Looking for new 50 watt modelling amps

pipelineaudio

Shredder
These are for our students to carry to their shows

There are a few requirements for gear for our guitarists that will make things easier, mean more shows, better sound, faster setup and perhaps most importantly, consistent sound and setup

1. Channel switching on a pedal - keep it easy switching sounds during and between songs when needed
2. 50 watts max. Keep the stage volume DOWN! It is the number one enemy at shows as the stages get smaller and quieter
3. Speaker emulated line output that can go directly to the PA - No putting microphones on amps!
4. Hopefully a tuner
5. Hopefully closed back - see #2

The Contenders:

Boss katana MK 50 watt - when you plug into the phones/rec out does it turn off the speaker? If so this amp will be useless for this purpose, like the Line6 Amplifi series
Is there a tuner?

Fender Mustang LT 50
There is no manual for this at Fender's site. Does the Mono line out on the back mute the speaker? Is there a footswitch available? Is there a tuner? The Mustang GT series were awesome, it may be that they could go for those instead.

Line 6 Catalyst CX 60
This one seems to tick all the boxes except that it is open back
Is the two button footswitch all that's available for this?

Edit: The marshall code seems to not have a speaker emulated out
Marshall Code 50
This one is closed back. Is there a decent footswitch for it?

Last edited:
Personally, I’ll go with the Catalyst.

The Line 6 Catalyst CX 60 will arguably have the most accurate models.

But for more effects, bells, and whistles, the Katana is hard to beat. Not sure about the speaker mute.

I’d avoid the other two.

Since these are solid-state I don't really see how the output power would be a big problem to have to limit to 50W. The Katana 100 would have a proper fx loop for example, and the Catalyst CX 100 would have MIDI input.

Will these be something the students basically get as "here's an amp, figure it out" type deal? Because I could see the Katana being slightly easier to use for effects than the weirdo design the Catalyst has for those.

The Katana doesn't seem to have a tuner and also not really sure if it has a usable direct out. Part of the 50 watt limit is that if the power is available, it WILL be turned all the way up. Trying very much to avoid stage volume.

Part of the 50 watt limit is that if the power is available, it WILL be turned all the way up. Trying very much to avoid stage volume.

Both the Katana and Catalyst have built-in power attenuators (limiters, i guess, being digital...).

IIRC the Catalyst 60 can do 60/30/0.5 Watts, or disable the power output entirely.

Last edited:
Not what you're asking for, but maybe something like a Pod Express and a powered speaker will get you more of those features. Or one of the Mooer modelers, etc.
I'd KILL to stick every one of these kids on a PodGo. The issue is hawaii's absolute hatred of education makes needing them to have the technical will to learn these is pretty prohibitive. The ones who actually will learn this stuff already have their own setups and I try to set as an example for the others, but combos is about the best I can hope for from most

Have you thought about the 40W Boss Nextone. Does the Fender, Vox, Marshall thing pretty well. Has on board boost, delay, and reverb. An attenuator, speaker sim out to the board. I own a Special and it's a surprisingly amp, once dialed in. no tuner but, Snarks are cheap enough and usually better than most on board tuners at that level. IMHO
The 40W Nextone is reasonable used, as Boss never marketed the amp line properly and and a lot of them show up.

Screenshot_20240421_092317_Brave.jpg
Screenshot_20240421_092653_Samsung Notes.jpg

Line out keeps speaker. Phones/Record Out mutes it

Also, Katana's Master volume does not affect Line Out (Ch Vol does)

Last edited:
The Katana doesn't seem to have a tuner and also not really sure if it has a usable direct out. Part of the 50 watt limit is that if the power is available, it WILL be turned all the way up. Trying very much to avoid stage volume.

The difference in volume between 50 and 100 watts isn’t all that great. Around 3dB or so.

Have you thought about the 40W Boss Nextone. Does the Fender, Vox, Marshall thing pretty well. Has on board boost, delay, and reverb. An attenuator, speaker sim out to the board. I own a Special and it's a surprisingly amp, once dialed in. no tuner but, Snarks are cheap enough and usually better than most on board tuners at that level. IMHO
The 40W Nextone is reasonable used, as Boss never marketed the amp line properly and and a lot of them show up.
I’ll have a look!

Katana 50 and Catalyst 60 are both good options for students IMO. Cat is a little bigger dimensions and sounds better out of the box due to the cab and speaker. But both are fine for the purpose. I'd do a clip tuner and roll the volume knob down.

Back