NAD: Where is gain?

chicken

Groupie
So I went on the Internet and bought this:

wheregain.png

Where all the gain? I've read so much so many about unplayable red, etc etc. I'm not sure it is that different to 5153 50w White I have (I'm going to sell that one). Is it a broken amp?

Like my 570 preamp has gain yeah. But this one not that much.

PS. Green/Clean is beautiful tho.

PPS. I turned knobs away from factory positions before/while playing ;-)

UPDATE: Gain is here. Blue Gain knob affects Red Gain knob. Also increased bias voltage and changed tubes. Just in case 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
So, 5153 50w definitely goes. On red gain past 11 and it squeals. Stealth is ok on 2:30 and stays articulate doing 200bpm 16th runs. I'm happy.

Squeal guess: 50watters are too small for the gain they have.

Took 100w for extra presence/resonance control and extra tube warmth. It is huuuuuuuuge. Kid asked how many normal amps fit in the outer box Thomann shipped it in, lol.

RE: difference with 50w White. 100 Stealth has more of everything and doesn't sound brittle(wtf?? never thought I'd call 5153 50w thin or brittle, but here I am). I tried matching pots positions and then using ears. Love love love stealth.

Cat Love GIF by NGcorpvtc

Doesn't the red channel gain setting effect the tone/gain of the blue channel for the 100w stealth?

I could be absolutely wrong

Are you being serious?

You're saying the 5150 III Stealth has "no gain" and that its Green/Clean channel is "beautiful?"

well maybe amp is broken? I don't get where that super high gain thing comes from. Then maybe I'm mixing gain and compression (I was violated by ENGL).
Yes I think it's a Great Green.

Speaking of Green Clean - boosted with SD-1w with Mesa OH IR gives me Cradle of Filth vibes. Like that.

No I'm now seriously considering a hardware fault.

You got a faulty amp. Has to be. I did a ton of reading on both the 50 and 100 in anticipation of buying one and decided
against it because the #1 thing that kept coming up with both of them was too much gain and immediately wanting to try
different tubes in V1 to tame it a little.

You got a faulty amp. Has to be. I did a ton of reading on both the 50 and 100 in anticipation of buying one and decided
against it because the #1 thing that kept coming up with both of them was too much gain and immediately wanting to try
different tubes in V1 to tame it a little.
unfortunately :-( I was not sure really, because I've read about jvm410 for example where everybody complains too much gain so I was prepared it will actually be not modern overtight but gain-gain with much less flabby bass than say my roadking. And owning 5153 50w White I also kinda know the DNA. M non-stealth 50w has more gain on red than this 100w stealth. The amp smells new and otherwise looks virgin (I waited for almost two months to get it) and it's unlikely it's a return and somebody forgot their 12AU7 here.

UPD I have an amp switch so comparing amps is easy. sequentially compared Green, Blue, Red. Green Blue are indeed more gainy in Stealth. Red in my Stealth is just a little more hairy than Stealth Blue. While Red on 50 non-Stealth with the Gain in the same position already starts to compress.
I have to decide now if I want to mess with tubes or just send it back.
Will also check bias, because everything is kinda dark

Last edited:
Back