NAD: 5153 50 Watt V1

I have mine set to 50 miles, yet routinely see stuff for sale on the other side of the country. Facebook - proof that AI is only a threat to common sense.

Well some post weekend updates. This amp is bright. I remember on my old Peaveys I couldn’t run the treble above 5. Presence needed to be at like 7 or 8 to work though. This amp the presence works much earlier so I can run it lower. Treble I like around 4 on the dial.

Blue channel is where I’m going to live on this amp. It sounds great, I can get what I want out of it and it’ll do higher gain rock and metal with ease. I had been using my SD-1 to boost and it was good but lopped off a bit much in the lows and the kid push was super aggressive. The amp is already super aggressive. Tried my TS-9 today though and that’s an improvement. More balanced with this amp and gave me THE high gain tone I wanted. Like so much that imma go buy a set of Not Even Slinky’s Later to throw on my LP Studio and tune to C standard so I can pummel this amp with In Flames riffs.

Red channel is actually workable for me but I keep the gain low. Like 1 - 2 tops. I had an Engl Powerball that was the same way. Overall, I’m more or less happy with it. I was thinking about maybe returning it but I wanted to try some things first. And what I tried worked. So… new amp is good, should look into a new TS (JHS Bonsai maybe?) and heavy strings for heavy tunes.

I am a treble junky and run both treble and presence cranked fairly high on red channel :LOL:

And the gain around noon :bag

:satan

I don’t know if it’s just the frequencies my Greenbacks are pushing to begin with but this amp needs no help in that department. I gotta still try it with my Creamback cab. It sounds fucking righteous though as is. Kinda wish they’d had an EL34 model in stock to A/B against but this one works well and sounds good. I already have EL34 powered high gain amps so another one may have been redundant. Almost wish I still had some V30s around to try. Maybe I should look into some Celestion Redbacks down the road :satan

Well some post weekend updates. This amp is bright. I remember on my old Peaveys I couldn’t run the treble above 5. Presence needed to be at like 7 or 8 to work though. This amp the presence works much earlier so I can run it lower. Treble I like around 4 on the dial.

Blue channel is where I’m going to live on this amp. It sounds great, I can get what I want out of it and it’ll do higher gain rock and metal with ease. I had been using my SD-1 to boost and it was good but lopped off a bit much in the lows and the kid push was super aggressive. The amp is already super aggressive. Tried my TS-9 today though and that’s an improvement. More balanced with this amp and gave me THE high gain tone I wanted. Like so much that imma go buy a set of Not Even Slinky’s Later to throw on my LP Studio and tune to C standard so I can pummel this amp with In Flames riffs.

Red channel is actually workable for me but I keep the gain low. Like 1 - 2 tops. I had an Engl Powerball that was the same way. Overall, I’m more or less happy with it. I was thinking about maybe returning it but I wanted to try some things first. And what I tried worked. So… new amp is good, should look into a new TS (JHS Bonsai maybe?) and heavy strings for heavy tunes.
I use a Plumes in to my EVH and 800… keeps the lows and sounds great.

I don’t know if it’s just the frequencies my Greenbacks are pushing to begin with but this amp needs no help in that department. I gotta still try it with my Creamback cab. It sounds fucking righteous though as is. Kinda wish they’d had an EL34 model in stock to A/B against but this one works well and sounds good. I already have EL34 powered high gain amps so another one may have been redundant. Almost wish I still had some V30s around to try. Maybe I should look into some Celestion Redbacks down the road :satan

ive been about T75s lately but my EL34 excels with v30s. you gotta get at least a 2x12 with some v30s

ive been about T75s lately but my EL34 excels with v30s. you gotta get at least a 2x12 with some v30s

I still need to put it through my Creamback 75 cab yet. I did try it through my captor with some different V30 IRs (Fortin Beast Vintage WoS cab and the free Ownhammer Mesa Cab) and it sounded great with them in that environment. I also used my Ubercab 75 WoS cab and that sounded great too albeit different. But still, solid G12T75 action there.

It’s going back. I tried a few things with it and there’s things I like about it but I don’t love. I think it’s just a bit too compressed for me and I like something a bit more open. Playing Marshall style amps has kind of ruined me for the super tight super compressed stuff anymore. They have a 10 day return policy and 30 day exchange so I’ll see if I want to exchange it first and if I don’t see something else I like, I’ll return it.

I think I was hoping for more of the Peavey tone me while it’s definitely of the same lineage it is a very different amp. No fault of the amp. Just not for me.

It’s going back. I tried a few things with it and there’s things I like about it but I don’t love. I think it’s just a bit too compressed for me and I like something a bit more open. Playing Marshall style amps has kind of ruined me for the super tight super compressed stuff anymore. They have a 10 day return policy and 30 day exchange so I’ll see if I want to exchange it first and if I don’t see something else I like, I’ll return it.

I think I was hoping for more of the Peavey tone me while it’s definitely of the same lineage it is a very different amp. No fault of the amp. Just not for me.

The peaveys are definitely less compressed

Hence why I prefer the evh :LOL:

671E2E6D-A3C4-4885-8C92-C4C04DDBD44F.jpeg

Brought mine to jam with my drummer last night, along with the SS SE. thought it sounded amazing

My drummer complained and said it sounded “thin and hollow” but he has talked shit about every single coil guitar I’ve ever brought around :LOL:

Think I’m gonna do some recordings with a few guitars and make him do a blind test :hmm

View attachment 25122

Brought mine to jam with my drummer last night, along with the SS SE. thought it sounded amazing

My drummer complained and said it sounded “thin and hollow” but he has talked shit about every single coil guitar I’ve ever brought around :LOL:

Think I’m gonna do some recordings with a few guitars and make him do a blind test :hmm
The gain on the red channel....
Oh No What GIF by K9 Storm Inc.

Back