NAD: Where is gain?

well maybe amp is broken? I don't get where that super high gain thing comes from. Then maybe I'm mixing gain and compression (I was violated by ENGL).
Yes I think it's a Great Green.
Well that answers your question.
The Gain is located in the ENGL.

-we talkin’ “Get the Gimp” violated?
The Gimp from Pulp Fiction in the leather facemask + S&D fatigues,btw.

I checked bias and upped it from 88 to 120 and replaced v4-6 with rt003 from TAD. I'm happy now. Def no decision till morning.

DAMN Red squeals now too. My poor ears

Another surprise - I've read many times stealth not worth it - too similar to regular. My amps are way too different, it's like they have different core midrange. I mean even if my Stealth is faulty it sounds delicious now anyway 🤷‍♂️

1705360062197.gif

@chicken what country are you in? If you’re in the UK, you might need to swap the transformer wiring to 240V. EVH’s all arrive in europe wired for 220V. They work ok like that, but they sound much better when they’re getting the right voltages. Basically all the ones in the UK are working too hard because Fender CBA to flip the voltages over. Same goes for Fender amps (like hot rod deluxe) which is why so many get fried.

Germany, TBH I have to go and sleep. everything sounds the same now lol. I tried Mercuriall model but I can't figure out the input gain. I'm using helix asio. With certain input gain it sounds really really close to real amp. But I don't if it's the right one.

So... I'm here paying for my ignorance. Looks like I shouldn't be comparing White 50w with 100w Stealth at all since 100w is different from 50w. Also that thing with Blue channel gain influencing Red gain.

Germany, TBH I have to go and sleep. everything sounds the same now lol. I tried Mercuriall model but I can't figure out the input gain. I'm using helix asio. With certain input gain it sounds really really close to real amp. But I don't if it's the right one.
4.1 would be the “correct” input gain for Mercuriall when using a Helix as a DI.

and yep, the 50W EVH will be closer to the Stealth than the 100W. They constantly tweaked and updated each amp as they went along. The 100W was first so in the least “evolved” of the circuits.

Thanks!!! Now they are really really close. The difference is probably tolerances and unknown impedance curve they use. What it took me to make Red Gain on EVH 100w Stealth (seo friendly version ;-)) right - new tubes, 120 mv bias and cranked Blue Gain. Can you imaging the horror - I plugged in and went straight to dead Red because factory is 0 gain on Blue.
The experiment isn't clear because I changed phase inverter to tested balanced tube, just in case while I'm at it.

Back