NAD: the Marshall JMD-1 is in

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
So it's in and I fired it up. After about 5 minutes it started making a weird crackling sound almost as if a cell phone was on it and interference was happening. Seemed to be random and not cyclical so I started turning knobs. Nope no change. Hit all the jacks with Caigs and air, no change. Started knocking on the top of the amp to see if it got worse and it did.

Took the back panel off and checked the tubes for tightness. All secured well (GC did a great job shipping it btw). Checked speaker connections and they are tight and not corroded.
Noticed it seems to have all original tubes in it so I swapped out the PI with a known good Tung Sol ax7 and VOILA! The noise is gone. Has been a good 30 minutes now with no noise. Going to leave it on for another couple hours and play through it here and there but it seems I found the gremlin and removed it.

It's definitely getting a new matched quad of tubes in the near future. I can tell that they are tired. 100w should be ear shattering and it's not really all that loud. I mean it's loud but not 100w Marshall loud. have only spent about 20 minutes futzing around but it's got the Marshall goods in spades so far. From JVM clean to JCM800 2203 low to high gains and lots in between. Pretty psyched that it came with the footswitch too.

Yes it's phucking heavy AF. 78lbs.

383732452_1367734433853048_3296756321363978746_n.jpg

Bummer but I don't blame you. It could be a need of some work from leaking caps to trying to trace down a cold solder joint or two somewhere inside.

It may not be the actual tube, but just the contacts/pins. Do you hit the pins with some contact cleaner, then kinda work the pins in & out of the sockets?

I can't remember where I heard that tip, but it's something I try to remember to do with all my tubes every so often.

I had a 205H once up a time. I liked the green clean and orange dirt but red mode sucked and a buddy offered me a nice sum for it so I took it.

Changing two caps and a resistor mods Od2 into Od1. So much better than the stock 205, I genuinely don't know why they didn't ship it like that.

So it's in and I fired it up. After about 5 minutes it started making a weird crackling sound almost as if a cell phone was on it and interference was happening. Seemed to be random and not cyclical so I started turning knobs. Nope no change. Hit all the jacks with Caigs and air, no change. Started knocking on the top of the amp to see if it got worse and it did.

Took the back panel off and checked the tubes for tightness. All secured well (GC did a great job shipping it btw). Checked speaker connections and they are tight and not corroded.
Noticed it seems to have all original tubes in it so I swapped out the PI with a known good Tung Sol ax7 and VOILA! The noise is gone. Has been a good 30 minutes now with no noise. Going to leave it on for another couple hours and play through it here and there but it seems I found the gremlin and removed it.

It's definitely getting a new matched quad of tubes in the near future. I can tell that they are tired. 100w should be ear shattering and it's not really all that loud. I mean it's loud but not 100w Marshall loud. have only spent about 20 minutes futzing around but it's got the Marshall goods in spades so far. From JVM clean to JCM800 2203 low to high gains and lots in between. Pretty psyched that it came with the footswitch too.

Yes it's phucking heavy AF. 78lbs.

View attachment 11216
I learned right outta the cannon as the jobsite green’horn:
You’re giving the amplifier:
“The ole Charlie Daniels of the torque-wrench”💯
Good man💪

Back