NAD: It’s not a Marshall for once

MirrorProfiles

Shredder
But it basically is. Park was a brand Marshall used to try and get out of a shitty distribution deal. They’d also use the brand to test the waters on certain circuits. This is the 1210 Rock Head.

Been curious about these for years, it’s one of the late 70’s amps where Marshall were trying to get a grip on footswitchable channels, more gain, more effective master volume. Steve Grindrod (Marshall’s amp designer from that period, designed lots of the classic circuits like 2203) said this was his favourite circuit and Marshall should have sold this one. It has cascaded gain channels (each with its own pot), low input bypasses the first stage. Plate driven tone stack, PPIMV. It shares some similarities with the 2150 circuit, but is way gainier and bigger sounding. It’s actually more gainy and squishy than I was expecting. Possibly the biggest low end I’ve heard from a marshall and it feels amazing to play. Think i’ll take it in for a once over from Marshall but it mostly just seems that the preamp valves need replacing. V2 especially seems very sensitive to noise. Its voiced differently to what I was expecting, its deeper and thicker and more open sounding.

Mitch Colby has done some versions of these unde the current Park brand but the circuit is tweaked somewhat - not sure if it’s just the demos online but this feels way more “hot rodded 800” than plexi sounding.

Clips to come, but here it is:

IMG_6022.jpeg

IMG_6023.jpeg

back panel is interesting, the faceplate has a spot for a reverb footswitch that wasn't drilled out. I've owned a Marshall JMP2144 before which was a 2x12 version of a Park 1x12 combo, that was somewhere close to a 2204 with plate driven EQ and spring reverb. I wonder if this had some (abandoned) plans for reverb, or whether they just had a pile of unused faceplates going spare. These faceplates would have been too big for the combos and I'm not sure of too many Marshalls from that era having footswitchable reverb.

Last edited:
But it basically is. Park was a brand Marshall used to try and get out of a shitty distribution deal. They’d also use the brand to test the waters on certain circuits. This is the 1210 Rock Head.

Been curious about these for years, it’s one of the late 70’s amps where Marshall were trying to get a grip on footswitchable channels, more gain, more effective master volume. Steve Grindrod (Marshall’s amp designer from that period, designed lots of the classic circuits like 2203) said this was his favourite circuit and Marshall should have sold this one. It has cascaded gain channels (each with its own pot), low input bypasses the first stage. Plate driven tone stack, PPIMV. It shares some similarities with the 2150 circuit, but is way gainier and bigger sounding. It’s actually more gainy and squishy than I was expecting. Possibly the biggest low end I’ve heard from a marshall and it feels amazing to play. Think i’ll take it in for a once over from Marshall but it mostly just seems that the preamp valves need replacing. V2 especially seems very sensitive to noise. Its voiced differently to what I was expecting, its deeper and thicker and more open sounding.

Mitch Colby has done some versions of these unde the current Park brand but the circuit is tweaked somewhat - not sure if it’s just the demos online but this feels way more “hot rodded 800” than plexi sounding.

Clips to come, but here it is:

View attachment 17343

View attachment 17342

back panel is interesting, the faceplate has a spot for a reverb footswitch that wasn't drilled out. I've owned a Marshall JMP2144 before which was a 2x12 version of a Park 1x12 combo, that was somewhere close to a 2204 with plate driven EQ and spring reverb. I wonder if this had some (abandoned) plans for reverb, or whether they just had a pile of unused faceplates going spare. These faceplates would have been too big for the combos and I'm not sure of too many Marshalls from that era having footswitchable reverb.
One of my favourite models in the Helix!

I’m down with some Park.
Humble Pie, “I Don’t Need No Doctor”..comes to fingers…
-I had one of Mitch’s Time Machine amps also.
It was interesting.
Park’s are loud AF,
-really need a full stack with the car in Park.
LOL🤪

Wondering how it'd sound with the gain(s) rolled way back, and that Level CRANKED?
I only quickly tried the low input with the master cranked. Low input is basically the normal channel, the first gain stage (which gets bypassed) is definitely the brighter one.

It’ll do a sort of Super Lead thing like that, but the tone stack is very different. Plate driven means if all tone controls are at 0, no signal passes through at all. The bass control seems to represent a big chunk of the signal and the others just fill in the rest. I’ll do more clips when I have a bit of time to blast it

I only quickly tried the low input with the master cranked. Low input is basically the normal channel, the first gain stage (which gets bypassed) is definitely the brighter one.

It’ll do a sort of Super Lead thing like that, but the tone stack is very different. Plate driven means if all tone controls are at 0, no signal passes through at all. The bass control seems to represent a big chunk of the signal and the others just fill in the rest. I’ll do more clips when I have a bit of time to blast it
I don’t doubt your tweaking skills, but I’d be surprised to hear anything approaching a Superlead out of that amp. Some Superbass tones might be possible but that initial recording you posted reminded me more of a modded JTM45 or even bassman.

It’s a cool sound, kind of marching to the beat of its own drum.

A few random Park odds and ends I found from scouring the web.

These late 70’s cabs with cream handles and corners seem pretty rare. I think Mitch Colby sold the Park name on to the company that owns WEM and Hiwatt. Looks like they’re making some of the amps the same way as Mitch (albeit I’m not sure if they’re using the same transformers and NOS parts he was).

I think that also may mean they’re being made in the UK again. They’re also making cabs, which look like they’re based on some of the more experimental ones Marshall made but I’m curious how faithful they are. Quite amusing that they’re website mentions Jim Marshall designing amps, I don’t think he even went near a soldering iron and while he deserves credit as a businessman the circuits probably should be credited to Dudley Craven, Ken Bran, Steve Grindrod etc

Maybe someone can reach out to “BRITAMPCO” and see if they have a rep who’d like to post here?

Attachments

• IMG_6060.jpeg
    IMG_6060.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6057.jpeg
    IMG_6057.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6056.jpeg
    IMG_6056.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6059.jpeg
    IMG_6059.jpeg