Mesa Mystery Solved II: It's Not You It's Me Boogaloo

Boo-teeky Epiphone Valve Jr. ??? :idk

Very good. However, I will beat you at your tiny tiny amp game sir, with my ...

** gasp **

MINI PLEXI !!!

mini-plexi.jpg

Dr Evil GIF

I don't use fx-loops so never need to worry about that. All of my amps are big multi-channel beasties, but because the channel knob layout often matches across channels... you just learn one of them and you're good to go.

The most annoying thing about my Dual Recto is the label positioning. Sometimes I forget which is the master and which is the gain knob, and when you're stood in front of the thing you kinda have to stoop down to read the labels properly. Total first world problems of course!

It's easy to dial in. It's not that. It's just for me "oh is the eq engaged, is the fx loop on, is the reverb engaged, what footswitch am I using, what mode am I on, what wattage am I on so channels are balanced?"
Are you using the VII in a bunch of different contexts that would require you to be changing these control settings frequently? I would have expected the whole "set and forget" process to be in your rearview by now. Half the battle with any gear as sophisticated as this is learning what you can ignore.

Figure out where you like your toggle switches and snap some photos. Or Shellac the back panel LOL.

I don't use fx-loops so never need to worry about that. All of my amps are big multi-channel beasties, but because the channel knob layout often matches across channels... you just learn one of them and you're good to go.

The most annoying thing about my Dual Recto is the label positioning. Sometimes I forget which is the master and which is the gain knob, and when you're stood in front of the thing you kinda have to stoop down to read the labels properly. Total first world problems of course!

Are you using the VII in a bunch of different contexts that would require you to be changing these control settings frequently? I would have expected the whole "set and forget" process to be in your rearview by now. Half the battle with any gear as sophisticated as this is learning what you can ignore.

Figure out where you like your toggle switches and snap some photos. Or Shellac the back panel LOL.

I always use the fx loop. Sometimes I use the eq, sometimes not. Depends on the time of day apparently :rofl

Crux of my problem is I don't really gel with my 412 with GK100 speakers. I have an empty Boogie Recto slant I keep telling myself I am going to load up but I never do. I like my F12s with IRs. So I end up running IRs in the loop.

The Boogie has presets. And when you fire it up; thefuckifIknowwhat logic it uses to select the preset it loads on startup. It's one of those things where I am creating a problem where there kind of is none. But I also am someone who gets BOMBARDED all day long needing to keep fixing crap so when I get in front of a guitar amp; I just want to plug in and start tremolo picking and not sit and go through 12 toggles modes and blahblahblah. I knew it going in. And I can set and forget but it is nowhere near at it's most useful if you approach it that way, imo. I might be easily frustratable :whistle :cuss:rofl

And I can set and forget but it is nowhere near at it's most useful if you approach it that way, imo. I might be easily frustratable :whistle :cuss:rofl
Yeah, that's fair. Why buy/ own an incredibly versatile (and costly) amp if you don't need the versatility. Or worse, if the versatility is a liability.

Unless one of the ten million tones available is highly desirable and can't be had elsewhere.

Yeah, that's fair. Why buy/ own an incredibly versatile (and costly) amp if you don't need the versatility. Or worse, if the versatility is a liability.

Unless one of the ten million tones available is highly desirable and can't be had elsewhere.
The Badlander is so plug and play. I am like a broken record about it but it just works. The VII is great. But you are thinking about it when you are using it, if that makes sense?

The Badlander is so plug and play. I am like a broken record about it but it just works. The VII is great. But you are thinking about it when you are using it, if that makes sense?

I totally get you. After my failed Mini-Mark escapade, I am now only attracted to the simplest and streamlined Mesa amps that have two identical rows of channel knobs (and only 1 to 3 channels).

So Badlander, Fillmore... maybe the Triple Crown (but it has 3 sets of knobs and 3 channels).

Last edited:
Badlander is fire it up, kill it with whatever boost and justfuckingripitup.

This is me and my Electra Dyne. I just turn it on and it's an instant amazing, perfect rock sound. I only ever adjust the master volume or mids, depending on room and cab I'm using. Makes using anything else hard to justify or want.

I really miss being mid-song, thinking my amp was a bit boomy to turn around and look at a bunch of chrome knobs glistening from stage lights, realize I need to sing so I turn back to the mic then quickly run to drop the bass only to realize I grabbed the wrong knob but now can’t remember which one I grabbed and I gotta sing again so f*ck it…..

I used to gig 2 Pro Juniors cranked through 2x12 cabs.

Volume knob - Tone knob - power switch

Done.

I hate complicated multi channel amps for all the reasons you mentioned. But I was always more of a “dirt from pedals” player so that makes it much easier

I used to gig 2 Pro Juniors cranked through 2x12 cabs.

Volume knob - Tone knob - power switch

Done.

I hate complicated multi channel amps for all the reasons you mentioned. But I was always more of a “dirt from pedals” player so that makes it much easier
The Badlander is such a layer it with pedal dirt type of amp as well.

Every time one of you Yankee-Doodle-Dandy motherfuckers talks about the Badlander, I get supreme European Union envy, and feel like invading a small Eastern Europe country.

I ORDERED ONE FOR FUCKSAKE!! IT JUST NEVER TURNED UP!! BOSTON TEA PARTY MY ARSE!!!

Badlander is a great amp! Super easy to use. I'm not using it much live anymore though with the updated setup that I have been running which is much smaller and lighter (Kemper stage or QC/KSR PA 50/Mesa 1x12).
Mine is officially being traded for something I have wanted for a long time. Nothing exotic or special in that sense but I was finally able to get one. I like 3 channel amps so this will serve the purpose well. Will not be gigging this one as it is a bit heavy and awkward. Should arrive in a week.

Back