Clean boost that can get gritty without a volume jump?

Boost with no volume jump?

Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

:rofl
I should clarify. I don't want something like a microamp where it kicks up the channel level by 48db :oops::eek::rofl

I'd def send one your way if I had one, JT. It's a really good recommendation.

This also sounds a lot like Timmy territory to me, too. :idk
Maybe I need to try the Caline again? Problem is my ears like one thing up loud at home (:satan) but gigging band is not in that vein. As well as seeing how it sits in the actual band mix.

fwiw, I used the Amp50 a number of years live. My rig was mostly set on the cleaner side unless I was using some custom amp build of mine. I'd run gain pedals after the amp50, like fuzz, ts9 and tube driver. End of chain boost was either a giggity or a mesa v-twin.

I’m confused…a clean boost with grit is no longer a clean boost in my mind ;-)

something with 2 sides, boost & drive? Jackson audio golden/broken arrow?

Used to own Xotic RC/AC/BB/EP…all good stuff!

I liked your idea of throwing the Rat at it. IMO the Rat makes an awesome boost and the various combinations of the filter and level knobs allow you to go from bright and crunchy to round and punchy as needed.

My Rat also sounds cool into the clean channel on my Mark III. Lots to love there.

I’m confused…a clean boost with grit is no longer a clean boost in my mind ;-)

something with 2 sides, boost & drive? Jackson audio golden/broken arrow?

Used to own Xotic RC/AC/BB/EP…all good stuff!
I might be overcomplicating things :rofl
I liked your idea of throwing the Rat at it. IMO the Rat makes an awesome boost and the various combinations of the filter and level knobs allow you to go from bright and crunchy to round and punchy as needed.

My Rat also sounds cool into the clean channel on my Mark III. Lots to love there.
Yeah I'm probably going to start here.

Yeah I'm probably going to start here.

Especially if you already have it on hand (I think you said you had a mini). Could be perfect.

Someone else mentioned it already, but def check out the Xotic RC Booster. That’s the Kinky Boost in Helix land. You can turn off the boost and then it gives you drive and level so you can crunch it up a little if you want to. I also find the bright switch to be very useful for adding some bite to the string feel. This is my go-to through my 1959.

Especially if you already have it on hand (I think you said you had a mini). Could be perfect.

Someone else mentioned it already, but def check out the Xotic RC Booster. That’s the Kinky Boost in Helix land. You can turn off the boost and then it gives you drive and level so you can crunch it up a little if you want to. I also find the bright switch to be very useful for adding some bite to the string feel. This is my go-to through my 1959.
Yeah I grabbed a mini RAT clone off Amazon a while ago. Supposedly it has the LM chip and is a good faithful alternative blablahblah? Not sure how much of that is too much forum/internet time or actually a meaningful fact. It sounds great either way.
Friedman Buxom Boost is ideal for that IMHO
Good call. It came up in a search for this purpose. The one in the FM9 is great and I expect the Freidman would be even better.

RC Booster (or clone) does it all the time for me. Love the low and hi controls for finetuning. Clones cost next to nothing - I bought three for less than half of the original's (which I also own) price all together.

Reactions: JT
I really like the Buxom but one I'm using currently is the Gridle Cake, love me some cake

RC Booster (or clone) does it all the time for me. Love the low and hi controls for finetuning. Clones cost next to nothing - I bought three for less than half of the original's (which I also own) price all together.
I'm probably going to end up with a RC clone of some sort because I'm hopeless and clones are cheap :rofl

What's out there that can act as a clean boost but does have some grit on hand if you push it, without a volume jump? The VII is a bit pickier with boosts than the Badlander is. I just need to push the crunch channel a bit more as needed. The OCD is obviously not a clean boost and I do like it (even when dialed back) with the VII as well as the Mosky Silver Horsie but neither is quite "there". Obviously; everything is an excuse to buy something observation duly noted :rofl
My favorite clean boost was Wampler Ego Comp with the mix dialed in low - adds boat and just a touch of compression. Obviously no grit.

My favorite clean boost was Wampler Ego Comp with the mix dialed in low - adds boat and just a touch of compression. Obviously no grit.
I've wanted to try the Wampler stuff for a long while but just never pulled the trigger. Our next show is on the 19th and I am betting I won't have anything new to add before then.

I could probably get by where I am. I noticed I liked where I was sitting with my solo snap engaged. Basically 3db higher than running volume at any given point. A compressor would make things pop like this as well I am thinking.

Back