Kyle Bull

Hey all!
I haven't been in here in a minute. I was avoiding the internet for.....a while. Haha. It can be rather taxing trying to reply to everyone while doing this thing (I know, cry me a river :) )

To answer a couple of your questions:
1 - Yes I did get a St James, still haven't demo'd it yet. I plan to soon though. On it's own, it's pretty underwhelming. Very vanilla sounding, not quite enough gain, IMO. BUT - it takes a boost and/or EQ out front as well as any amp I've ever tried. You can REALLY shape the amp depending on what you hit the front end with, pickups, pedals, etc. and to that end, I found it to be extremely workable and has plenty of headroom

2 - The new Sheffield 1230+ is not necessarily a rework of the 1200 - if you want to get really nerdy, the original 1230 came in the Butcher/VTM 412M/MS cabs originally, and according to James Fields, is the best speaker they ever made. This speaker had an extremely short life though, as it was right around the time Eddie came on board, and was the basis for the original 1200. Changes were made, the 1230 was dropped as the parts were needed for the 1200 speaker and they didn't want to used the same parts across 2 different speakers at the time (not sure why but it had something to do with Eddie) The 1200 went through many parts and supplier changes which is why some sound good and some sound awful. The new 1230+ harkens back to the original 1230 design with some tweaks, and I think it's a fantastic speaker.

3 - Yes, I'm a hoarder. Yes, I'm working on it. No, it does not seem to be helping :)

I haven't been in here in a minute. I was avoiding the internet for.....a while. Haha. It can be rather taxing trying to reply to everyone while doing this thing (I know, cry me a river :) )
I recently put a screen time tracker on the front page of my phone. Helps put into perspective how much time I spend on the internet. I've been trying to cut down myself but I'm sure your experience on the internet is much different than mine! Hope things are getting better for you!

Hey all!
New forum member here. Name is Kyle. I'm an amp and cab/speaker nut/collector and have frequented other forums for over 10 years now. I also have a YouTube channel primarialy focusing on high gain thrash/hardcore tones and amp/pedal showcase type videos.

A litlle while back, someone had asked me if I'd like to participate in an Ask Me Anything thread on this forum. I feel like a dick because I had actually agreed to it and then forgotten about it and couldn't remember the forum.....I finally figured out that it was this forum. If you guys are interested, would definitely still love to have the opportunity to do so! If not, no worries.

Happy to have found another forum that hopefully isn't loaded down with holier-than-thou types or people constantly starting pointless arguments for their own entertainment :rofl
Hey welcome here, im your subscriber on your ch….. i admit i skip intros lol :sofa

Hey Kyle, not much to say more besides: Thanks for just using a damn single SM57 and be done. I *can't* stand amp demos with multiple mic setups, that I won't even afford by selling kidney.

All the people lamenting *oh, this and that amp does not cut sit in/cut through the mix well*... Maybe your mic choice just sucks.

Also thx for talking fast. I HATE youtubers, that take like a solid minute to get a sentence out. Got no time!

Hey Kyle, harking back to the Peavey Sheffield 1230/1230+.
So what are those Sheffield 1230's that are all over the place on the used market? AFAIR, Peavey even had them in some of their solid state Transtube combos, can't imagine, they're the "best" Peavey ever made... :unsure:
Sometimes they have an Eminence-like 6-arm basket, some have a Celestion-like 4-arm, which maybe a hint, that there are quite a few versions of them out there. Maybe you have some first hand infos on them :giggle:

Hey Kyle, harking back to the Peavey Sheffield 1230/1230+.
So what are those Sheffield 1230's that are all over the place on the used market? AFAIR, Peavey even had them in some of their solid state Transtube combos, can't imagine, they're the "best" Peavey ever made... :unsure:
Sometimes they have an Eminence-like 6-arm basket, some have a Celestion-like 4-arm, which maybe a hint, that there are quite a few versions of them out there. Maybe you have some first hand infos on them :giggle:
Man, there are a bunch of different models of Sheffield out on the market, so it's tough to really nail anything down. There are lots of variations of the same model as well.

The 1200 is technically the 5150 speaker, which has gone through changes over the years, both in parts sourcing and design itself. It eventually morphed into the chrome basket 6505 speaker, which itself went through multiple variations.

The 5150/1200 Sheffield was born out of the original 1230, which was short lived in the old 412ms Butcher/Vtm cabs (NOT the metal grate front loaded later version of the 412ms) and was their take on a Greenback. I've actually never played one of these speakers in that cabinet, but have had them in both an ultra 112 and bandit 112 combo, and they actually sound quite good. They unfortunately had to use this design as the base of the 5150 speaker when Eddie came over, but changed out the cone to sound more like eddies old broken in celesto
ins in his favorite cab. I guess Hartley didnt want to keep both in production being that they needed the parts and production focused on the 5150 line since they sold like crazy.

The 1290 was Sheffield's take on the g12t75. I can definitely hear this. Scooped. big loose low end, VERY sharp top end. this is the speaker that generally gives Sheffield a bad rep along with some of the 5150 speakers because..... they don't sound that great imo. some people love them though. These came in the metal front loaded 412ms cabinets that were released with the ultra line.

The Jsx speaker was a 5150 speaker with a different cone. actually not bad sounding.

Finally, the triple xxx speaker. basically a 100 watt take on the Vintage 30. Stiffer, cleaner, and leaner. Ultra tight with virtually no break up. I actually love these speakers and think they're a diamond in the rough.

The 1230+ is a revival of the 12:30 that was discontinued, but with modern parts and some tweets to get it closer to how they originally wanted it to sound. definitely a higher powered greenback type vibe.

There's a cheap 3120 close to me. I still want to try one of those amps.

Back