people this wouldn’t be desirable, but it’s a bit of a “blue M&M’s” test for me regarding the levels of accuracy. The 5150’s for instance didn’t sound as bad as a real amp would in that state but I didn’t A/B this time so it could be in my head. I do get the impression a lot of the amps are modelled with reactive loads and it makes the behaviour of presence/depth/MV a bit more hit and miss. Sometimes where those frequencies live and the ranges available work better than others.

And my other point, the MV relationship with overall volume (I’m guessing) reflects real world levels. And for a modeller, IMO, it’s not very useful as low MV settings can sound great but then I have to max out the output knob to get it roughly loud enough. Either the output knob needs more range, or the MV controls should have some volume compensation applied.

I didn't get any email but the moment I logged into the NDSP page I saw the green icon light up. Happy days. Gonna keep onto mine until something new hits.
The gift offer expires at end August. I don’t think you have the option to wait on a new product.

The gift offer expires at end August. I don’t think you have the option to wait on a new product.
You can only claim it (log into the QC with your NDSP account for the plugin gift to show up) by the end of August but you can choose a plugin at a later date.

We’re proud to introduce Plugin Compatibility to the Quad Cortex, marking the first time a modeling company has effectively integrated the worlds of native software and embedded hardware.
Neural has made some crazy moves and whackaloon claims since the QC but holy hell this one takes the cake. They’re aren’t even to where Bias is as in this subject back in 2016. Nevermind anywhere near the same universe compared to the helix on plug-in vs hardware mirroring. Absolutely crazy. I know we keep giving them chances and they’ve come a long way but holy hell man. This is a whopper

Back