MESA JP2c vs Mark III.

nicolasrivera

Roadie
So, last night I borrowed a JP2C from a friend, not my first time with this amp but the first time I have time alone with it. What an amazing amp!!!!

My very initial thoughts today after spending a few hours with it:

.Clean channel is really clean!
.Channel 3 is a bit fatter than Ch.2
.Shred mode is AMAZING!!!!
.Fast and responsive attack
.Heavy amp thanks to that huge transformer
.Presence knob pull function is great
.Great reverb, just a bit overpowering.

And yes I did tried to match my Mark III GS to it and it was a success, I was expecting this as I had matched it in the past to captures from ToneX and NAM posted of the JP2c.

I will say that the clean channel on the Mark III is better regarding it can get as clean but can also go in to breakup very nicely so its not that clinically clean of the JP2c.

I will post more stuff as I get more time with this great amp!

52889622085_9ce746769b_c.jpg

I too had a JP2C and a Mark III GS at the same time. I found that the I preferred the sound of the simul-class power section in the III, and the ability to swap out the outer two tubes to EL34s. In the room and jamming with a band, both are in the top echelon of amplifier you can buy. They’re fantastic and I would talk any friend into either amp anytime. But i will say I found the Mark III more versatile with the wider-range clean channel, and i found the lead channel to be more raw and higher gain unless you consider the onboard boost (shred mode) in the JP2C. I prefer an SD1, Maxon 808, or Grid Slammer to the shred mode though for a boost.

The Mark III slays. Full stop. It hits levels of aggression I’ve never been able to get out of the other Mark series amps, even the 2C+. Despite all that attitude, it is very responsive and full of tone.

Yes, the days of finding fully loaded simul class heads for $700 are probably long gone, but mark my words, these will eventually gain unobtanium status too.

The III is a bit more aggressive in the chugs to my ears. I dig it.

Well, 5 days in with the JP2C and im in love and I don't know what to do, my friend he is definitely in to a more sound wise diverse MESA, he owns the Triple Crown he loves it, this JP2C not so much, he is considering selling it.

I love how my 89' Mark III sounds and feels, but the JP2C is easier to dial in and with 3 con and 2 EQ is massively powerful. One thing I didn't thought I would care much for was the MIDI implementation, but it is dead simple to integrate with my Musicomlab EFX loop controller that it has become addictive.

The Mark tones that drives my heart is that of the early Metallica albums and DT. That is the first most important tone I have to get out of any given Mark.

Since my Mark 3 is going to be 34yo this June I really don't want to be using it 20 hours a week and been lurking in to a new MESA for its long term use with out fear of component obsolescence.

I didn't want to like this much the JP2C as its a signature amp, but the Mark IIc+ magic tone is jaw dropping....

I need this amp in my life, can't afford right now, so I will see if he want to trade it for 1of my Suhr guitars that he loves.

Some more discoveries in my ongoing time with the JP2C.

The amp was re-tubed with 6L6 STR 441 from Tung Sol and to my surprise this tubes sound fuller and tighter than the STR 440s. I really tight that fuller tone was coming out of the huge transformer, but no...its the power tubes.

I test them in my Mark III that has 440s and once the 441s where in man it got closer to the JP2c sound just with that change.

I will order a set of this STR 441, its worth it.

Size difference:

52909523001_93703a92b9_b.jpg

The amp was re-tubed with 6L6 STR 441 from Tung Sol and to my surprise this tubes sound fuller and tighter than the STR 440s. I really tight that fuller tone was coming out of the huge transformer, but no...its the power tubes.

I test them in my Mark III that has 440s and once the 441s where in man it got closer to the JP2c sound just with that change.

Size difference:

I recently retubed my 2:90 power amp with "short bottle" 6L6s and couldn't be happier with the results.

Interesting. Looks like the 441 is out of stock on Mesa’s site right now but I might try to grab a set for my Mark III once they are back. I love the way the amp sounds now, but it’s always interesting to roll tubes.

I really like Tung Sol 6L6's, definitely like the STR 441's over 440's. 443's are cool too.
I like Tung Sol 12ax7s for sure, especially in V1 of my amps, but my experience with them as power tubes in the JP2C is a little different than yours. I had put TS 6L6s in my JP2C, and then for the longest time I was getting frustrated with the sound I was getting to tape with the amp. It kept sounding just not right to my ears. One day I remembered that months prior I tried the Tung Sol power tubes and decided to switch back to some Mesa STR440s I had sitting around. Immediately after installing them, the amp sounded right.

So with tubes, YMMV for sure, and even the batch I had may have been a lesser-quality one too.

I really like the Tung Sol 5881s as a 6L6 variant. Not as much low-end, but that means a bit tighter,
in my experience. Also, not quite as scooped, which means more mids. :love

Size difference:

For anyone using the TONEX, I have shared Ch.2 and 3 captures with the STR 400 and 441 power tubes.

For me this was an interesting test as I now feel I like the STR 440 better over the 441.

52935314960_8e0f16b28c_k.jpg

I like Tung Sol 12ax7s for sure, especially in V1 of my amps, but my experience with them as power tubes in the JP2C is a little different than yours. I had put TS 6L6s in my JP2C, and then for the longest time I was getting frustrated with the sound I was getting to tape with the amp. It kept sounding just not right to my ears. One day I remembered that months prior I tried the Tung Sol power tubes and decided to switch back to some Mesa STR440s I had sitting around. Immediately after installing them, the amp sounded right.

So with tubes, YMMV for sure, and even the batch I had may have been a lesser-quality one too.
Did you check what the Tung Sols were reading for bias? With Mesa being biased cold and if the tubes are a cold set this can be an issue.

Last edited:
Back