Mesa Mystery Solved II: It's Not You It's Me Boogaloo

If you ever frequented the Fractal Users thread; I left a pretty powerful one there as well.
I just went looking for it. If we're talking about the same post ("my dad's a Fractal user"?), it's too deep a cut for me. I actually don't get the reference. :(

It’s not the amp …
the matrix there is no spoon GIF

:grin :grin :grin

JT, I know EXACTLY where you are brosef.

Makes you wonder why TF would you gig the Mrak, when you can just turn the BL on and go, because the point is to play, not juggle settings during a gig, etc.
You know; I've gigged it 4 times? And I had fun 3 out of the 4 times I'd say. It's really just the desire to still want to treat it like a single channel amp more than anything else. Despite 48 modes and blahblahblah. It's also just as much the thing where I am futzing with it at home (not because I can't dial it in but just because the impulse to go through all 48 modes) is too strong
confused GIF

Don't take my word for it. I let a LOT of things inform my experience and sometimes, it's more about being driven nuts vs. actually having a hardware issue. If you dig the FM in 4CM; dig it! I like the Stomp for gigging because of the small footprint and easy ability to tweak as needed and get on with playing. The FM is just a lot deeper. I love them both \m/

I'm less concerned about the size because a VII combo has a smaller footprint than the Sig:X with a 2x12 that I had been gigging with or even my George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe, but you mentioned the noise when the two were in 4CM and that could be a deal breaker. I play Jazz concerts with a wide dynamic range and quiet parts would be ruined by a lot of hum or hiss.

You mentioned concerns about MIDI switching. Was this a general aversion or did you have actual issues using the FM switching the Mesa? If the Stomp is better that's a plus but not in and of itself enough to get me to switch from Fractal where I have years of learning the smidgen of stuff I know that enables me to set the thing up rather quickly.

The idea of the FM9 with a VII combo worked for me as a compact rig I could do Jazz/R&B gigs with but those couple of things mentioned would be a cause of concern.
Makes you wonder why TF would you gig the Mrak, when you can just turn the BL on and go, because the point is to play, not juggle settings during a gig, etc.

Can't you just dial in the VII for three basic tones, clean crunch and high gain, and then not mess with it during your set?

You know; I've gigged it 4 times? And I had fun 3 out of the 4 times I'd say. It's really just the desire to still want to treat it like a single channel amp more than anything else. Despite 48 modes and blahblahblah. It's also just as much the thing where I am futzing with it at home (not because I can't dial it in but just because the impulse to go through all 48 modes) is too strong
confused GIF
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: that gif, so apropos
Can't you just dial in the VII for three basic tones, clean crunch and high gain, and then not mess with it during your set?

As evidenced in his post, in a word, no :LOL:.

Man, the more knobs and switches, the worse the tones, for me. One of the best tones I've ever gotten, was my Peavey Classic 50. One mode switch, that sounded like burnt ass when it was engaged, (so I left it off all the time), and a shared EQ. That's it. Damn thing sounded awesome. Clean AND dirty.

Also, this whole convo might be moot because, you seem to be suffering from the same thing I do, messing with it AT HOME, and "creating" a problem, where there is none. I just switched to a dual cab in Helix 5 minutes ago because my tone might be a little dark . . .

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: that gif, so apropos

As evidenced in his post, in a word, no :LOL:.

Man, the more knobs and switches, the worse the tones, for me. One of the best tones I've ever gotten, was my Peavey Classic 50. One mode switch, that sounded like burnt ass when it was engaged, (so I left it off all the time), and a shared EQ. That's it. Damn thing sounded awesome. Clean AND dirty.

Also, this whole convo might be moot because, you seem to be suffering from the same thing I do, messing with it AT HOME, and "creating" a problem, where there is none.
3 channel Boogie would be something like a Triple Crown. And even that is a hair too overthought for me. For as many "options" as I need; I like to keep everything as dumb as possible :rofl

Man, the more knobs and switches, the worse the tones, for me.

3 channel Boogie would be something like a Triple Crown. And even that is a hair too overthought for me. For as many "options" as I need; I like to keep everything as dumb as possible :rofl

For some reason that's not a problem for me. I don't feel compelled to tweak. I tend to dial it in and then leave it only making small adjustments to tone and reverb as needed depending on the room.

I was fine with the Triple Crown 50 once I figured out how to dial in the mids on Channel 2 the way I liked them and as daunting as it may look, I never was overwhelmed by all of the choices that the Sig:X offers with its 15 switches on the front panel. I was even using it for my Jazz gigs and never touched it once the set started.

NFX_4228.jpg

I like having options so that I can dial the amp in just the way I like it but then I pretty much set it and forget it just using playing technique and the volume and tone knobs on the guitar for whatever adjustments are needed during the set. So I'm not concerned about the complicated nature of the VII, but some of the other things JT mentioned would be an issue for me, particularly if the MIDI switching was problematic and if it was noisy in the 4CM with a FM9.

In what world is that even remotely a minimalistic/convenient/compact rig??

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Fair enough.

Compact in that the VII combo has a smaller footprint than my George Benson Hot Rod Deluxe or Sig:X rig, the last two amps I gigged with.

Convenient in that I could carry the combo, FM9, and guitar in gig bag on my back and take everything from the car to the stage in one trip.

Minimalist in that I'd only have one footpedal, not a complicated pedalboard with multiple interconnects that would be a nightmare to troubleshoot in the middle of a set if suddenly it cut out or would requires some serious tap dancing to change multiple effects and channels at once.

But yeah, the FM9 and VII are not simple pieces of gear and it would definitely take some work to get them both dialed in. And yes, while doable, hauling that stuff all at once would be a heavy lift and stairs would definitely be a challenge. Still it would be easier than taking my Sig:X and FatBottom 2z12.

I totally get you. After my failed Mini-Mark escapade, I am now only attracted to the simplest and streamlined Mesa amps that have two identical rows of channel knobs (and only 1 to 3 channels).

So Badlander, Fillmore... maybe the Triple Crown (but it has 3 sets of knobs and 3 channels).
The Fillmore is fucking glorious. It’s to Fender as the Badlander is to……epic high gain Britishey tones.

Very good. However, I will beat you at your tiny tiny amp game sir, with my ...

** gasp **

MINI PLEXI !!!

View attachment 8420

Dr Evil GIF
Please tell me that mini plex is a real thing because DAMN that’s cool!

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Who has the smallest???
forrest-gump.gif

The Fillmore is f*****g glorious. It’s to Fender as the Badlander is to……epic high gain Britishey tones.
I’d really love to cross paths with one of these in the wild. Is it doing blackface or tweed? I know the mark series amps are have a blackface fender lineage so I’m guessing tweed?

I’d love something that can do what my 70s SFDR does but with a second channel that can be dialed in to either replicate that with slight variations or slide into more compressed, gainier territory.

A lot of people build them with a 12AX7 or 12AY7 for a power tube.

I couldn't find a video of the one in the photo, but here's a 1/4 watt one with a 12AY7 power tube:

Oh no. What are you doing to me. There’s no way I can’t build one of these now. That clip sounded good enough to warrant further investigation.

But getting anywhere close to Brit-flavoured drive is not
going to happen. :idk
That's fine. Brits drive on the wrong side of the road in tiny little sub-100hp roadsters they call "sports cars" anyway. Muscle car on the right is the drive I like :clint

(Oddly enough, if I were to own a sports car, it would totally be an MG or Triumph, never a muscle car...but if I had to choose one national flavor of amp drive, it'd be American all day long...and if I had to choose one national flavor clean it'd probably be Brit? I like American clean...once I've turned on a clean boost in front of it that makes it sound like brit clean.)

Back