It’s not the modeler…it’s something else that determines the endresult.

Exactly. Given people “should” know better doesn’t mean they will and for sure these modelers are marketed as aping your favorite amp. If modeler manufacturers would have stayed away from BS marketing hype they would hav saved themselves some headache.
I see both sides of this though. And I agree with DI as well as what you are saying. But in what world of anywhere would someone expect a digital box and a couple of glorified PA speakers or worse yet, a pair of headphones; to sound just like a cranked amp through a 4x12? Even when I wasn't using this gear; I could figure that out from the jump ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It seems pretty common sense minded to me?

But in what world of anywhere would someone expect a digital box and a couple of glorified PA speakers or worse yet, a pair of headphones; to sound just like a cranked amp through a 4x12? Even when I wasn't using this gear; I could figure that out from the jump ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It seems pretty common sense minded to me?
Yeah you’d think it would be obvious but some people don’t really think that far and evidently a good number for sure buy into the hype. I don’t think at least a decent number people would have just assumed it would sound like a cranked amp if they hadn’t been told it would by the marketing and forum zealots.

Yeah you’d think it would be obvious but some people don’t really think that far and evidently a good number for sure buy into the hype. I don’t think at least a decent number people would have just assumed it would sound like a cranked amp if they hadn’t been told it would.
Pro-tip: Always Think That FarTM

I have a really hard time laying blame at modeling companies when people are making purchases in excess of $2K and not doing so in an informed manner. It takes all of 60 seconds to do a search for what kind of speakers/monitors/output system to use with these, people have been using this technology for over 20 years now. Both TGP and the FAS forum have people asking this question on a daily/weekly basis and a thread on it is generally not far away from the newest post.

Man, you guys are giving way too much credit to the general public. Remember, the average IQ is 100. That means half the people are below that. Think about that just for a minute.

Man, you guys are giving way too much credit to the general public. Remember, the average IQ is 100. That means half the people are below that. Think about that just for a minute.

Well half the population is women … a sexiest would say

And clearly some portion of the population doesn't know the correct spelling of "sexist." :facepalm

I like the way it is

Or it’s simply autocorrect… lol

You try too hard J to score weak points lmao - you played the Grammar Nazi gambit on the Internet lol

Pour One Out Malt Liquor GIF

The thread title is not complete, nor is the message entirely correct. There's no one thing that "determines the endresult," there are instead a number of things that place limits on the result. Here's a partial list:

1. The modeler.
2. The instrument.
3. The monitoring system.
4. The skills of the user in configuring the modeler.
5. The ability of the player to exploit the capabilities of the system.

Items 4 and 5 also play a role in the ability to recognize and identify issues with items 1 - 3.

Last edited:
Yeah you’d think it would be obvious but some people don’t really think that far and evidently a good number for sure buy into the hype. I don’t think at least a decent number people would have just assumed it would sound like a cranked amp if they hadn’t been told it would by the marketing and forum zealots.
Did you have any idea about speakers and marketing hype when you picked up a guitar at age 14? How about 18? How about 22?

Are people under the impression that speakers are like how some whackaloons think about tubes, like they're some sort of mysterious phenomenon we don't have a very good understanding of? Its pretty common engineering knowledge on how to build a speaker or speaker system to fit specific parameters, and yeah, for our case, where dispersion is pretty important, it can get a bit deep, but its not unobtanium.

It often feels like were having to hear speaker claims and complaints by people who believe in things like tonewood

Back