Kyle Bull

Man, there are a bunch of different models of Sheffield out on the market, so it's tough to really nail anything down. There are lots of variations of the same model as well.

The 1200 is technically the 5150 speaker, which has gone through changes over the years, both in parts sourcing and design itself. It eventually morphed into the chrome basket 6505 speaker, which itself went through multiple variations.

The 5150/1200 Sheffield was born out of the original 1230, which was short lived in the old 412ms Butcher/Vtm cabs (NOT the metal grate front loaded later version of the 412ms) and was their take on a Greenback. I've actually never played one of these speakers in that cabinet, but have had them in both an ultra 112 and bandit 112 combo, and they actually sound quite good. They unfortunately had to use this design as the base of the 5150 speaker when Eddie came over, but changed out the cone to sound more like eddies old broken in celesto
ins in his favorite cab. I guess Hartley didnt want to keep both in production being that they needed the parts and production focused on the 5150 line since they sold like crazy.

The 1290 was Sheffield's take on the g12t75. I can definitely hear this. Scooped. big loose low end, VERY sharp top end. this is the speaker that generally gives Sheffield a bad rep along with some of the 5150 speakers because..... they don't sound that great imo. some people love them though. These came in the metal front loaded 412ms cabinets that were released with the ultra line.

The Jsx speaker was a 5150 speaker with a different cone. actually not bad sounding.

Finally, the triple xxx speaker. basically a 100 watt take on the Vintage 30. Stiffer, cleaner, and leaner. Ultra tight with virtually no break up. I actually love these speakers and think they're a diamond in the rough.

The 1230+ is a revival of the 12:30 that was discontinued, but with modern parts and some tweets to get it closer to how they originally wanted it to sound. definitely a higher powered greenback type vibe.

Hey Kyle, thanks a lot for all the useful info!

Need to have a look at those triple xxx speakers. The way you describe them, sounds EXACTLY like I want a guitar speaker to be or to feel these days, apart from the EQ curve.

Kyle, I know your master in buying stuff cheap (but good) so can you suggest me an audio interface for under 200€? NOT the scarlet, I had that 2years ago and not so good..

Kyle, I know your master in buying stuff cheap (but good) so can you suggest me an audio interface for under 200€? NOT the scarlet, I had that 2years ago and not so good..
The Scarlett is as good as it gets in the budget segment, what didn't you like about it?

New york sharp cheddar. I literally eat it by the block.

800px-Crown_of_Saint_Edward_%28Heraldry%29.svg.png

The Scarlett is as good as it gets in the budget segment, what didn't you like about it?
I could never get any kind of definition out of plugins that sounded good in YT videos. Of course videos get mastered but people raved about neural's plugins, I didnt like their sound any more than say audio assault or mercurial. Good but not what I expected.

So @KyleBull , given the vid you just published on the Badlander with the Mr. Scary mod, would you go for this setup or a Headfirst Alta if you had to choose?
Any chance you'll feature the Ground Zero Hellion on the channel sometime this year?

So @KyleBull , given the vid you just published on the Badlander with the Mr. Scary mod, would you go for this setup or a Headfirst Alta if you had to choose?
Any chance you'll feature the Ground Zero Hellion on the channel sometime this year?
Completely different animals, IMO with the Alta being a Marshall time machine, being able to cover all eras of modded M tones, and the Badlander being a very modern voiced american amplifier. Room for both!

I could never get any kind of definition out of plugins that sounded good in YT videos. Of course videos get mastered but people raved about neural's plugins, I didnt like their sound any more than say audio assault or mercurial. Good but not what I expected.
It's possible you had your input gain too high. That will make the plugins sound very thick/dark/boomy. I try to keep my peak signal around -10 on the DAW meter. Makes the plugins sound as they should

Back