Mini Amps - anyone tried any of them?

I'm a massive fan of the Yamaha THR10 series amps; owned the standard THR10 in the past but I'm using the THR10X now.

It's not just my favorite practice amp; it's also one of my favorite amps period. Hell I've even played live gigs with it lined out in to my Fryette Powerstation

Here's a couple lil test clips I did with it direct to pc:

Rock:

Metal :

These clips are great :love Have we talked about the THR100? I played that at GC a little while ago and that thing was AWESOME.

These clips are great :love Have we talked about the THR100? I played that at GC a little while ago and that thing was AWESOME.

Yep I had the dual-amp THR100HD for years! It is indeed awesome but very different than the little guys. It was definitely the most tube-like SS amp I've ever played as far as volume and punch go. Ended up trading it to my buddy for a VTM60 because I always wanted one

Reactions: JT
I'm a massive fan of the Yamaha THR10 series amps; owned the standard THR10 in the past but I'm using the THR10X now.

It's not just my favorite practice amp; it's also one of my favorite amps period. Hell I've even played live gigs with it lined out in to my Fryette Powerstation

Here's a couple lil test clips I did with it direct to pc:

Rock:

Metal :

Sounds great. The THRs remind me of the Joyo Mjolnir, which I've been GASing for since I first heard of them - but they're way overpriced here in the US.

Yep I had the dual-amp THR100HD for years! It is indeed awesome but very different than the little guys. It was definitely the most tube-like SS amp I've ever played as far as volume and punch go. Ended up trading it to my buddy for a VTM60 because I always wanted one
I think Yamaha missed a real opportunity to take the THR line to new places based on all the rave reviews and the tones coming out of them.

I think Yamaha missed a real opportunity to take the THR line to new places based on all the rave reviews and the tones coming out of them.
If they would have left in the FX and the USB interface from the THR10 series it would have been a nearly perfect amp.

Removing those two features from the big boy amp was a REALLY dumb move in my opinion

If they would have left in the FX and the USB interface from the THR10 series it would have been a nearly perfect amp.

Removing those two features from the big boy amp was a REALLY dumb move in my opinion
I would have rather seen them bump up the power tube emulation features with sag, resonance and bias.

Agreed. Plus just a couple / few other features, in a couple different form factors, and man I think they would’ve kicked serious butt against Fender and Marshall SS amps etc.

A friend of mine got the mini SLO, With us both having the full fat SLO.

We weren't Impressed. I mean it was ok, and you don't expect loads for the asking price, but def can't understand all the "it sounds really close to the real thing".

I mean it had the Soldano flavour, sure.

Aside from Joyo, I'm not getting these mini, pedal in a box, designer amps. Especially for the price. For the price of two you can get a decent modeler which will definitely sound better.
This is basically my feeling. If I had a pedalboard of pedals and was looking for a single amp replacement I might feel differently. But I don’t, so it just doesn’t seem reasonable when plenty of great modelers exist with multiple amps plus effects.

A friend of mine got the mini SLO, With us both having the full fat SLO.

We weren't Impressed. I mean it was ok, and you don't expect loads for the asking price, but def can't understand all the "it sounds really close to the real thing".

I mean it had the Soldano flavour, sure.
That's a bummer to hear. I've been eyeballing the Mini SLO feed hoping to find a used one on the cheap - but you're not the first person to say they don't come close to the real deal.

Now, the Joyo ZoMBie can't touch a real Recto, but it definitely has that flavor and scratches that itch - when it's dialed in there's no doubting it sounds like a Mesa. Would I rather have a Badlander? Absolutely, but the ZoMBie ran me $90 used vs $2000 for a Badlander. If the Mini SLO scratches the same itch for sub-$200 it'll be worth it. And, when I want to blow down walls I have a JCA100HDM.

In the end, these are more grown up toys than actual professional level gear, but the ones I have so far are still fun.

That's a bummer to hear. I've been eyeballing the Mini SLO feed hoping to find a used one on the cheap - but you're not the first person to say they don't come close to the real deal.

Now, the Joyo ZoMBie can't touch a real Recto, but it definitely has that flavor and scratches that itch - when it's dialed in there's no doubting it sounds like a Mesa. Would I rather have a Badlander? Absolutely, but the ZoMBie ran me $90 used vs $2000 for a Badlander. If the Mini SLO scratches the same itch for sub-$200 it'll be worth it. And, when I want to blow down walls I have a JCA100HDM.

In the end, these are more grown up toys than actual professional level gear, but the ones I have so far are still fun.
If you want an SLO “on the cheap” that has controllable volume, I’d say the Synergy module into a 6L6 power amp is the best route. You have several attenuation points with a preamp into power amp config.

Otherwise maybe a Jet City 20 watter with the preamp modded to SLO specs.

A lot more expensive than a $250 novelty SS amp, of course, though. I get it… But you’d definitely end up at least a grand cheaper.

I have an SLO30 and a Syn rig and the Syn module performs well in a comparison, esp in the SLO’s loop. It is def not 1 to 1 but can vouch that it definitely holds up.

This vid is not a bad summary

I tried the Friedman, Bogner and SLO. I liked the Bogner the best. I sent the SLO back. Kept the other two.
I never tried the Diezel and yet the Deep knob intrigues me but I think I’m good.

My wife bought me a couple that I never use. She got me an Orange Micro Terror and a Bugera T5 head. I discovered the T5 is fun to roll vintage tubes in because it's a takes a single 12AX7 and a EL84. With so few gain stages you can really hear the difference between tubes.

I made a Bugera T5 & fuzz YT video with it and was shocked at how much interest there is in it so I made a couple more and they are all.pretty active too.
Who knew that thing would be so popular? :idk

The last one I did is an OD pedal shoot out with it. That one was done in February.

Last edited:
If you want an SLO “on the cheap” that has controllable volume, I’d say the Synergy module into a 6L6 power amp is the best route. You have several attenuation points with a preamp into power amp config.

Otherwise maybe a Jet City 20 watter with the preamp modded to SLO specs.

A lot more expensive than a $250 novelty SS amp, of course, though. I get it… But you’d definitely end up at least a grand cheaper.

I have an SLO30 and a Syn rig and the Syn module performs well in a comparison, esp in the SLO’s loop. It is def not 1 to 1 but can vouch that it definitely holds up.

This vid is not a bad summary

Killer video! \m/ Love the tones from both.

I have a Jet City JCA100HDM. The SLO mini GAS is more for something quick and easy. I'll probably still get one if I find a deal on a used one.

Back