Mesa Mystery Solved II: It's Not You It's Me Boogaloo

Mine is officially being traded for something I have wanted for a long time. Nothing exotic or special in that sense but I was finally able to get one. I like 3 channel amps so this will serve the purpose well. Will not be gigging this one as it is a bit heavy and awkward. Should arrive in a week.

Whatever you do, don’t tell us what amp you’re talking about.

Whatever you do, don’t tell us what amp you’re talking about.

You got it! LOL!

ilnvtkw4ehnxyzscizdp.jpg

Setting aside other Mesa amps, what other amp(s?) would you use instead of the Mark VII that achieve similar high gain sound, that are easier to dial in?

You got it! LOL!

ilnvtkw4ehnxyzscizdp.jpg
Simple circuit :bag:whistle
Yup. Cloned channels are cool. :chef

It's very indebted to Fender, so if you don't like those tones
I would not enter for the gained up and overdrive tones alone.

I sold my Fillmore 50 a few months ago. Not missed. :idk
Clips of this are all over the place. I don't need the brutal at all. I do like the simplicity of the design and I do like some of the clips of the gained up tones. Not missed, otoh; is obviously not glowing praise.

They are great amps. I dig the Fillmores. But getting anywhere close to Brit-flavoured drive is not
going to happen. :idk

They excel in that clean department, or as a pedal platform. But even those cleans on the Fillmore
were not as lovely (to me) as on the MKV.

The VII is a great amp. But jesus christ is it NOT an amp you want to play when you are running on negative patience levels. It's easy to dial in. It's not that. It's just for me "oh is the eq engaged, is the fx loop on, is the reverb engaged, what footswitch am I using, what mode am I on, what wattage am I on so channels are balanced?":rofl

I've been thinking about getting a Mk VII. I figured the way around the thing you're describing is to use the FM9 as a controller and have all of that stuff footswitchable by MIDI along with whatever effects I'm using. I know the VII doesn''t allow for MIDI control of everything but would it be enough? Is there anything you critically need to do on the amp that isn't MIDI controllable?

Am I being naive here or would something like that work?

So after another dead dumb easy pair of gigs with the BL over the weekend; came back to the VII to try the Carcosa out a bit as the BL stayed primed for the quick load out for this Friday's round of gigs.

The VII is a great amp. But jesus christ is it NOT an amp you want to play when you are running on negative patience levels. It's easy to dial in. It's not that. It's just for me "oh is the eq engaged, is the fx loop on, is the reverb engaged, what footswitch am I using, what mode am I on, what wattage am I on so channels are balanced?"

Jesusfuckingchristfuckstraightthefuckoff :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss

Badlander is fire it up, kill it with whatever boost and justfuckingripitup. I am currently deciding whether the VII will be a piece I can just be fine with leaving in the corner for whenever I feel like futzing with something a bit deeper or if I just say *****it and off the damn thing. It is a great amp but the way I roll is already overcomplicated enough without making it worse :rofl
You know I felt relatively the same way about my MKV 90W when I first got it. I'd been waiting on a new one for two years during the pandemic. When I finally got my hands on one, it wasn't what I expected. I was back and forth over keeping it. I finally just put it away and used something else for a while. Just lost interest in it but don't want to sell it.

Back in March, the Mesa email list sent me notification on the MKVII. Immediately snagged a combo and a California Tweed 4:40 from Guitar Sanctuary.

I like the MKVII. I really do. Less clutter to me than the MKV. I was surprised big time how easy it is to dial up what I want to hear. I already like it better than my MKV. But I still prefer my old MKIV Rev A's over either one. And lately I've been playing the California Tweed over all of them.

I like the MKVII. I really do. Less clutter to me than the MKV. I was surprised big time how easy it is to dial up what I want to hear. I already like it better than my MKV. But I still prefer my old MKIV Rev A's over either one. And lately I've been playing the California Tweed over all of them.

Ooh. Interesting. Please make a thread about the Cali Tweed!

You know I felt relatively the same way about my MKV 90W when I first got it. I'd been waiting on a new one for two years during the pandemic. When I finally got my hands on one, it wasn't what I expected. I was back and forth over keeping it. I finally just put it away and used something else for a while. Just lost interest in it but don't want to sell it.

Back in March, the Mesa email list sent me notification on the MKVII. Immediately snagged a combo and a California Tweed 4:40 from Guitar Sanctuary.

I kind of thought it might be more appropriate for the rant sub; yet I think the core tones are so fantastic that it is all on me and this discussion is where it belongs.

Back