Mesa Mystery Solved II: It's Not You It's Me Boogaloo

I wholeheartedly support the return to simpler amps and simpler times ✊
Star Trek Borg GIF

The Fillmore is f*****g glorious. It’s to Fender as the Badlander is to……epic high gain Britishey tones.

I wasn't a fan of the gained up tones. :idk

The cleans are cool, but not as good as the MKV cleans I can
get, or the cleans from a couple of my Fenders.

I think I'd rather get a used Fender Vibrolux '68 Reissue for the money of a Fillmore, and a
couple of decent dirt/od pedals to run in front.

I’d really love to cross paths with one of these in the wild. Is it doing blackface or tweed? I know the mark series amps are have a blackface fender lineage so I’m guessing tweed?

I’d love something that can do what my 70s SFDR does but with a second channel that can be dialed in to either replicate that with slight variations or slide into more compressed, gainier territory.

Mesa Cali Tweed is Tweed based and the Fillmores are more Black/Brownface derived--in my experience.
I have some vintage Fenders and the Fillmore was not as saggy as those. Just a little more modern and stiff
sounding/feeling. Good for some. Not as good for others. :idk

The cloned channel thing I am an huge fan of. To be able to dial in the two channels nearly identical but with
slight EQ/Volume/.Gain changes is fan-fooking-tastic! :love

I wasn't a fan of the gained up tones. :idk

The cleans are cool, but not as good as the MKV cleans I can
get, or the cleans from a couple of my Fenders.

I think I'd rather get a used Fender Vibrolux '68 Reissue for the money of a Fillmore, and a
couple of decent dirt/od pedals to run in front.
Different strokes; a buddy had that very Fender, and I hated it. He sold it quickly, just too damn loud and ice picky.

So revisited for a good long while yesterday and today. Again, this is all me.

Spouted off on this in another thread but will post up here as well for "historical purposes". I treated the VII as a single channel amp. Used my Stomp and dirt pedals in front of that single channel. Much better connection with the amp when not trying to force it to my idiotic will.

Couple of things I noticed in my trials:
1. HX cabs are really good. Very pleased with some different speaker/cab/mic combos over the Boss and YA V30 cab I have been using.
2. The onboard eq on the Boogie is obviously "the real thing". But pretty damn noisy. The Cali EQ block in the Stomp is great (other than the weird scale of -13.9 to 13.8(?) range) and making equivalents to the IRL GEQ on the amp? 13 years of bitching about sliders but -27.4 to 23.9 range is ok? :hmmIt's a LOT quieter than engaging the eq in the amp circuit itself. Very pleased \m/ Makes me want to start a metal band for the 39 bazillionth time :satan:facepalm

Back