Kemper Player - 1st [ Paid for ? ] Update coming very soon ?

Ultimately, they get their cash from their distribution networks. It has only been comparatively recently that Gibson and Fender have started selling direct right??

Yes I suppose so but if the guitars aren't selling then retailers order less each time so I guess I'm screwing over retailers and manufacturers by only buying used guitars.

There can't be a lot of industries though where you're competing against all of the products you've ever made over the course of 60 years. Expecially one where the designs haven't really changed since 1959.

I'd be far more gung-ho about the ToneX, if the capture process didn't suck balls. As such, the NC is more appealing for captures, even if it's not as "accurate". If IK ever figures out an easier capture method (in terms of the proper gainstaging), then I'll jump in.
Same. I’m looking for a small backup for next year tour and I can’t believe that only the tone X gives you 3 switches.

Why the hell others can give 3 switches???
Clean crunch lead is just so obvious.

It's got to be a tough spot to be in though. Guitars aren't unusable or out of date after 5-10 years like most tech products so fenders products from yesterday up to sixty years ago are competing with their products from today. The scale of the problem only really gets worse too.

I haven't bought a new guitar in years so no guitar manufacturer has had any cash from me in almost 20 years. I know loads of people like that.
Fortunately for the manufacturers the supply of new humans is growing right along side the rest of the customer base. And TicTock Instagram etc have great number of them thinking ‘why not me’?!?

Man, I've always had A LOT of respect for Kemper. He developed a great platform, and managed to build a huge community of pro level profiles and whatnot.

I was even moderately interested in the player when it came out. Not being able to profile on its own was the biggest downside to me... But even so, well, I've got a couple mates with a toaster so I could more or less go over it. Effects seemed to be enough for me, and liked the form factor, etc. Somehow, I was slightly open to try one.

But yeah... Today's news are obscene in my opinion. The ecosystem is getting old, several companies have already overtaken Kemper's tone quality, and spending almost 1k in that little thing (which still can't profile)... No, man. I've seen a couple times used Stages for 900€, and toasters for less than 800€.

Today, my respect for Kemper has gone down several points. And I'm sad to say it.

Fortunately for the manufacturers the supply of new humans is growing right along side the rest of the customer base. And TicTock Instagram etc have great number of them thinking ‘why not me’?!?

That's true but then new guitar sales are also down year on year. They spiked during the pandemic but we've already dropped below pre pandemic levels for new guitars. There's loads of reasons for it but there's no denying the market is absolutely flooded with used instruments.

I'd guess around 10-15% of the userbase. But it is that 10-15% of the userbase that has sold a lot of Kempers over the years, in my estimation.

Methinks it's actually single digits. I know a good bunch of Kemper owners, and all but one never profiled anything - they just amass as many third party profiles as they can.

Last edited:
Totally agree.

I don't think it's built for people who have 1 or 2 amps and want to capture them for gigging. Odds are those people won't have the tools and expertise to properly capture their amps. And the people who have tons of gear that needs to be captured would probably not worry much about having a full size Kemper to do that job.
And still what a kemper does really great is profiling your own gear. It’s what it’s made for.

I owned a stage for 2 years and was never satisfied then I realized you can only be happy with it if you profile your own rig.
Or else you will be damned to play with other people gear settings and above all ears …

Yes I suppose so but if the guitars aren't selling then retailers order less each time so I guess I'm screwing over retailers and manufacturers by only buying used guitars.

There can't be a lot of industries though where you're competing against all of the products you've ever made over the course of 60 years. Expecially one where the designs haven't really changed since 1959.
Especially if one day some company like thomann make a phone call and say « hey we need to talk about your products »… 😅

Is that the crying guy 😥 on TOP
James Van Der Beek Thumbs Up GIF by The Streamy Awards

Kemper still sound awesome
Agree. That's why I still had some interest in getting one.
i dont think other companies have already overtaken Kemper Tone
If I force myself to have maximum objectivity... Yeah, there are several companies that have improved the capturing thing (based on cold numbers).

The few measurable factors say so. The rest are subjective, non measurable factors. Not saying they're less important... But these ones show users that prefer Kemper send users that prefer others.

OK, I did the free firmware update and now the updated Rig Manager can't load any of the saved rig reverb or delay names.

This is happening on the Mac version and iOS version.

Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited:
Back