Mesa Mystery Solved II: It's Not You It's Me Boogaloo

You know I felt relatively the same way about my MKV 90W when I first got it. I'd been waiting on a new one for two years during the pandemic. When I finally got my hands on one, it wasn't what I expected. I was back and forth over keeping it. I finally just put it away and used something else for a while. Just lost interest in it but don't want to sell it.

Back in March, the Mesa email list sent me notification on the MKVII. Immediately snagged a combo and a California Tweed 4:40 from Guitar Sanctuary.

I like the MKVII. I really do. Less clutter to me than the MKV. I was surprised big time how easy it is to dial up what I want to hear. I already like it better than my MKV. But I still prefer my old MKIV Rev A's over either one. And lately I've been playing the California Tweed over all of them.
OK, that's 4 Mesas by my count.
Damn there's a lot of Mesa owners here!! Kewl :banana:rawk

:annoying

I've been thinking about getting a Mk VII. I figured the way around the thing you're describing is to use the FM9 as a controller and have all of that stuff footswitchable by MIDI along with whatever effects I'm using. I know the VII doesn''t allow for MIDI control of everything but would it be enough? Is there anything you critically need to do on the amp that isn't MIDI controllable?

Am I being naive here or would something like that work?
Not naive at all. I've done it a few times. But putting the FM and a Mark whatever for me is way too much overcomplication in two separate devices put together. Combined with a huge footprint I would never gig. The FM and VII is noisier in 4cm even with humbusters and the midi switching is slower than it is with the Stomp. IME, at least? Beyond that; I semi don't trust the midi switching on the VII and prefer the dedicated footswitch. It's a combinations of a lot of notions and observations, whether factual, pre-conceived or not; that just keep them staying in their own lane.

The FM sits on my jam table and gets used for recording. I have 2 Boogies sitting in the room with me and I still choose to use the FAS Boogie models so that tells you something :love

OK, that's 4 Mesas by my count.
Damn there's a lot of Mesa owners here!! Kewl :banana:rawk

:annoying
I actually have a 1982 MKI and 1985 MKIIC+ too. They are out of rotation ATM. They need some electrical TLC. Haven't decided if I want to deal with it myself, or send to Mike Bendinelli which is probably time and money better spent. Anything I ever sent him came back perfect.

The year is halway gone, so I think I'll head over to the Matchless side of the farm for awhile.

hYftIOLh.jpg

Q9Im7yMh.jpg

I actually have a 1982 MKI and 1985 MKIIC+ too. They are out of rotation ATM. They need some electrical TLC. Haven't decided if I want to deal with it myself, or send to Mike Bendinelli which is probably time and money better spent. Anything I ever sent him came back perfect.

The year is halway gone, so I think I'll head over to the Matchless side of the farm for awhile.

hYftIOLh.jpg

Q9Im7yMh.jpg

Jesus Praise GIF by MOODMAN

Not naive at all. I've done it a few times. But putting the FM and a Mark whatever for me is way too much overcomplication in two separate devices put together. Combined with a huge footprint I would never gig. The FM and VII is noisier in 4cm even with humbusters and the midi switching is slower than it is with the Stomp. IME, at least? Beyond that; I semi don't trust the midi switching on the VII and prefer the dedicated footswitch. It's a combinations of a lot of notions and observations, whether factual, pre-conceived or not; that just keep them staying in their own lane.

The FM sits on my jam table and gets used for recording. I have 2 Boogies sitting in the room with me and I still choose to use the FAS Boogie models so that tells you something :love

Thanks, this is helpful.

It sounds like the FM9 is less than ideal for this application and since I'm only planning to use it for effects when playing live it's possible that the Stomp would be a better solution. I've been resisting the urge to try another multi-effects format but in this instance it may make sense to check out the Stomp if I get the VII.

hYftIOLh.jpg

Q9Im7yMh.jpg
Call me crazy, but I take it you're a Matchless fan?

:rofl

Good gracious, save some for the rest of us!

Call me crazy, but I take it you're a Matchless fan?

:rofl

Good gracious, save some for the rest of us!
Also a Wizard fan, but I'm down to a couple of those. And there's more.

Some of these things don't get played for a long time. But when I finally get around to them after a long sabbatical, it's like new amp day.
Tastes and wants change over time. At least for me they do. It's not just one "sound in my head", but more like three or four.

8XqcUmjh.jpg

Also a Wizard fan, but I'm down to a couple of those. And there's more.

Some of these things don't get played for a long time. But when I finally get around to them after a long sabbatical, it's like new amp day.
Tastes and wants change over time. At least for me they do. It's not just one "sound in my head", but more like three or four.

8XqcUmjh.jpg
Those are too bad either.:grin

Nice collection!

Thanks, this is helpful.

It sounds like the FM9 is less than ideal for this application and since I'm only planning to use it for effects when playing live it's possible that the Stomp would be a better solution. I've been resisting the urge to try another multi-effects format but in this instance it may make sense to check out the Stomp if I get the VII.
Don't take my word for it. I let a LOT of things inform my experience and sometimes, it's more about being driven nuts vs. actually having a hardware issue. If you dig the FM in 4CM; dig it! I like the Stomp for gigging because of the small footprint and easy ability to tweak as needed and get on with playing. The FM is just a lot deeper. I love them both \m/

Gear sucks
New rule: if the gear distracts me for more than 10 minutes in a row, drop everything (recording, preset programming, wiring up a board, whatever it is) and learn some random old cover I should have learned when I was like 14. It's worked out pretty well this week. Should have made this standard operating procedure, oh, about 40 years ago.

Back